WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Battling with VMware tools aka open-vm-tools  (Read 12713 times)

Offline andyj

Re: Battling with VMware tools aka open-vm-tools
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2018, 04:23:26 PM »
To be fair I have not dug into the details of the scripts. Reset is like holding down the power button on a PC. Restart is the graceful way. There isn't a "reboot" script, so I suspect ESXi/VMware does a shutdown, then a power-on. They are all in /etc/vmware-tools. Try "vmware-toolbox-cmd --version" in TC to see the version. I don't know where the version number comes from that ESXi sees. I see this:

I would welcome any help to improve the open-vm-tools extensions. Also, you may notice that when running a ESXi VM in VMware Workstation screen resizing should work if you added vmware-user to your .xsession file like the open-vm-tools-desktop.tcz.info file says. If you use that feature you will probably want to move wbar to the upper left corner.

Offline xy777

Re: Battling with VMware tools aka open-vm-tools
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2018, 07:34:40 AM »
Open VM Tools seem to be running well in my TC VM! The restart option in vCenter does a shut down and I had to power it back on again. No big deal. I'm just glad I can manage the VM correctly with the VMware tools installed now rather than doing a hard reboot/shutdown as before. Also I can see the VMs IP addresses, DNS name and VMware tools version which is helpful.

So andyj, thank you very much for helping me with this and for your patience. You were really helpful!  :)