WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: No X11 !!  (Read 7052 times)

Offline hallevison

No X11 !!
« on: November 03, 2012, 10:25:43 PM »
Hi:

I have been using linux for years, but I am new at trying to install it..  I am also new to TC.  I am trying to load TC onto a machine so I can dual boot with a more complete linux.  That linux is there and so it grub.  I have a Live CD with TC plus and it seems to run fine when I boot from the CD.  I am using the install instructions from /distro.ibiblio.org/tinycorelinux/install.html,  which uses the tc-install.  Everything seems to work fine, but when I boot the new install from grub, there is no X11.  None at all.  If I run sudo find / X11, I get nothing. If I run  sudo find / startx, I get nothing.  The FAQ says that I might need to run tinycore xsetup, but a file called tinycore also does not exist.

When I tc-install, I set swapfile=sdb3, home=sdb6, vga=792.  I have tried it with and without xsetup and it makes no difference.  The install type is set to 'Core and X/GUI Desktop' .  I also install WiFi support, ndiswrapper, Wireless Firmware, Remaster Tool, and non-US keyboards.  The only other thing I can think of is that step 6 in the install instructions I referenced above does not occur for me.  I.e. I do not get a window that asks me where to load the extensions from.

Does anyone know what is going on?.

Thanks! 

Offline vinnie

• HandMace informatic works
Re: No X11 !!
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 04:37:06 AM »
Try in terminal :
tce-status -i

is the list of packages "installed" at that time.
At the beginning of the list there is a package called  Xorg... ?

Offline hallevison

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 04:40:58 AM »
tce-status -i also does not return anything.

When I installed the packkage, I was not connected to the internet.  Could that be a problem?

Offline hallevison

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 06:06:51 AM »
Well, I restalled it for the third time and this time X works.  I don't think I did anything differently, however.  Now there is no wireless, but at least I am making progress.

Offline vinnie

• HandMace informatic works
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 06:24:43 AM »
tce-status -i also does not return anything.

When I installed the packkage, I was not connected to the internet.  Could that be a problem?

In tce directory where you installed tinycore there is a file *.list them lists the packages that are installed automatically on startup.

Probably you have installed the packages in a way that the programs did not start "on boot".

That's why the command tce-status -i do not returning any package.

If you try it now that xorg works, you will notice that it is listed.

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 07:20:24 AM »
Along with  this
swapfile=sdb3, home=sdb6, vga=792
need to specify the location of extensions

eg: from one of my config files for extlinux
KERNEL /boot/vmlinuz
APPEND initrd=/boot/core.gz loglevel=3 waitusb=5:LABEL=TINYCORE noswap tce=sda1 opt=sda1 home=sda1

Or from a grub "menu.lst" file
title TinyCore
find --set-root /tce/boot/vmlinuz
kernel /tce/boot/vmlinuz  loglevel=3 waitusb=5:LABEL=TINYCORE noswap tce=sda1 opt=sda1 home=sda1
initrd /tce/boot/core.gz

« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 07:33:45 AM by coreplayer2 »