WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Core v4.7rc1  (Read 20021 times)

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
Re: Core v4.7rc1
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2012, 04:47:56 PM »
Here's a suggestion for a bugfix for the bug in the "apps"-app I reported earlier.

Tested on my machine, works fine there, and also resolves the directory shown in the gui.

Greetings,
SvOlli
I wouldn't call this a bug. The path is set at boot via boot code or tce-setdrive.
There has been no reported issue when used as designed or expected.
Unless one is manually editing the path to be relative such would not normally be encountered.
You must be using the system in a remarkable fashion.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline netnomad

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2012, 10:49:57 PM »

Ah, that is the old format of an ondemand item. Please delete and re-create ondemand items.
        Thanks for reporting.

hi roberts,

i deleted and re-created my libreoffice.scm ondemand-entry twice and i had no success.
    do you perhaps mean that the scm-packages need to be recreated by the scm-maintainers,
    because there need different start-scripts?

thank you for your help.

I have not been able to reproduce your issue. Tested both libreoffice 3.5 and 3.6 scm. There is no change to actual scm.
The format of the ondemand item yes. Use the delete option of scmapps ondemand maintenance,
this should remove the ondemand item. Then use the add option of scmapps ondemand maintenance.
If you still have a problem, then please post the contents of your ondemand item and which window manager you are using.

hi roberts,

it still happens althought i deleted the ondemand item twice.

i use fluxbox and my ondemand file looks like that:
#!/bin/sh
ondemand -e libreoffice3.6.scm

BTW in the ondemand gui i could not delete the ondemand item,
so i deleted it manually.

thank you for your efforts and your commitment.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 10:52:15 PM by netnomad »

Offline SvOlli

• Linux Developer
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2012, 11:36:53 PM »
You must be using the system in a remarkable fashion.
I'll let you decide if it's a remarkable fashion: I migrated my development system from a virtual machine to a chroot jail including the desktop running in an Xnest server. Works like a charm, as fast as can be, memory limitation is not as tight, which is nice, since I'm compiling on tmpfs, and building Qt was always a bit tight there. The link is relative, so it works from outside as well as inside the chroot jail.

BTW: since this is a 64 bit "host", I run the start of the system using "linux32", so all autodetection of the architecture work as expected, since the reported kernel architecture is not the same as the userland tools. This might be also useful for the 64bit initrd.

Greetings,
SvOlli

[edit: fixed a lot of ugly typos]
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 10:28:14 AM by SvOlli »

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2012, 06:57:58 AM »
@svolli

Based on a quick look, that patch would change the current dir. Currently it's tce/optional, after it would seem to be just tce?
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2012, 08:20:12 AM »

Ah, that is the old format of an ondemand item. Please delete and re-create ondemand items.
        Thanks for reporting.

hi roberts,

i deleted and re-created my libreoffice.scm ondemand-entry twice and i had no success.
    do you perhaps mean that the scm-packages need to be recreated by the scm-maintainers,
    because there need different start-scripts?

thank you for your help.

I have not been able to reproduce your issue. Tested both libreoffice 3.5 and 3.6 scm. There is no change to actual scm.
The format of the ondemand item yes. Use the delete option of scmapps ondemand maintenance,
this should remove the ondemand item. Then use the add option of scmapps ondemand maintenance.
If you still have a problem, then please post the contents of your ondemand item and which window manager you are using.

hi roberts,

it still happens althought i deleted the ondemand item twice.

i use fluxbox and my ondemand file looks like that:
#!/bin/sh
ondemand -e libreoffice3.6.scm

BTW in the ondemand gui i could not delete the ondemand item,
so i deleted it manually.

thank you for your efforts and your commitment.
Found it. Fixed it. Thanks!

Offline SvOlli

• Linux Developer
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2012, 10:26:01 AM »
@svolli

Based on a quick look, that patch would change the current dir. Currently it's tce/optional, after it would seem to be just tce?
Yes, your right. Thanks for the catch. For the stuff added, I also wanted to slim down the code a bit, and went over the top with removing the line
Code: [Select]
chdir(target_dir.c_str()); // ...Anyway, with this line re-added, it should work exactly like before except that the symbolic link is resolved properly, even when it's relative.

