WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: EFI Booting  (Read 5000 times)

Offline trans

EFI Booting
« on: May 26, 2012, 08:50:00 AM »
Has anyone been able to get TinyCore to boot on a GPT/EFI system?

I just bought an ASUS R500VD-BS1 and I am trying to do a HD install. Eveything works great except I can't get it to boot. After some research I was hoping I could use the EFI STUB approach but that requires a kernel 3.3+ (with CONFIG_EFI_STUB on), but TinyCore is 3.0  :( Any chance TinyCore will get such an update soon?

Are there any good instruction on recompiling/upgrading the kernel for tinycore --maybe I can go that route?

Otherwise there is grub2 with efi support, but it looks like I have to compile that too.

Would appreciate any useful info. Thanks.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
Re: EFI Booting
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 10:20:35 AM »
Has anyone been able to get TinyCore to boot on a GPT/EFI system?
Yes - a mac mini

Otherwise there is grub2 with efi support, but it looks like I have to compile that too.
I just tried grub2-efi today and it worked - via rEFIt - it needs some adjustment though..

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 10:56:27 AM »
My reference to booting efi is this https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFIBooting

Am constantly searching for a method to boot efi,  ultimately without having to use rEFIt 

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 02:56:33 AM »
Yes, I've had a GPT USB stick booting TC on Macs. It used grub2 too.

Btw, there really isn't a bios compatibility toggle in the, um, uefi bios?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 02:58:18 AM by curaga »
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline trans

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 12:19:29 PM »
I'm dual booting windows 7, so intend to keep the GPT/EFI. In anycase it's obviously the future so better to get on with it then hold on to the past.

Offline pioj

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2014, 07:36:54 AM »
I'm running TinyCore on a SurfacePro!

There's the bit of a hack to achieve it:

1. First, burn the "Generic x86/64 OpenElec diskimage" on a USB stick , using W32DiskImager.  I chose this img because it comes ready for GPT/EFI and it's using Syslinux instead of Grub.

2. Go to the USB drive, locate and replace the kernel/initrd ('INSTALLER') with Vmlinuz64/Core64.gz. Remember only 64bit version of your OS is currently supported on this kind of Hardware.

3. Locate the Syslinux.cfg inside the EFI/ directory and the root of the drive, and make the proper changes...

4. ???

5. Profit!

This guide should also work on a similar Hardware, like the Intel NUC, or present laptops with Windows8...