WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: First use observations  (Read 2706 times)

Offline jago25_98

First use observations
« on: May 01, 2012, 03:09:27 AM »
1) Would be nice to be able to select multiple packages to install, either with the control key or just clicking to select. I wanted to have all packaged downloaded locally in case I need them but wget http://.../*.tgz wasn't good enough so I'll have to look up more on that

2) New users aren't that clear on what the difference between a .tgz and .scm

3) It's really fast and light, it works well :-)

4) The forum captchas seem excessive? Isn't one method or the other good enough? That is, if one isn't working anymore why not drop it? For me I always seem to get a horizontal line and then can't tell if it's an E or F so I have to request another image... but if a bot keeps requesting more images it can average out the interference. Might be better to outsource the captcha.

Going to have this on a laptop in my campervan!

Offline tinypoodle

Re: First use observations
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 04:33:50 AM »
I wanted to have all packaged downloaded locally in case I need them but wget http://.../*.tgz wasn't good enough so I'll have to look up more on that

Please read: http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,4677.msg24618.html#msg24618
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 08:53:54 AM »
Hi jago25_98
1. You can't possibly need all 3500+ of the available extensions. Downloading all of them puts an unnecessary
     strain on a shared resource.
2. tczs have shared dependencies, so they tend to conserve storage space. scms are self contained and have
    no dependencies, so they don't break if another extension gets updated.
4. There used to be a serious spam problem here, so serious measures were taken.

Offline jago25_98

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 02:30:53 PM »
Well I only wanted LibreOffice, Opera, xpdf, gimp & Chromium & Firefox but clicking through even this manually was a pain in the neck to get them all, took a couple of hours waiting over slow WiFi. I couldn't see mirrors.tgz listed in the GUI, even though I know it's there somewhere.

Regards downloading a lot of things,
 for me this was going to go on a spare old laptop in a campervan. Connection would in many places be via GPRS & shared slow WiFi so I had to plan which packages to download. I guess on those 6 packages above but don't you think "Wouldn't want to get caught out needing a package", especially with a 40gb HDD free, so it would be nice to have them stored locally. Would be nice to see them downloading via rtorrent, no?

While there's a post about the bandwidth in the forum there's nothing at the mirror and nothing anywhere in the download process to inform anyone. Good idea to put it in the Bibilio header text as a start and then also something in the default GUI package browser.

How's about a torrent mirror then. I might look into this later if I can figure out how to do that seed thing.

Also, to encourage people to only take what you need you can also inform before before they download that it slows startup time because I didn't know this until I restarted. Now I'm going to remove those extensions and store them in case I need them...

Offline solorin

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 03:45:58 PM »
most of us boot with a few essential extensions
and load the rest ondemand.

wondering if there isn't already a hacky way to do 1) by creating a personal but empty meta-extension.
i.e. tricking ab or appbrowser to download or redownload the dependencies of a local extension.

i can see that having the ability to automatically download a list of extensions
might be a good feature for users to communicate to other users
what apps might be needed for a task that requires multiple apps
acting in concert.
it could also act a tool for quick recovery or cloning of a particular setup.

but preclude the cluttering of the repository with meta-extensions.

it doesn't necessarily have to be exposed in the gui.
if bandwidth is concern, a cap could be put on the number of apps per list.

it'd be as easy as iterating over the list with wget and maybe a conditional, no?
one could always just write or post a script to do that.

i'm sure there are other considerations
but does the feature warrant inclusion in Core and exposing it to the ui for new users?

cheerio,
solorin

P.S. it *is* a webby webby world we live in, but do you really need 3 browsers (especially if your connection is sketchy) ???

P.P.S.
http://libtorrent.rakshasa.no/wiki/RTorrentUsingDHT
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 02:18:12 AM by solorin »
. . . if you don't know, now you know. . .
        ----- R.I.P. Biggie Smalls -----

Offline vinnie

• HandMace informatic works
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 04:37:51 PM by vinnie »

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 11:08:01 PM »
you can also inform before before they download that it slows startup time because I didn't know this until I restarted. Now I'm going to remove those extensions and store them in case I need them...

You can just remove them from onboot list (with appsaudit)   ;) 
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)