WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: gentoo-gtk1 File Manager Feedback  (Read 3746 times)

Offline SamK

gentoo-gtk1 File Manager Feedback
« on: May 31, 2012, 07:25:21 AM »
Upon starting 95% of the app is off-screen, as shown in the attached screenshot.  Reposition, quit+save and then restart displays more of the app but does not fully restore the saved position.

Off Topic
Is this in app related to worker file manager?
http://www.boomerangsworld.de/worker/

The attached screenshot is taken from an installation from Debian Testing.  Although it shows my customized colour scheme and button configuration the similarities in look are remarkable.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
Re: gentoo-gtk1 File Manager Feedback
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 08:29:57 AM »
I have not seen gentoo start off the screen like that, I think some window managers deal with that kind of thing different than others.  Some of my apps start with window larger than my screen size in some of the smaller and more basic WM's, so I think it is more of a window manager thing than an issue with a particular app. 

On worker's web site I don't see any mention of being a gentoo fork.

Offline SamK

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 12:56:03 AM »
...I think it is more of a window manager thing than an issue with a particular app.
It might be related to screen resolution setting...

On my testbench machine I increased the screen resolution, then installed the app.  This time the window was fully displayed.  Might it be picking up the resolution settings in use when compiling?

Digging a little deeper into the app there are some useful settings available.
Configure Button-->Windows
This provides positioning and sizing options which, once saved, allieviate the problem.

Do you think there is any value in reissuing with different resolution/size/position settings to avoid the matter arising?

Not wanting to re-open old wounds, did you notice the use of a generic "X" icon in the previous screen shot?

« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 01:01:08 AM by SamK »

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 12:37:58 PM »
In this case, it is requiring a larger screen resolution than what you were running with.  And the solution is to either increase the screen size, or adjust and save the settings like you mentioned.  Most window managers will not let an app display a window that is larger than the screen, so for the less experienced users the solution would be to use a more sophisticated window manager that handles this.  Most window managers do, even the smaller ones like Icewm. 

I do see a default config file in /apps/gentoo/etc that might allow to set a smaller default window size on app launch.  But there are so many other apps and pop up windows that are larger than the screen with the simpler WM's, the "save file as" window in Firefox does this on me with my 800x600 display.  So even with setting gentoo to accommodate smaller displays, there is still a host of other windows and apps that would show this behavior.  Best solution then is like mentioned above, increase screen display or use a WM that handles the issue.

I didn't pay attention to the generic X icon, and as we concluded earlier that is in the realm of the upstream app maker to deal with or not deal with.

Offline SamK

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 07:04:46 AM »
...use a more sophisticated window manager that handles this.  Most window managers do, even the smaller ones like Icewm.
Still trying to convert me to IceWM...