WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: dropbox config setup missing?  (Read 6990 times)

Offline 3rail

dropbox config setup missing?
« on: May 17, 2012, 01:32:52 PM »
I've been away from tinycore for a while but recently I wanted to try out tc with the dropbox extension. I download and install it (onboot), it downloads and installs, then I can't get it to ask me for account information? Clicking on the dropbox icon in the wbar just runs the daemon. Hmm, what's the obvious thing I'm missing?

My process:

0. format compact flash as fat32 on windows
1. using core2usb.exe (nice utility) on windows, install tc 4.5.2 to compact flash, create tce dir used
2. boot old laptop (different machine, no drives) with compact flash, choose tinycore no wait at boot menu
3. window manager comes up, select appbrowser
4. install dropbox Onboot
5. appbrowser reports dropbox installed OK
6. top reports no dropbox deamon
7. click on dropbox icon in wbar
8. no prompt for dropbox account information, top reports daemon is running (/tmp/tcloop/dropbox/usr/local/dropbox/dropbox)

I have working wired ethernet connection and I've tried starting dropbox from the command line, it does a successful ping and then runs the daemon (but no account config).  Is there some way to configure the dropbox account information on the command line?

Seems like I'm missing something obvious since searching the forum others have mentioned the config step that I can't seem to get.  :(

TIA

« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 01:34:48 PM by 3rail »

Offline coreplayer2

Re: dropbox config setup missing?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 02:32:24 PM »
Dropbox is the best thing since sliced bread..  Works like a charm  :)

there is a hidden directory in home/tc where the account info is kept, by deleting this, the next time dropbox is run it will ask you for new account information and select which directories yo would like to sync with this machine.

Offline 3rail

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 07:35:38 AM »
thanks, I'll give that a shot... I looked around in that directory but couldn't find an discernible config files in it.

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 04:22:41 PM »
Dropbox is you dropbox cached storage,  instead Just delete this hidden  home/tc/.dropbox  directory and a new configuration will be created when you next launch the Dropbox.

There are no user editable configuration files within this directory AFAIK,  the directory name begins with a (period) .  and a lower case d,  (ie not Dropbox).

after deletion the application must be launched to create a new account

if the app is still not starting might be better to enter dropbox at the terminal and look for missing dependencies
;)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 05:23:42 PM by coreplayer2 »

Offline 3rail

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 01:28:08 PM »
Thanks everyone for your replies. In my case, it seems the missing piece or instruction was after dropbox installation to issue the command "dropbox start" to recieve the message "please visit https://www.dropbox.com/cli_link?host_id=<blah> to link this machine"
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 01:30:21 PM by 3rail »

Offline netnomad

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 01:39:11 PM »
hi friends,

i use a functional dropbox-configuration, but i don't like the long, annoying login-process:
always the need of username, password, confirmation that i want to use the present config, then the invitation to a information tour that have to be skipped and at the end the finish button that has to be pressed....
is there a way to use command line options or a config file to simplify the connection-process?

i already searched in the web for command line options but did not succeed yet.
do you have any hint or help for me?

thank you for your contributions.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 01:42:08 PM by netnomad »

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2012, 01:18:41 AM »
Simply make dropbox persistent.    I was surprised to hear you need to enter your credentials on each use, because I've only ever entered them once..

Offline netnomad

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2012, 12:56:18 PM »
Simply make dropbox persistent.    I was surprised to hear you need to enter your credentials on each use, because I've only ever entered them once..
hi coreplayer2,

what kind of installation do you use? frugal on your harddisk? or another kind of harddisk-install?
i usually use liveusbstick-environments, very seldom livecds.
my tinycore-environment is on a usbstick in mount-mode (loop-device) with backup.

i'm not sure whether i know what you mean with persistent.
with the help of the .filetool.lst my dropbox-config-files are in my backup.
usually i didn't backup my ~/Dropbox-folder, but for the purpose of testing i put also the Dropbox-folder in my .filetool.lst... but nevertheless it's always the same initiation-process.

the last update made it even worse... now it tells that the
"Dropbox is running from an unsupported location" and whether i want to install dropbox correctly... weird.
my folder is /home/tc/Dropbox and my configuration is under /home/tc/.dropbox, just as it should.
after this annoying login-process everything works fine.

thank you for more hints.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 01:20:55 PM by netnomad »

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 12:45:06 AM »
Oh ok..  yes any system where dropbox is installed, is to a frugal installation.  So once the credentials are set I only ever have to click on the application icon and it connects and sync's.

I believe all user credentials are kept in home/tc/.dropbox