WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: elinks has same networking problem that wget and aria2 have?  (Read 8390 times)

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
Re: elinks has same networking problem that wget and aria2 have?
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2009, 04:51:55 PM »
http://img2.imageshack.us/img2/3412/tc20net.png

elinks was compiled on tc1.  Did you recompile it on tc2?   

i am using premade tce and tcz packages exclusively, booting cloud mode with no media attached, and only using the 2.x repo for 2.x. if elinks has not been recompiled, that may explain elinks.

it may even explain wget.tce (which is not installed at the moment, as the screenshot proves.) i'm most concerned about busybox wget. i can make it work on other networks, and you can see it work properly in emulated-1.2, hosted within 2.x in the picture.

if busybox wget and nslookup from the base were working properly, i would only consider this a TCE bug. since those two are in the base, i consider it a TCB bug. note that despite not being able to wget http://google.com, i can still use appbrowser and even use tce-load nameofapp.tce wget install. BUT /usr/bin/getTime.sh doesn't work anymore than wget http://google.com does. (neither does nslookup.)

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2009, 05:35:04 PM »
That might be the problem with elinks. I just submitted an update for tc2, and noticed that it's about a meg larger.  Let us know if this works...

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2009, 05:52:52 PM »
I just submitted an update for tc2, and noticed that it's about a meg larger.

gee that doesn't bode well. you really notice that 2.x is heavier when you try to use flash (even flash9 i suspect) and qemu. when i start using 1.x more often (right now i do everything in 2.x because it's the version i'm most concerned with, and there's USUALLY only one setup i use for testing purposes) i'll be able to feel if it's faster. i'll let you know about elinks when the new version's up.

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2009, 07:07:40 PM »
I think that's because features were disabled due to lack of support from the dated libraries.  For example, my soundcard (which I had written off as inferior) I now find can share multiple apps.  Larger doesn't necessarily mean slower.  Look at differences from kernel 2.4 to 2.6, for example in handling all kinds of processes more efficiently. 

« Last Edit: May 10, 2009, 07:09:44 PM by jpeters »

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2009, 10:30:08 AM »
Let us know if this works...

no, it has the same problem elinks had before, along with busybox wget/wget.tce, aria2, tcbase nslookup, and tcbase nc (timeserver client.) curiously enough, appbrowser and extensions are the only things that don't have the issue, including appbrowser, curl, links, ff, minefield, netrik, and i've watched streaming video with mplayer nodeps in 2.x also.

Offline jpeters

• Restricted
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2009, 02:21:39 PM »
Have you done anything particularly harmful to someone in a past life?

Offline tobiaus

• Suspended
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2009, 02:55:37 PM »
Have you done anything particularly harmful to someone in a past life?

obviously i did something to linus torvalds' great-grandmother. i assure you i am not proud, nor is it the sort of thing i'd ever do twice. (i suppose it could have been richard stallman's great grandmother, but give me a little credit.)