WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Running piCore in QEMU  (Read 28025 times)

Offline Franxoois

Re: Running piCore in QEMU
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2013, 03:58:43 AM »
I tried to run qemu with the piCore from qemu to test but it doesn't run. That's not so easy. Is there's a tuto to know how to remaster the piCore.gz, to make it run in qemu/raspberry ?

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2013, 08:28:55 AM »
I tried to run qemu with the piCore from qemu to test but it doesn't run. That's not so easy. Is there's a tuto to know how to remaster the piCore.gz, to make it run in qemu/raspberry ?

It is not clear what is your goal. Do you want to run piCore in QEMU or want to run QEMU on the Raspberrey?
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline Franxoois

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2013, 12:56:02 PM »
Sorry for my english.

For the moment I created an .img file I could run and configure in qemu, then copy on a SD card to boot a raspberry.

I run the .img file with qemu thanks to your script and your special piCore.gz created for qemu. When I copy the .img to a sd card, the Raspberry boot with onother the piCore.gz present in the first partition of the .img

If I would like to modify the core linux system, I presume I have to modify the piCore.gz. I don't even know if this is the good way to reduce the time loading extention at boot time.

I may modify the piCore.gz file used by qemu, but if I want to see this modification on the raspberry, I have to modify the piCore.gz on the first partition of the .img. Maybe there is a way to do this modification only once, using the same piCor.gz for the two plateform, qemu and raspi. That's maybe means the piCore.gz present in the .img file for raspberry would contains unecessary kernel used only for qemu.

Offline MysticGriffin

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2016, 07:29:21 PM »
Hi guys,

I know this thread hasn't been active in a while... but it seemed like the best place for me to post this question instead of starting a new topic. Hope that's okay. I'm kind of a forum noob ;)

I have been playing around with TinyCore only a little, with the intent of ultimately running it on ARM architecture. Recently I've been looking at using Raspberry PI, and so have shifted to piCore (I'm excited for the debian packages!). I've successfully managed to get piCore running to the command line but...

The first thing I noticed is that it is really slow to do stuff. There is a very noticeable lag even when just using ls to display the contents of a directory.

Second it's not detecting any hard disks. I've set up a qcow2, it didn't work, so I tried a raw image. It didn't work either. This was created with "qemu-img create -f qcow2 tcdisk.qcow2 128M"
When running picore I've been using "qemu-system-arm -kernel piCore-140513-QEMU -cpu arm1176 -m 256 -M versatilepb -serial stdio -initrd piCore-140519-QEMU.gz -hda tcdisk.img -hdb tcswap.img -append "root=/dev/ram0 elevator=deadline quiet rootwait nortc"

I'm not sure what I've done wrong. Help?

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2016, 10:28:34 PM »

Second it's not detecting any hard disks.

What do you mean not detected? Not seen by the kernel or by piCore? Can yo access the virtual drive with fdisk?

If it is detected by the kernel, is it formatted to ext4?
Béla

Offline MysticGriffin

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2016, 03:32:00 AM »

Second it's not detecting any hard disks.

What do you mean not detected? Not seen by the kernel or by piCore? Can yo access the virtual drive with fdisk?

If it is detected by the kernel, is it formatted to ext4?
Sorry for not giving that info. It cannot be seen by fdisk, and it does not show up in the dev or mnt directory. Mnt has sr0, and dev has ram, which I assume correlate. If there's any other way to look for it I don't know it.

I'm using qemu from Windows 10 64bit. Qemu is the latest build (qemu-w64-setup-20160523.exe)

The drives currently have no formatting. They are raw images made with qemu-img. I need piCore to be able to find them so I can set them up with fdisk.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 03:35:55 AM by MysticGriffin »

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2016, 09:11:06 AM »
The Pi has no SATA, how would it attach hard drives? I think that's a qemu/versatile-specific option that wouldn't be found on a normal Pi kernel config.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline MysticGriffin

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2016, 09:30:23 AM »
The Pi has no SATA, how would it attach hard drives? I think that's a qemu/versatile-specific option that wouldn't be found on a normal Pi kernel config.
That does seem to be a fair point. I never thought of that. But it is in bmarkus' tutorial. And of course the typical installation would have the OS running from an SD card so the idea is similar to a hard disk. I'll play around with that idea when I get back home.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2016, 09:42:59 AM »
Well, when it was written its was working as in the tutorial :)
Béla

Offline CardealRusso

« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2023, 04:46:02 AM »
Hello, bmarkus.

I hope you can update the qemu version of armv6, 7 and aarch64. (As TCL 15 is about to launch, QEMU for 15 would also be good)