General TC > General TC Talk

Discussion about TinyCoreLinux

(1/2) > >>

sankarv:
Nice to see some positives out there....

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1000688

also here

http://usalug.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=120795&sid=06b2faa947a22c3998db0274ad6ecbf1

seems TC is gainin good response.....

thanks a lot and all the very best......

NeoPhyte_Rep:
Even more importantly, Google is now finding references to "Tiny Core Linux".  Google wasn't finding anything five days ago.

kagashe:
I am Ubuntu user since version 5.04 and frequent visitor to Ubuntuforums. I discovered TinyCoreLinux from Ubuntuforums thread only. In fact the "Other OS Talk" folder on Ubuntuforums is very informative and carries lot of news on other distributions and specially the small ones.

Personally I like Puppy more than DSL, although, I look at every new version of DSL but never tried DSL-N.

I would like to try compiling for TinyCoreLinux but I don't think it is as simple as Puppy.

kagashe

mikshaw:

--- Quote ---I would like to try compiling for TinyCoreLinux but I don't think it is as simple as Puppy.
--- End quote ---
I think that's to be expected with something as minimal as TC.  Nearly everything you build from source is going to require headers beyond the basics, and the more complex the project, the more headers are going to be needed.

Personally I've been considering creating a persistent directory  simply for  development files (built from source), building from source all the apps I want  to regularly use into another persistent directory, and then cramming that second directory into a single extension.  As I see it, that would be a lot more convenient than dealing with a huge pile of small extensions, although I have to spend some time experimenting with the extensions before deciding whether or not that logic is flawed.

Juanito:

--- Quote ---I would like to try compiling for TinyCoreLinux but I don't think it is as simple as Puppy
--- End quote ---

It's really not that difficult - load compiletc, remember to use --prefix=/usr/local and off you go. So far all the extensions either have a -dev counterpart or the -dev files are in the main extension.

As compared to dsl, I've found the new kernel and modern core of tc easy to compile for.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version