WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: I just want to say thanks!  (Read 3961 times)

Offline Zero

• Just do it!
    • ALT-NRG
I just want to say thanks!
« on: August 18, 2012, 09:15:39 AM »
Love what you folks are doing here. Been playing with Core Plus for a few days now on my Dell L400, P-III/700, 256MB RAM, 40GB HD partitioned 39G EXT4/1G swap. Never saw a Linux laptop boot almost as fast as DOS. Wish there was support for the Proxim Orinoco Gold PCMCIA card but I'll get over it. ;)

To extend my thanks I've been searching for a Donate or Tip Jar link but can't find one anywhere. Best I can do for now is talk it up to my YouTube fan base of about 16,000 subscribers and Tweet it. Keep up the great work!

Z
"You build a faster box, MS will build you an OS to bring it to its' knees." - Zero

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
Re: I just want to say thanks!
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 09:52:41 AM »
My Linksys cardbus Wlan card uses the orinoco_cs module.
Did you install wifi.tcz?

Offline thane

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 04:33:10 PM »
If you search the forum you'll find the donations issue has been discussed a few times. It looks like the distro founder (roberts) prefers to keep things all-volunteer.

Offline Zero

• Just do it!
    • ALT-NRG
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 08:44:51 PM »
My Linksys cardbus Wlan card uses the orinoco_cs module.
Did you install wifi.tcz?
Yes, I did install wifi.tcz. The laptop is a Dell L400 and the CardBus controller is a Texas Instruments PCI1410. Something has changed since I made this last post. Now the device is recognized but the network is not seen. Not sure what I did to make it change but I'll keep plugging away at it.

Next hurdle after this, Pulse audio to get Skype audio working. Again, I'll get through it. This OS is not turn key. I get it. :)
"You build a faster box, MS will build you an OS to bring it to its' knees." - Zero

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 09:08:38 PM »
Hi Zero
If the machine also has a wired connection, unplug the network cable and try again.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 12:19:43 PM »
"Proxim Orinoco Gold PCMCIA" is a bit ambiguous without knowing the specific chipset... (and in consequence which drivers are adequate).

AFAIK, pulse may only be required to make a recent skype version work with OSS alsa emulation.
There is a latest skype version for OSS - and I'd assume with alsa pulse would not be a requirement.
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline Zero

• Just do it!
    • ALT-NRG
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2012, 01:50:58 PM »
Hi Zero
If the machine also has a wired connection, unplug the network cable and try again.
@Rich, now that the problem seems to have been resolved (what I did I'm still not sure) I can get the card to connect to the wifi router with or without the wired Ethernet connected.

@TP, I'm not sure what chip set it has. I ran lspci -v and the card does not appear in the list. cardctl is also not a valid command. All I can give you is Model# 8470-FC, PN:72535/1

I installed Skype 4.0.0.8 and got sound working without pulse by installing alsa-oss.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2012, 02:43:59 PM »
That is an alsa version of skype.
I can't see how alsa-oss could be related.

cardctl is somewhat deprecated.
It's "pccardctl" ;)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 02:47:00 PM by tinypoodle »
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline Zero

• Just do it!
    • ALT-NRG
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2012, 03:22:27 PM »
Okay. "pccardctl ident = no product info available". Right back where I started. LOL!

It's working. It's a moot point anyway. But I thank you for your replies.

Z

Offline Zero

• Just do it!
    • ALT-NRG
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 04:51:14 PM »
I messed to much and had to reinstall TC from scratch again. @TP, you were right. Skype did not need alsa-oss. My default volumes were so low I couldn't hear it. But reinstalling did kill my wireless again so now I do need to figure out what I did previously that got it working again. I'll look for a better related topic to post this under.

Z

Edit: Okay, wireless is working again. It appears the ONLY thing I did to get it working was boot the machine with wired ethernet and the wifi card installed, then run the wifi app from the launcher bar. Previously I had been trying to connect after installing without a wired connection. Only thing I can figure is TC needs that wired connection on first run to download or assign the right firmware driver or dependency. Odd. But now it finds the card with or without the wired connection.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 05:32:55 PM by Zero »