WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: abiword.tce HOWTO: temporary "solution" using Puppy 4 repos  (Read 7703 times)

Offline mcewanw

abiword.tce HOWTO: temporary "solution" using Puppy 4 repos
« on: April 30, 2009, 03:43:05 AM »
[NOTE: As far as Abiword itself is concerned, the following information is now obsolete since Curaga has now completed a TC compile of Abiword (newer version) along with another for its plugins (see http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=1339.0). I hope this Howto may still be useful more generally, as an example of using Puppy dotpets, when no TC equivalent is available, and also as an example of the basic tce-Creation process].

HOWTO produce one large abiword.tce using the Puppy 4 series Abiword-related dotpets

I originally posted the first part of this message in thread post

http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=1245.msg7366#msg7366

but since I wanted to expand the information decided to put it instead in this separate HOWTO thread.

The first section below simply details how to install the Puppy Abiword dotpets onto a TC 2.0rc1 system directly (without first creating a tce extension). The second section details how to make one large abiword.tce out of the Puppy dotpet component parts as a more useful alternative. [Hope it all makes sense; I don't have time just now to edit it all better - but let me know if you find any technical mistakes or omissions and I'll endeavour to quickly fix these].

Using default tiny X (24 bit colour). As a start situation, I have geany.tcel installed via appbrowser with all the dependencies that automatically brings. I also have mtpaint, exelfm2 and firefox, but I think the geany deps are pretty much what you need extra for abiword too.

Section 1: Direct Installation (as in original of above thread post). [Note that you have to take measures yourself to arrange for persistence between reboots with this method].

I have Abiword running in TC 2.0rc1 used the Puppy linux version 4.x series Abiword + libs

[notes:

1. Please remember that I was simply experimenting on my own TC 2.0rc1 system here. Don't hold me responsible if you damage yours! I strongly advise making a backup of your whole TC 2.0rc1 system (in particular your "mydata.tgz") before trying any of the following in case anything existing on your system gets overwritten (nothing existing was overwritten on my own system as far as my checks could tell).

2. Since doing the following I have spotted Curaga's thread's (e.g. http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=1292.0] where he announces that he has created many of the following (perhaps all) Abiword-needed libraries in tce form, so the Puppy Linux Abiword dotpet may well work with Curaga's libs... That is clearly the better way to go; what I'm suggesting is just an early experiment to get Abiword working on TC! Maybe Curaga's abiword libs can be used instead of the ones below along with the Puppy version of Abiword; I haven't had time to try that. Clearly, a TC compiled version of Abiword would be better/safer since would be built with compatible libs on a TC development system, however perhaps someone will be interested in the following in the meantime (might also be a clue on how to temporarily use other Puppy compilations on TC)...:-) ]

Method:

1. Go to ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/puppylinux/pet_packages-4/
There you will find all the required packages.

2. Make a folder (named, for example, abitemp) anywhere on one of your persistent drives and download the following into it:

abiword-2.6.3.pet
libglade-2.6.2.pet
libgnomeprintui -2.18.1.pet
libgnomeprint-2.18.2.pet
libgnomecanvas-2.20.1.1
libart-lgpl-2.3.19.pet
fribidi-0.10.9.pet
wv-1.2.4.pet
libgsf-1.14.7.pet
goffice-0.6.3.pet
pcre-7.7.pet

(Don't enter the square brackets "[]" in the following).

Dotpets are really just .tar.gz archives so untar them each in turn by first entering in a terminal:
Code: [Select]
cd [path to abitemp]and then for each of the above dotpets:
tar xzvf [name_of_file.pet]
On extraction, each of these dotpets creates its own folder in abitemp. All you need to do now is cd into each of these folders in turn and enter the command:

cp -a usr /
You can check where the main abiword binary has gone with
which abiword and all going well, as it did for me (unless I've accidentally missed something out above...) you should be able to run it by entering:
abiword &
If you've forgotten to install some lib, entering:

ldd [path to abiword program] should tell you any libs that couldn't be found (that still need to be installed). The above was all I needed however (I'm also running firefox.tce on my system, so gtk2 etc is already there for me).

There are some other Puppy abiword dotpets available at the same site which may enhance matters, but I haven't tried them yet so don't know if they are suitable or required. For example: abiword-dictionary-en-2.6.3.pet and abiword-plugins-2.6.3.pet

Could certainly do with adding some more fonts. Spell checking did work though.

---------------------

Section II. Making one big abiword.tce

[note: I would happily provide the following tce extension were it not for the fact I am on very slow dialup, so uploading it would simply be too inconvenient for me at present, but hopefully the following instructions will be helpful as an alternative to that].

Abiword depends on several library component parts, which no doubt will eventually be offered in the TC repos in the form of separate tce/tcz files (which is a better "solution"). Nevertheless, it is relatively easy to make on big abiword.tce for your own use by modifying the recipe above, and for now at least you might find that useful.

Assuming you have downloaded the necessary parts and untarred them into their own folders into some folder called abitemp/ somewhere on your TC system as described in section I above, here is how to produce a big abiword.tce containing all parts ready to install:

1. Before doing the following, I found I needed to use appbrowser to install the advcomp extension (advcomp.tce).

Once you have installed that:

2. Create a dummy usr directory in abitemp by changing to abitemp and entering:
mkdir usr[Note well! There is no / in front of usr here!]

3. Following extraction of each of the abiword-related dotpets (as described in section I above), cd into each of the resultant top-level directories created (which you should find contain their own single usr directory) and enter:

cp -a usr/* ../usr
[Don't miss out the two dots in ../usr above since that refers to the dummy usr directory you created inside folder abitemp (i.e. one level higher up].

