WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: piCore SD card image.  (Read 45103 times)

Offline meo

Re: piCore SD card image.
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2013, 11:57:28 AM »
Hi bmarkus!

Just want to say that I tried piCore-X today and it performed very good even though I used an old 1 GB card that is rather slow. Good work! I've tried chromium-browser in the Raspbian OS and it works pretty good. Would it be something for piCore? Thanks again!

Kind regards,
meo
"All that is very well," answered Candide, "but let us cultivate our garden." - Francois-Marie Arouet Voltaire

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2013, 01:32:44 PM »
Hi Meo

thanks, glad to hear you like it. According to Chromium docs to build it you need min. 3GB RAM, lot of storage space and many, many dependencies. So no way to build native, chross compilation nearly impossible. Spent a week trying to build webkit as an alternative, but it always failed at different point. There is an issue to build the jva scripting engine too. So finally I gave it up.

In my view Raspberry Pi is not for a desktop but for embedded applicationy, like servers, for robotics, for balloon control or whatever you can imagine, where you do noot need even X but a CLI with SSH access :) TC fits very well to this environment. If you still need a desktop, you can use Raspbian, ARCH or another distro.

On piCore I use netsurf which is small and why missing for example JAVA, you can browse most WEB sites including flashing and dancin news sites, I'm happy with it when no other browser around.

BTW, Raspbian is buil native but on a fast and large ARM7 board.

Regards... Bela
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline meo

« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2013, 11:49:56 PM »
Hi bmarkus!

I used netsurf for the first time yesterday with piCore-X and it was a very positive experience. I found that it was possible to make the cache larger which ment that it would be more responsive and quite fast. All that on an old slow 1 GB SD card. A very positive experience indeed! Thanks for making it possible!

Have fun extending the limits of piCore,
meo
"All that is very well," answered Candide, "but let us cultivate our garden." - Francois-Marie Arouet Voltaire

Offline beerstein

« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2013, 08:30:09 AM »
Hi:
I have RaspberryPI version B and would like to install TinyCore 4.7 --- which card image should I download?
As far as I understand the forum piCore has command line only
what is the difference between piCore and piCore X  ?

Thank you for help
t(w)o be(ers) or not t(w)o be(ers) that is the question

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2013, 03:23:03 PM »
piCore is like Core, the base CLI system.

piCore-X is similar to TC, it is piCore with preinstalled GUI
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."