WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: TC as host for Vmware Workstation 9.x  (Read 2592 times)

Offline sebus

TC as host for Vmware Workstation 9.x
« on: January 05, 2013, 10:53:08 AM »
No matter what personal options of other members are , Vmware Workstation is the most usable virtualization software (there is none other that supports Mac OS X in same way!)
No please do not recommend VirtualBox etc

I wonder if anybody managed to get Workstation 9 to install ON TC host (NOT TC in Workstation)

Smallest host OS I had Workstation running on was FatDog64 - w w w . murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=75381, but TC could possibly be way smaller.

Any help appreciated
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 10:56:49 AM by sebus »

Offline sebus

Re: TC as host for Vmware Workstation 9.x
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 11:03:26 AM »
There was 2+ years old thread about Vmware Player 32-bit on TC 3.3 - http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,7652.msg43289.html#msg43289

Anybod tried anything more current?

Thanks

sebus

Offline genec

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2013, 08:13:37 AM »
I generally stay with the "HCL" for VMware's hosted products (Workstation, Player and Fusion).  Seeing as I manage a vSphere environment, Workstation is a more natural fit for my use.  The biggest difficulty is generally in building working kernel modules.

That said, I can see your purpose.  You'll likely need to skip Xvesa/Xfbdev in favor of Xorg.  You'll be needing compiletc and the kernel headers.  Seeing as Ubuntu-12.04 is supported by VMware, getting most modules to build for TinyCore on 3.0.21 should just work.  I'd completely ignore HGFS as it's fidgety even with fully supported OSs for the host and guest.  CIFS/NFS just works.  Aside from that, it'll be resolving all of the dependencies of all binaries.

With the installer sizing up at over 350MiB, I'm not sure how worthwhile this may be.  You're talking a 50-100 MiB TC plus likely 600MiB for Workstation.  If your host has over 3 GiB RAM, you'll really want to use CorePure64 but I'm not sure if all of the dependencies can be resolved.

Offline sebus

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2013, 08:49:18 AM »
I do it for fun really, and to prove it can (or not) be done (for production I use cluster of ESXi)

kernel headers for pure64 are not there (I hope it is "yet" and will appear soon)

sebus