Tiny Core Base > TCB Q&A Forum

Minimizing TCE's disk space

<< < (5/5)

curaga:
Your df output shows 17mb of file system overhead + 7.7mb of TC files. Both are completely reasonable.

solorin:
not arguing here.

just curious, what exactly does filesystem overhead constitute?
would that be, for example, the 4k an empty directory takes (summed of course over the many empty directories in the fs)?
perhaps that would clear up the OP's confusion.

also @leekimpark, are you getting the 75mb figure by summing

--- Quote ---/dev/sda1       7.9G   25.6M       7.8G   0%   /mnt/sda1
/dev/sda1       7.9G   25.6M       7.8G   0%   /home
/dev/sda1       7.9G   25.6M       7.8G   0%   /opt

--- End quote ---

these three records in the df -h output?

i believe those refer the filesystem usage on  /dev/sda1 which /mnt/sda1, /home, /opt all symlink to. IOW, 25.6Mb filesystem usage is referring to the same thing. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

cheerio,
solorin

leekimpark:
Like solorin said, I derive the 75mb by summing the three 25.6mb directories. But I remember I booted into the gparted live cd to check disk usage and it was pretty high. Now that I try this again, it gparted gives me a disk usage of about 156 mb, which is really strange. I went into terminal again and mounted /dev/sda1 again and ran du -h on it and it gives me 7.7mb, df -h gives me 26mb which takes into account as people have mentioned filesystem overhead. So I think this whole thing has been my mistake and that tcl's disk usage is as advertised. Sorry for such a stupid error, and thanks for all the help!

curaga:

--- Quote ---just curious, what exactly does filesystem overhead constitute?
--- End quote ---

Not 100% sure, but I believe it's the journal and other housekeeping tables.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version