WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: TinyCore NAS  (Read 7758 times)

Offline secret52

TinyCore NAS
« on: September 17, 2012, 04:46:50 AM »
I was using FreeNAS 7.4 and upgraded to FreeNAS 8 only to find out that it's geared towards businesses with RAIDz and single volume FTP and RSYNC and other crap I don't need.

I was wondering if anyone might be able to help me compile Tiny Core to work as a NAS OS off an 8GB flash drive. My platform is: ASUS C60M1-I Fusion board with 6 2TB Hitachi Deskstar HDDs. I want to be able to administer it from a web interface and have FTP, Torrent, uPnP. I really think Tiny Core would be perfect for this but I'm a total n00b to Linux. Greatly appreciate any help.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
Re: TinyCore NAS
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 04:59:11 AM »
I'm not sure you need to (re)compile tinycore - things might work with the raid and lvm2 extensions?

Offline secret52

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 05:10:44 AM »
I would like to keep RAID out of it since most home users don't have a use for it. Basically what I would like is to set it up as an FTP server where a single login accesses all volumes under the /mnt directory. The whole system can be administered with web access. And need to be able to seed torrents from it using Transmission, uTorrent, or rTorrent with webgui enabled.
FreeNAS used to be able to do this until iXsystems took it over and geared it towards businesses. Hence the reason I'm looking at using Tiny Core to build a powerful NAS system.

ASUS C60M1-I motherboard with 8GB DDR3 1066 RAM, 6 2 TB Hitachi Deskstar HDDs, SeGoN 8GB mini USB drive.

This whole rig is planned to be used as the primary seedbox for IPTVTorrents.com and will hold ALL of the Revision3 archives and currently running shows plus other long forgotten shows. I will also make it a location to get Tiny Core from. Its the only open torrent tracker site dedicated to IPTV and open source. Completely free and funded out of my own pocket.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 07:32:26 AM »
OK, so if you don't need raid then it's a standard tinycore installation?

Offline secret52

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 12:54:01 PM »
If I'm able to administer it from a web interface with FTP and Torrent then yes. I just downloaded CorePlus and will be playing with it in virtualbox. Hopefully it's pretty easy to learn.

Offline secret52

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 01:43:18 PM »
CorePlus installed in VM using Frugal. Now I'm lost as to what to do. Definitly a LOT different from Windows.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 02:37:51 PM »
CorePlus installed in VM using Frugal. Now I'm lost as to what to do. Definitly a LOT different from Windows.

Thankfully :)
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2012, 05:10:47 PM »
Hi secret52
You might want to start by clicking on the AppBrowser icon. Find the  proftpd.tcz  extension and install it to see
if it meets your needs, or check out the  proftpd  website.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 12:33:49 AM »
There is no ready-built webgui that fits your description, unfortunately. Torrent clients may have their own, etc, but no general panel to admin TC exists that I know of.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline secret52

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, 03:58:47 AM »
any way something like webmin could be ported to Tiny Core?

Will try it this weekend and see if proftp works.

In the mean time, transferring all data to a spare windows box for "safe" keeping.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2012, 05:18:05 AM »
Hi secret52
If you are trying to do remote administration you are probably down to three choices:
1. Find individual programs that offer a web interface, either here or externally.
2. Use a remote desktop app. That will let you use command line, GUI, and web GUI apps.
3. Write a custom web interface, which is probably what FreeNAS did.

I have not tried the proftpd.tcz extension myself, but their website indicates it offers a web interface.

Offline brianinmaine

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2012, 07:16:25 PM »
 instead of reinventing the wheel because the new shiny version of Freenas is a huge hog compared to the older version, why not simple downgrade again? I love the way tinycore boots fast and is pretty great for netbooting, but writing a whole web gui would be a big pain. Good luck with whatever you decide.