WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Hurricane Sandy and After  (Read 4184 times)

Offline thane

Hurricane Sandy and After
« on: October 29, 2012, 06:04:39 PM »
Hurricane Sandy is hitting the U.S. east coast. Are any TCL users being affected?

Edit: I've renamed this thread because the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy (and more recent bad weather) is still impacting many on the east coast.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 12:46:50 AM by thane »

Offline Rich

• Administrator
Re: Hurricane Sandy
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 06:10:17 PM »
Hi thane
Yes, I'm on Long Island. It's 9PM, I've been running on my generator since 5PM. A large tree in my yard fell between
my house and my garage, no damage. The streets 2 blocks east and 3 blocks south of me are flooded.

Offline thane

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 06:13:53 PM »
Hi Rich. Living in Hawaii I'm out of it of course, and my son in southern Virginia says it wasn't too bad where he was. My sister-in-law lives in New York City though which looks like it might get a heavier hit.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 06:20:18 PM »
Hi thane
I think NYC and NJ are getting the brunt of it right now. On the bright side, I don't have to worry about volcanos
melting my computers.

Offline thane

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 06:30:47 PM »
Well, neither do I here on Oahu -- the active ones are on Hawaii Island quite a way south! Plus I'm 800 feet or so above sea level so I don't have to worry about tsunamis either. We do get hurricanes of course but the last big one was 20 years ago. That probably means we're due for one. I've heard (don't know if it's true) that when the Atlantic has a lot the Pacific is usually quiet though (and vice versa).
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 06:40:43 PM by thane »

Offline Lee

• My Core wiki user page
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 07:51:00 AM »
I suppose if you get a tsunami that big then the rest of us are in trouble, too!

Its just another rainy day in Apollo, PA (Pittsburgh-ish).  There's nothing like 3 hundred miles and mountain range to keep the weather "moderated".    :)    All the predictions were that  it would be bad even here - "better stock up on food and bottled water".  I like the ones that say "better head to the liquor store".

Best of luck to those taking the brunt of the storm.  Be safe.
32 bit core4.7.7, Xprogs, Xorg-7.6, wbar, jwm  |  - Testing -
PPR, data persistence through filetool.sh          |  32 bit core 8.0 alpha 1
USB Flash drive, one partition, ext2, grub4dos  | Otherwise similar

Offline thane

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 11:10:59 AM »
My son in southern VA is back at work already, but my sister-in-law in NYC doesn't have power and doesn't know when it'll be on again.

Offline genec

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 08:45:58 PM »
Many people here thought of Lee and the devastation they're still recovering from (including how it royally messed up FEMA's formulas after they just finished reworking the maps in the last 6 years).  Meanwhile, high winds and moderate rain.  We'll see in the coming days but unlikely to do anything substantial.

Offline cURIOUSgEORGE

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2012, 02:33:02 PM »
Okay, it's been a few days, and mean while cURIOUSgEORGE is sitting on his roof waiting for a helicopter, but hey, thank god it's nothing substantial.

:o

Offline thane

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2012, 01:43:03 PM »
Heard from my sister-in-law in NYC yesterday. She had a lean 4 days subsisting on snack foods but she's OK and the power's back on.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2012, 05:41:19 PM »
Hi thane
I'm still running from my generator. Unfortunately, gasoline is getting very hard to come by, most stations are sold out.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2012, 05:34:24 PM »
Just got my power restored, and just in time for the nor'easter that is now upon us.

Offline Lee

• My Core wiki user page
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2012, 06:34:05 PM »
@ Rich - glad to hear you have your power back.  Not so glad to hear about a new storm on the way.

About that generator - do you have to do anything special to run your electronics on its power?  I once tried to run some servers from a rental generator and it didn't supply clean enough power to allow the UPS units to kick out - they just stayed on battery power until they died.
32 bit core4.7.7, Xprogs, Xorg-7.6, wbar, jwm  |  - Testing -
PPR, data persistence through filetool.sh          |  32 bit core 8.0 alpha 1
USB Flash drive, one partition, ext2, grub4dos  | Otherwise similar

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2012, 06:52:01 PM »
Hi Lee
I keep my computer and monitor plugged in an  APC ES-750  UPS. It clicks occasionally when a heavy load such
as my heating system kicks in, but recovers right away as the generator compensates for the higher load.
If the output of the generator was noisy, an LC filter might help. It's also possible the generator was not producing
a high enough voltage, causing the UPS to see a low line voltage.

Offline cast-fish

• hi there
Re: Hurricane Sandy and After
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2012, 10:26:14 AM »
Hello

hurrendous isn't it. That New York  hurricane disaster. 

What?,,,,a city like that not protected?

Vince.