WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: upgrade TCL  (Read 2537 times)

Offline cast-fish

• hi there
upgrade TCL
« on: September 15, 2012, 01:44:55 PM »
Hello

I did not notice anything in the the FAQ about upgrading TCL

(a) Is it possible to easily upgrade TCL (i assumed you download the new version and burn it?)

But that's not really upgrading tcl is it....it's replacing it.

Say you carried on with (a) above. Would you then be able to follow the steps in the FAQ for
upgrading your existing .tcz apps while in your new version of TCL?

Otherwise, what is the most simple way to upgrade TCL? and upgrade your existing apps.

Thanks

V.

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
Re: upgrade TCL
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 01:53:48 PM »
It is not a big deal.
For minor release updates, replace your core.gz with the new one from the downloads page.
Then run tce-update or update extensions using Apps.

Offline cast-fish

• hi there
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 03:45:48 PM »
Hello

oh. TCL is not installed on disc here. It is booted from the CD disc each time.

V

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 07:01:41 PM »
Means you need the current CD image which includes current core.gz
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline gricks

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 12:35:15 PM »
As cast-fish notes searching for upgrade or update in the TC FAQs finds "How do I update my extensions" but no equivalent "How do I update my tiny core version" 

Whilst upgrading TC maybe not a big deal it is a bigger deal than merely selecting upgrade for distributions like Ubuntu. 

Maybe someone can add clarification as what constitutes minor and non-minor release updates and if another method is needed for non-minor release updates.

Below is a way to replace your core.gz with the new one from the downloads page. 
The method was used to upgrade from version 4.6 to 4.6.2 

In a terminal type...  version 
Make note of the TC version before upgrading. e.g. 4.6 

Find existing core.gz (e.g. in /mnt/sda1/tce/boot) and... mv core.gz core.gzo (ie temporarily rename it to an old version). 

Browse for  http: //distro.ibiblio.org/tinycorelinux/downloads.html (remove space first !)
or google for tiny core downloads. 
Click through the following to find core.gz... 
Release Candidates - Parent Directory - release/ - distribution_files 
Save core.gz where old one was.   

Click on core.md5.txt  to view sumcheck... 
Keep contents e.g. 44b44e36ad46adca1867e49b5cb2d8fb  core.gz 
md5sum core.gz (should give above checksum if ok) 

Select Exit on bottom bar. Select Backup e.g. to sda1/tce 
Select Reboot and then OK 
Test using e.g... 
tc@box:/mnt/sda1/tce/boot$ version 
If all ok eventually remove the old file... rm core.gzo

If TC fails to boot then a) if on a USB memstick pop that in another PC and restore the old core.gz b) if on hard disk use a tool like UNETbootin to wite the TC ISO to a memstick and use that recovery memstick to access the hard disk and restore the old core.gz
The case c) where TC is on a CD has been covered although the use of CDs must be on the decline.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 12:56:30 PM »
Hi gricks
Anytime you are looking to upgrade, you should check TCB News and read the release notes between the
version you are running and the version you looking to upgrade to for any special instructions. If upgrading
from 4.6.0 to 4.6.2, read the notes for 4.6.1 and 4.6.2.

Offline chattrhand

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 01:31:44 PM »
Hi,
I think its easier to download a new tinycore image and burn it to CD than to leave it open and try to add a new core if a newer version comes out. Maybe you complain the unused CD space, but thats the price of reliability, even if you have to manage it for a school classroom.

If your frugal installation(s) won't work well with the new CD (this happened with tc-4.1 to 4.2 afair) you will be happy to have the older CD to save your data and note what extensions you were using before you prepare a new frugal installation with the newest versions of your extensions too.

Also with tc 4.6.1 to 4.6.2 i found a problem: noscript on firefox failed to actualize.
So I ran Apps to actualize firefox and deps and found that  openssl-0.9.8.tcz also failed.
Browsing the extensions I found openssl-1.0.0.tcz and downloaded it.
Now it was possible to run firefox and actualize noscript too.

As openssl.0.9.8.tcz probably has security holes I wanted to throw it out. Apps listed about 10 dependencies and told me that it cannot be removed. So I left it where it is.

Now I create a new frugal installation with actual extensions. That's easy. The directories of the frugal installations get the tc version number and are removed if they are too many or too old, 
Probably I will write a script to ease this job too

My data remain on a separate drive and are not touched

In other words, this is a new way of throw-away-philosophy

chattrhand
TinyCore, SliTaz, LinuxMint, Tails, Mac ...

Offline cast-fish

• hi there
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 06:04:56 AM »
Hello

THankyou for taking the post into account.

It is a little different for each case isn't it.  Whether it is installed, or on CD disc....

For me it meant re-burning a CD disc with my new downloaded TCL version (after the CD disc
had been scrubbed)

Vince.