WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: How to boot CorePlus-4.5.5.iso frugally?  (Read 28203 times)

Offline Benny7440

Re: How to boot CorePlus-4.5.5.iso frugally?
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2012, 09:16:50 AM »
The way I'm trying to boot CorePlus is as follows:
1) using a VAIO notebook with 120 GB HDD;
2) the hdd has 3 partitions, I'm using sda2 with ext3 & 6.2 GB;
3) almost sure that my boot loader is grub (legacy);
4) have 2 folders, one for tc & tce (grub's looking for tc).

Today at the terminal I issued that command but it failed many times. I, then, tried to login with tc + Enter & this failed, too. I think I tried TC instead & that worked??? Then the command started OK but failed with:

"Downloading: Xvesa.tcz
Connecting to distro.ibiblio.org (152.19.134.43:80)
wget: short write
mount: mounting /dev/loop0 on /tmp/tcloop/Xvesa failed: invalid argument"

I tried many variants of the command like taking the plural (s) from each entry below (one at a time as well as more up to all of them) & changing the '_" to "-" & leaving a simple space there but all the time it was the same or worst. I'm including the command below for easy reference:

tce-load -iw Xvesa Xprogs Xlibs flwm_topside wbar

There're some intriguing facts now, how to logout/login & what are the corresponding pwds in CorePlus? Can't I download that file from PL528 that I'm using now & place it in its appropriate place for it to be available next time I start CP?

Thank you all for your patience with these issues!

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2012, 10:12:51 AM »
It is very difficult to understand what your situation is and what you are doing...
You still have not replied to my question from Reply #27
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline floppy

« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2012, 05:02:42 AM »
The way I'm trying to boot CorePlus is as follows:
1) using a VAIO notebook with 120 GB HDD;
2) the hdd has 3 partitions, I'm using sda2 with ext3 & 6.2 GB;
3) almost sure that my boot loader is grub (legacy);
4) have 2 folders, one for tc & tce (grub's looking for tc).

Today at the terminal I issued that command but it failed many times. I, then, tried to login with tc + Enter & this failed, too. I think I tried TC instead & that worked??? Then the command started OK but failed with:

"Downloading: Xvesa.tcz
Connecting to distro.ibiblio.org (152.19.134.43:80)
wget: short write
mount: mounting /dev/loop0 on /tmp/tcloop/Xvesa failed: invalid argument"

I tried many variants of the command like taking the plural (s) from each entry below (one at a time as well as more up to all of them) & changing the '_" to "-" & leaving a simple space there but all the time it was the same or worst. I'm including the command below for easy reference:

tce-load -iw Xvesa Xprogs Xlibs flwm_topside wbar

There're some intriguing facts now, how to logout/login & what are the corresponding pwds in CorePlus? Can't I download that file from PL528 that I'm using now & place it in its appropriate place for it to be available next time I start CP?

Thank you all for your patience with these issues!

I have the feeling you are jumping back from a USB boot into a CD boot; correct?
So, please stick to the USB boot/install (so far I understood, this was your wish),
- boot again into your USB 
- use the tce-load -wi xxx (see older posts)
- answer the questions the others persons are asking
- and put "startx" as a terminal command in order to start the window manager
(so far I understood, you booted with your USB, but had no X-driver loaded till now)

Sorry Benny, but by jumping around, we will not understand correctly in which new issue you are jumping in.

TinyCoreLinux is not a magic thing which can only be used by witches. Like many software, an install/debugging requires a strong accurate writing/tipping/acting method. Take abreath, and start again with the first procedure where you had sucess.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 05:06:26 AM by floppy »
AMD K6-IIIATZ 550MHz MB DFI K6xv3/+66
P4 HP DC7100 3GB 3GHz
Samsung NC10 boot from SD card port (via USB reader)
.. all TinyCore proofed

Offline Benny7440

« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2012, 09:47:13 AM »
Sorry for the confusion folks, so lets start with a round ball again!

I'm going to answer to tinypoodle's #27 post first. When I execute ls -l the output is: total 0. In relation to your quote of 'which sh' I didn't get that one. I've tried that as a command right now from PL528 & it gave me the following:
sh-4.1# which sh
/bin/sh
sh-4.1#

Sorry that it didn't occurred to me doing it while I was at CP, I'll make a note for doing it the next time I boot up CP, promise.

