WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: [SOLVED] inetd not working  (Read 7961 times)

Offline florian77

[SOLVED] inetd not working
« on: May 26, 2012, 06:09:05 AM »
I ran into a problem and cannot find a way out of it. I am trying to run the telnet demon and the ftp demon on tiny core linux 4.5.2. I downloaded and installed the internet servers by invoking tce-load -wi inetutils-servers.tcz. Then, I created a file /usr/local/etc/inetd.conf, containing the following two lines:
  • telnet stream tcp nowait root /usr/local/sbin/telnetd telnetd
  • ftp    stream tcp nowait root /usr/local/sbin/ftpd    ftpd -A
Furthermore I added inetd to /opt/bootlocal.sh and created the directory /usr/local/etc/inetd.d. I persisted my configuration by typing sudo filetool.sh -b. After reboot, ps -A shows, that inetd is running for root. However, telnet localhost results in an error message, stating, that the host would be unreachable. Also ftp from another machine yields into an error message, stating that the connection could not be opened. nmap shows, that the only open port is 80, on which my apache server is running, which in turn is running very well. So, in general, socket communications work.

Restarting the superserver with debug messages by invoking sudo killall -9 inetd; inetd -d reveals a surprise: I do not receive any messages. On an UBUNTU 12.04 machine I get the following two messages with the very same configuration (except for the paths):
  • ADD: telnet proto=tcp, wait.max=0.256 user:group=root:(default) builtin=0 server=/usr/sbin/telnetd
  • ADD: ftp prot=tcp, wait.max=0.256 user:group=root:(default) builtin=0 server=/usr/sbin/ftpd
After reading this post (http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,11430.msg60419.html#msg60419), I checked /etc/protocols, which contains the two entries for tcp and udp. I also tried to replace tcp with tcp4 after reading this post (http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=11516.0). All without luck. Any other ideas?

Regards, Florian.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 04:07:30 AM by florian77 »

Offline florian77

Re: inetd not working
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 12:11:20 PM »
If the FTP server is started with its own server socket, it works fine.
        ftp -D -A
This proves, that generally everything is OK. Still, I have no clue, why the super server is not working. Any ideas? I would greatly appreciate them.

All the best, Florian.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 01:58:48 PM »
Hi florian77
Have you tried:
Code: [Select]
busybox inetd /usr/local/etc/inetd.conf

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 02:04:51 PM »
In your second link: http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,11516.msg61240.html#msg61240

Use "tcp4" not "tcp" in your inetd.conf. This still works, just tested.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline florian77

Re: [SOLVED] inetd not working
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 04:08:15 AM »
Using tcp4 did it. Thank you very much for your suggestions.

All the best, Florian.