Tiny Core Base > TCB Q&A Forum

Keymaps switching

<< < (2/3) > >>

waterleat:
Thank you Rich
Directory in my case is mnt/sda1/tce/boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf
however adding kmap=uk or keymap=uk does not change keymap in editor

Too late to investigate further tonight will look again tomorrow after work

Abnormis not tried your suggestions same reason as above and I think i am in xvesa I have not tried to use xorg

curaga:
@waterleat

The bootcode should be kmap=qwerty/uk. setxkbmap is only for Xorg.

KHarvey:
I apologize for my late reply.

The links that Rich supplied kind of solved my problem.  I am able to change my keymaps by using setxkbmap.  But it isn't working quite the way that I thought it would.  It changes my keymap but it doesn't change the language, which makes sense.

I may create another thread with this question, since it is kind of different.  But is there a way to keep my kmap in US English and use UTF-8 fonts? 
I know that aterm does not support UTF-8 but I can use urxvtd instead (I think).  The problem is everything that I have seen with adding the UTF-8 support I have to edit my boot options, and specify a language and a kmap, but none have them have been US English.

What I am attempting to do is write a small English (Romaji) to Japanese (Hiragana / Katakana) python script for a friend.  But so far I have been unable to get any of the UTF-8 characters to work.  I keep receiving chr arg not in range(256).

I will be using TC 4.5.5 with Xorg and Fluxbox.

curaga:
Fonts, language (translations, date formatting etc), console keymaps and xorg keymaps are all different things independent of each other.

So to write Japanese in Xorg you merely need a correct Xorg keymap and an editor supporting UTF-8; no need to change the system locale or console keymap. Unless you want Japanese locale etc too?

KHarvey:
Excellent point curaga.  All the reading I have been doing in the forums has been centered around Xvesa.  Since I use Xorg I should just be editing the Xorg.conf and adding the languages and keymaps that I need.  I will go start reading on this now and see if I can figure it out.

As for the console goes, I don't really need to change the local or the keymap per se, but I want to be able to display the proper utf-8 characters.  Since I do not plan on building a GUI with the Python script, this means that I will need to use urxvtd.  It will just be a simple console script.  I had thought of attempting a shell script at first to do this, but decided that I wanted it to be a little more cross platform, so that is why is chose Python.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version