Now  to floppy.  First of all I'm trying to get acquainted with Core Plus in a frugal installation (see my #1 post). After feeling comfortable with it I was (am) thinking of making a usb installation for using it with the Compaq. The last 3 or 4 boots have been using the frugal method in the VAIO & I pretend to keep trying it until I finally get a usable system & just after reaching that point I'm going to start trying the usb thing for the Compaq.

The above means, exactly, that I'm going to try ONLY the frugal installation using grub in the VAIO. The Compaq will have to wait until I manage to do this reliably.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2012, 10:07:15 AM »
Code: [Select]
ls -l `which sh`
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2012, 10:15:26 AM »
Hi Benny7440
Those are not single quote marks in tinypoodles command, they are back ticks. On my keyboard they can be
found in the upper left corner as part of  the  ~ (tilde) key. Running the command on Puppy is not useful, he
wants to see what cores response is.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2012, 03:16:34 PM »
Running the command on Puppy is not useful, he
wants to see what cores response is.

Thank you for clearing that up, Rich.
With all the confusing details over so many posts I somehow had assumed that "PL528" (not being any known term to me) was referring to hardware of OP :P

Offline Benny7440

« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2012, 07:42:26 PM »
The command you supplied, tinypoodle, resulted in the following output:

"lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 7 Aug 4 2011 /bin/sh -> busybox"

I hope I didn't make any mistake this time. I tried the tce-load... command again but it reported again "invalid argument".

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2012, 09:37:09 PM »
Hi Benny7440
Is your network card up? What does  ifconfig  return? If you execute
Code: [Select]
ifconfig > ifconfig.txtyou can then place that text file somewhere accessible from another distro and cut and paste its contents here.

Offline Benny7440

« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2012, 09:48:11 AM »
OK, the command ifconfig returns the following data:

eth0    Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:13:A9:28:57:DC
inet addr: 10.0.0.64 Bcast: 10.0.0.255 Mask: 255.255.255.0
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:500 Metric:1
Rx packets:406 errors:0 dropped:1 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
Rx bytes: 44652 (43.6 KiB) Tx bytes: 1044 (1.0 KiB)

lo   Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr: 127.0.0.1 Mask: 255.0.0.0
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU: 16436 Metric:1
Rx packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
Tx packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
Rx bytes:0 (0.0 B) Tx bytes:0 (0.0 B)

Hope this helps. Thanks!

Edit: It was not possible for me to execute ifconfig > ifconfig.txt until I relogin as tc. After I created the file it was not possible to move/copy it to another location. Apparently, either I was never root or other locations (like sda2) were locked. Maybe the newly created file was itself unmovable/protected???
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 09:52:07 AM by Benny7440 »

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2012, 09:23:34 AM »
So it seems you were initially able to install bash (incl. recursive dependencies), but now unable to install the most basic GUI extensions.
Logically, either something went wrong with your system, or you are doing something different.

When attempting to load extensions, avoid bash and root user. 

Offline Benny7440

« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2012, 01:35:43 PM »
If I'm now using a puppy OS (not Core Plus), can I download the required files, put them in the right place for TC to find &, hopefully, execute them?

If the answer is yes then I'll need the corresponding link(s)...

Thanks to all that have helped on this!

PS. To tinypoodle I'm confused around what you stated in your last reply in relation to bash & root user; what it really means to stay away from them?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 01:44:15 PM by Benny7440 »

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2012, 02:04:22 PM »
If you have puppy running, why not just stick with that?
Core is not for everybody.  It is a toolbox more than a user-friendly distro.
If you really want to use core there is a lot of info in the wiki, including installation instructions.

Offline Benny7440

« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2012, 02:47:59 PM »
gerald_clark, I wanted a small distro to put inside a 128 MB CFCard & using this memory device to take with me to boot & use a Compaq-HP laptop that has no HDD. All the puppies that I've come by are larger than Core Plus, with possibly just one esception: Wary Tiny.

Since I learned of the existence of Tiny Core first (several months) I decided to give this one a try in front of all the rest. Also, since some work has already been done I feel that continue to try should be more logical than to start something completely new from the beginning.

I'm replying right now from the VAIO in home but if coreplus would be running ok I might be outside, somewhere else, reading or writing through the HP, instead...

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2012, 03:02:15 PM »
I really try to be as clear as possible, and not sure how that does not come through...

When trying to use tce-load or using "apps" do so as default user tc and stick to the default shell as shipped in base.

That does not mean that there are not other tasks which may require using root, e.g. network configuration; or very specific scripts or apps which might explicitely require bash.

Search in scripting forum for a script which allows to download extensions (including dependencies) from a different system.