(Note that the above instruction is instead of: cp -a usr /
 the latter instruction was used for the Direct Installation method of section I above).

4. Once you have done item 3 for all the above eleven extracted dotpet parts (abiword-x.x.x.pet and so on) you are ready to follow the "Creating Extensions" instructions given on the TC wiki at http://wiki.tinycorelinux.com/tiki-index.php?page=Creating+Extensions
and optionally using the associated iconmenuinfo at http://wiki.tinycorelinux.com/tiki-index.php?page=iconmenuinfo

So according to those two TC Wiki pages of instructions, what you do now is:

5. Create a wbar icon for Abiword [this whole section is optional; you only need to do it if you want a wbar icon; you probably do...]:

Assuming you have created a suitable abiword.png icon of size 48x48 for use in wbar (actually, there is an appropriate icon in the extracted abiword dotpet i.e. abiword-2.6.3-updated/usr/share/icons/abiword_48.png; just rename it to abiword.png before using it as below):

a.
mkdir abitemp/usr/local/tce.icons/ 
   and put a copy of your abiword.png file in there.

b. Now create a new text file called abiword at the following relative path: abitemp/usr/local/tce.icons/
[use no extension on the end of this text file named abiword] and in it put the following three lines of text (use no extra spaces or linebreaks):

i: /usr/local/tce.icons/abiword.png
t: Abiword
c: /usr/local/bin/abiword

6. Create a jwm menu item [again this whole section is optional i.e. only needed if you want a jwm menu item!]:

a.
mkdir abitemp/usr/local/tce.menu/
b. Now create a new text file called abitemp/usr/local/tce.menu/abiword
[use no extension on this file name either] and in it put the following three lines:

<JWM>
<Program label="Abiword">/usr/local/bin/abiword</Program>
</JWM>

It is now time to create the required file: abiword.filelist

So:

7. cd to abitemp

and enter:

find usr -not -type d > abiword.filelist
8. Whilst still in abitemp you can now create abiword.tce by entering:

tar czvf abiword.tce --numeric-owner -T abiword.filelist(I remind you again to make sure you've installed advcomp.tce using appbrowser first...)
The resultant abiword.tce is around 5 Mbytes in size.

9. That's basically it. All you need to do now is copy your newly created abiword.tce file and put it in your tce startup folder and then reboot. Abiword should now work, from wbar, and JWM menu if you have completed the optional instructions relevant to these, or by entering at the commandline:
abiword &.

(Note that I haven't dealt with any extra dependencies here. I think you need at least gtk2.tcel. I have firefox.tce on my system and all the dependencies that are installed with that; or install geany.tce and you probably get much the same dependencies automatically downloaded).

Good luck with all that until Curaga or someone else produces/compiles tce's of the component parts as a more elegant solution.

You can of course alternatively use a tce creation script for much of the above. I believe someone has provided details of such a script somewhere on this forum, but the above details may hopefully help you understand the whole process.

mcewanw
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 06:03:55 PM by mcewanw »

Offline magerlab

Re: abiword.tce HOWTO: temporary "solution" using Puppy 4 repos
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 11:49:20 AM »
i am a puppy user and believe that ouooy and tcl may take good things one from another

Offline softwaregurl

• Suspended
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 12:12:50 PM »
Dotpets are really just .tar.gz archives
Havn't tryed, but if this is the case so are tce's.  Shortcut may be rename *.pet *.tce.
Old wounds that have never healed need to be re-exposed before the cure can be applied.  The cure must be available before the wound is re-exposed.

Offline mcewanw

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 03:29:18 PM »
Havn't tryed, but if this is the case so are tce's.  Shortcut may be rename *.pet *.tce.

Yes, I did try that originally, but was surprised to find it didn't seem to work. Perhaps I overlooked something though; I'll try it again sometime. Though both dotpet and dottceare tar.gz archives, they do include some extra info to do with setting things up on the two different distributions. For the .tce you need to include appname.filelist in the build process, [EDIT] though that may not be a relevant factor.

Similarly the JWM and wbar information (tce.menu and tce.icons etc) should be able to be added into the dotpet quite easily by some pre-script.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 03:57:07 PM by mcewanw »

Offline mcewanw

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 03:48:15 PM »
NOTE: As far as Abiword itself is concerned, the above information is now obsolete since Curaga has now completed a TC compile of Abiword (newer version) along with another for its plugins (see http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=1339.0). I hope the overall Howto thread may still be useful more generally, as an example of using Puppy dotpets, when no TC equivalent is available, and also as an example of the basic tce-Creation process.

Offline mcewanw

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2009, 12:22:46 AM »
Shortcut may be rename *.pet *.tce.

Yes, I tried that again because I couldn't see why it didn't work when I first tried it either ... [EDIT: Oh... No it didn't work, I must have performed another step. The reason simply renaming a pet to a tce doesn't work is that a tce tars up everything relative to "/" whereas a pet tars up everything relative to the filename of the pet (with "/" folders, such as "usr" as subdirectories of that)]

It is, in any case, always best to at least look inside the dotpet first to make sure you won't be overwriting anything already on your system (i.e. use with care!): tar -tf filename.pet | less

Even when you spot a clash you can always uncompress the dotpet with tar xzvf, remove any duplication and recompress with tar czvf before using the archive as a tce.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2009, 05:46:15 PM by mcewanw »

Offline hairywill

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2009, 05:15:03 AM »

Yes, I did try that originally, but was surprised to find it didn't seem to work.
[delurk]
The dotpet format consists of a tgz with its md5 (i think) hash appended to the end. If you try using tar -x on a dotpet it will extract the contents but will also give a error, it may be that this is what is upsetting tc.
[relurk]