WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Transfer rate on the ftp server  (Read 13080 times)

Offline Rich

• Administrator
Re: Transfer rate on the ftp server
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2012, 10:11:00 AM »
Hi forsik
20176896 / 36.73s is about 550 thousand bytes per second.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2012, 10:19:31 AM »
Hm, forgot that our bb dd didn't do that, the config option's disabled.

@forsik:

The transfer rates were 564 kb/s and 536kb/s. This is a pure network test, so it looks like your wireless is the biggest bottleneck. Once you fix that, ntfs will be the next one ;)

Maybe post the output from iwconfig?
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline forsik

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2012, 11:25:35 AM »
Rich, curaga thank you for the clarification

> Maybe post the output from iwconfig?

I have to use a wired connection to the router (eth0). I think it will increase the number of connection speed. The computer client (on windows) connects to the server base using wifi.

My knowledge is only enough so that using "# ifconfig wlan0 down" to turn off the wifi adapter.

Of course, I can turn on wifi, Connect the access point and cause the output

Code: [Select]
# iwconfig
wlan0     IEEE 802.11bg  ESSID:<essid>
          Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.457 GHz  Access Point: <ap>
          Bit Rate=54 Mb/s   Tx-Power=20 dBm
          Retry  long limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality=70/70  Signal level=-29 dBm
          Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
          Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:2   Missed beacon:0

add: I have a SD card kingston 16gb class 10, and I can format the ext4 to verify. Does this make sense?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 11:39:19 AM by forsik »

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2012, 12:14:55 PM »
Not really, SD cards are always slow. Use RAM when testing network speed.

Offline forsik

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2012, 05:22:31 AM »
I experimented with the settings a router, put polee weak encryption, set the 802.11 Mode g (supported only b / g / auto), has replaced Channel No. Now, the test produces 2.4 mb/s. I do not know is it possible to somehow speed up the network ... If all else fails then it seems it's time to change the router.

If I copy from windows using total commander, then no difference in speed between copying at nfts usb disk and copying into RAM. Speed ​​is 1.5 mb/s

Even a small increase in speed (about 0.1 mb / s) can provide include gzip compression loading. But this option is preloaded 100% CPU as soon as the transfer begins.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 05:46:31 AM by forsik »

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2012, 08:06:29 AM »
It may be wireless interference, in which case changing the router wouldn't help.

Offline forsik

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2012, 08:21:50 AM »
Too little distance between the client and the router. Most likely the problem is a bad router. As far as I can remember when I was able to connect to the Internet at a speed of 50 mbit/s had a problem with a stable work and breaks, especially on "big" speed. Now there is much more sophisticated models :)

It looks like replacing the router is not much help to solve the problem. The next problem would be a netbook ... It will be easier to buy a model of the router, which already has an option to connect usb drive as an ftp server. In this case it is necessary to clarify the need for external power usb drive.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2012, 08:33:34 AM »
Hi forsik
If you feel like trying one more test, it might be useful if we could see where the processor is spending
its time. On each machine run top, start another speed test using the nc command, and wait a couple
of seconds for the systems to settle. On each machine, move the mouse pointer to the lower right
corner of the window running top and right click, the text will be highlight meaning it has been copied
to the paste buffer. You can paste the contents into Editor by clicking the middle mouse button if you
need to save it as a file. Paste the results from the two machines in your next post.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2012, 08:43:02 AM »
Hi curaga
I like the idea of using dd to measure transfer speed. One thing I noticed though, dd starts timing from
the moment you hit enter on the receiving machine, not the transmitting one. Maybe something like
this on the transmitting machine is more appropriate?
Code: [Select]
dd if=/dev/zero | nc -vvv 192.168.1.46 5555

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2012, 11:46:43 AM »
If you have to use wireless, change the channel to one which is not close to any others in use by your neighbors.. 

A modern 2TB drive would be like night and day difference compared to an SD/ USB thumbdrive (which are both slower than Molasses!)

Offline forsik

« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2012, 01:26:13 PM »
To use a modern drive, I need a separate computer that will work around the clock, or buy a special NAS. At the same time I have to throw out a netbook, which I wanted to find a use. If not for this netbook, I'd hardly ever met slitaz or tinycore :)

In any case, now I can not get a wireless speed of more than 2,5 mb/s. At this rate I can not wait for even one backed up copy of data relevant to me. Tomorrow I will try again to run nc and htop, I will write about the results.

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2012, 02:39:50 PM »
You'll need to get a dual band wireless adapter to improve the speeds.  I have a 60Mb/s connection and a router prioritized for my specific needs, yet across wifi a few Mb/s is all i'll likely ever get when transferring files across the lan..   

Much of the bandwidth is determined by the type and size of the data you're trying to move.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 02:45:00 PM by coreplayer2 »

Offline forsik

« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2012, 06:57:18 AM »
I bought a new router with support for usb devices (usb drive, 3g modem, print server). Standard N does not have to limit the speed, but still our tests do not show such good results as we would like.

Copy speed of RAM via wifi on average about 5 mb/s.
At the same cpu load on the server: ~20%=nc, ~10%=dd.
If use connect a ntfs drive to the router and use it as ftp, at an average rate of ~ 3 mb / s.

On a router installed linux, reportedly busybox and etc in the settings. Rather ntfs partition reduces the speed.

I think that the nc test shows incorrect results, or the resources being spent on something else.

upd: Of course, I try one more thing. Try to transfer data from laptop to desktop computer. Only carry out the installation of TC on it, I will not, and how to install bftpd when working with flash, I do not know.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 07:08:23 AM by forsik »

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2012, 07:11:19 AM »
Hi forsik
Copy speed of RAM via wifi on average about 5 mb/s.
If that is 5Mbytes/Sec and the router has a speed of 54Mbits/Sec, then you are pretty close to the
limit of the router and are doing well. As a general rule of thumb, when converting between Mbytes/Sec
and Mbits/Sec I multiply/divide by 10 to allow for protocol/packet overhead and errors, and to keep
the numbers conservative.

Offline forsik

« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2012, 07:23:53 AM »
But a new router speed is higher, the netbook (the server) is connected by wire with a maximum speed of 100 mbit/s, the laptop (client) is working to support IEEE 802.11n ... is faster than 100 mbit/s. 100 mbit/s ~ 10..12 mb/s

Maybe the network card netbook simply can not miss the speed of more than 5 mb/s?
On the wireless connection, I think, and say no, it certainly is lower than
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 07:31:47 AM by forsik »