Greetings,
SvOIli

Offline AbNoRMiS

• nothing can be impeccable in this imperfect world
    • @ß№®M!$
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2012, 09:58:33 PM »
after previous discussions about ondemand for scm i'm very surprised that it was made
because after i have used scm all this time and concluded that ondemand is unessential for scm
only need remove md5 verification when loading scm because it slows booting from slow media (such as usb2.0)
boot speed will increase many times if only check return code of command mount exactly as during loading tcz
although i still think that ondemand likely is useful idea for scm

p.s.
perhaps worth make dropdown list to select installation method similar to same list for tczs
OnBoot
OnDemand
Download + Load
Download Only
and maybe even consider to create single apps browser gui
for example make two dropdown menus tcz and scm
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 01:44:26 AM by AbNoRMiS »
Basic Design Concept © @ß№®M!$
please forgive my terrible english :)

Offline AbNoRMiS

• @ß№®M!$
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2012, 11:28:19 PM »
i have many installed tczs and most of them as ondemand except desktop environment and those which must be onboot
i always believed that it was a very successful solution to keep most tczs as ondemand and run them by one mouse click
therefore decision about what ondemand icons will displayed only after loading seems little strange and not so clear
may needed to give possibility of choice to enable or disable ondemand icons displaying for example by some bootcode?

p.s.
i would also like to add that after updating 4.6.2 to 4.7rc1
for not loaded tczs icons are not disappeared from wbar
thank god :)
but when i tested coreplus-4.7rc1.iso with jwm in virtualbox
icons does not appear in wbar after loading via ondemand menu
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 01:16:22 AM by AbNoRMiS »

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2012, 08:44:48 AM »
The wbar icon has always functioned as a means to launch. There is no way to indicate all the states of an scm. Whereas with a tcz it is always with the goal to launch. SCMs have the additional state to remove. It simplifies the operation if the goal of seeing/using an icon is consistent. And given the fact that both the menu and the icon with regards to ondemand call the same item.

I am always open to suggestions but be it noted, no matter what course I choose I will and cannot please everyone.

With regard to your observation you must have a mix of both old and new ondemend items.
Let it also be stated that ondemand items are entirely editable and thus maintainable by the user.

I would think it better to reduce and simplify than to combine and make more choices. KISS
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 02:39:43 PM by roberts »

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2012, 09:05:45 AM »
@svolli

Yes, your right. Thanks for the catch. For the stuff added, I also wanted to slim down the code a bit, and went over the top with removing the line
chdir(target_dir.c_str()); // ...Anyway, with this line re-added, it should work exactly like before except that the symbolic link is resolved properly, even when it's relative.

Greetings,
SvOIli
Accepted and applied  for 4.7rc2.

Offline AbNoRMiS

• @ß№®M!$
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2012, 06:28:11 PM »
onboot and ondemand are only different methods of installing/running apps
that are designed for faster system boot and reduce system overhead
and i believed that users should be able to see/run these apps in usual way
because they were installed anyway regardless of installation method
KISS/MISS
if unable keep it simple then can try make it
but unfortunately simple strives to complex

Offline SvOlli

• Linux Developer
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2012, 02:57:01 AM »
Accepted and applied  for 4.7rc2.
Thanks!

Greetings,
SvOIli

Offline uggla

« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2012, 11:04:56 AM »
i have many installed tczs and most of them as ondemand except desktop environment and those which must be onboot
i always believed that it was a very successful solution to keep most tczs as ondemand and run them by one mouse click
therefore decision about what ondemand icons will displayed only after loading seems little strange and not so clear
may needed to give possibility of choice to enable or disable ondemand icons displaying for example by some bootcode?

I simple tool for manually adding wbar icons would be nice.

Offline AbNoRMiS

• @ß№®M!$
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2012, 11:46:18 AM »
yes of course
i have very simple script with which i usually added missing or additional icons for example for start programs from root
but you have to agree that this is just a crutch and i still have not tested whether it will work with new ondemand format
i don't remember whether uploaded it on forum or not but i can put it in Programming & Scripting section if someone needs
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 11:53:03 AM by AbNoRMiS »

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2012, 12:01:18 PM »
Hi AbNoRMiS
Yes, start a new thread under Programming & Scripting if you wish to upload your script.