WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: (solved) Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: unable to mount root fs..  (Read 7266 times)

Offline floppy

on unknown-block(0,1)
Pid: 1, comm: swapper Not tainted 3.0.21-tinycore #3021
Call Trace:
(4 lines of 0xc0.. messages)

I get this after install Core4.4 on an HDD-IDE, during the boot phase right after the vesa=314 was given and the Tiny Core picture is still on the screen (so, extlinux starts).
So, Im digging in that issue and try to find a solution. Any idea is welcome.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 11:24:33 AM by floppy »
AMD K6-IIIATZ 550MHz MB DFI K6xv3/+66
P4 HP DC7100 3GB 3GHz
Samsung NC10 boot from SD card port (via USB reader)
.. all TinyCore proofed

Offline curaga

• Administrator
initrd was not loaded or is corrupt.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline floppy

ok. you mean core.gz?
So, I loaded all files again.
The error is still coming.
So, Im looking now for a new BIOS chip, HW issues, using boot codes (libbata.dma=x..?) ..

It seems that PC has issues for loading big files (few MBs) from the CD or from the the HDD (both connected to the MoBo on the same cable). The kernel seems to load; the rest has issues.
Till now, I worked around the boot issues for big files by starting a CD with the plop bootloader (UBCD), then redirecting to the USB. From there, I had no issues in loading Core4.4 and diverse extensions (I achieved making working the nvidia FX5200 with the help of "rich").

The ultimate solution is: making a CD with plop bootloader only and boot from the CD then to the USB. But I prefer currently to try to make it booting from the HDD directly (a 4GB seagate).

I will post next time few dmesg and lshw results here: perhaps will have somebody an Idea where to search (NO PANIC.. I have time with that PC).
Shortly:
- asrock Motherboard K7S8X
- Nvidia FX 5200 PCI  10de:0322,  SiS chipset [1039/0746]
- Core 4.4 (kernel 3.0.21)
- 768 MB RAM
- 4GB seagate
P4 HP DC7100 3GB 3GHz
.. all TinyCore proofed

Offline curaga

• Administrator
I'd check the bootloader config file first, that it has the correct path for core.gz etc.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline floppy

Curaga, you are a star (and shame on me).
An inird independent line with initrd=.. dont realy like the "=".
Its made a big step. After an upgrade with the appbrowser, a boot code pci=use_crs and 800x600x16 at boot, made all errors disappear.
Thanks.
My target is to give that pc in a school in Stuttgart for educational purpose: I still have to install knoppix, slitaz, archbang, puppy on it. So, the boys and girls can understand that there are good OS in the world. Let see who wants it (I got it for free).
Topic closed.
P4 HP DC7100 3GB 3GHz
.. all TinyCore proofed