WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Howto: Install tinycore linux on a mac mini  (Read 26737 times)

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
Re: Howto: Install tinycore linux on a mac mini
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2012, 12:36:07 AM »
For those looking to use a microphone with the mac mini...

There are two 3.5mm jack sockets on the back of the mac mini:

1. Line-out - three connections - stereo left out, stereo right out and microphone in.
2. Line-in - two connections - stereo left in and stereo right in.

Apparently (I didn't try it) you can use the ear bud/microphone combo supplied with an iPhone in the line-out socket - this is a pain, because it means you have to disconnect the powered speakers you would usually use in this socket.

The other option is to use line-in, but this only accepts a condensor microphone signal, which also requires a pre-ampifier.

A third option is to use an iRig PRE (see google for details) which functions as a pre-amp for condensor microphones for iPhone/iPad. This can be connected to the mac mini line-out socket and the "monitor/headphones" socket on the iRig PRE can be used to connect powered speakers - everything ends up connected to the line-out socket, but it all works.

One thing to beware of if using pulseaudio with the above (on my hardware it shows as "internal microphone") - pulseaudio assumes that the microphone supplies a stereo signal and locks the channels together - with a mono microphone, this has the effect of cancelling out the signal. In order for things to work, the channels need to be unlocked by clicking on the appropriate icon.

The result (as commented by the party at the other end) is very good quality audio with skype.

Edit: In case anybody is wondering, there's some kind of issue with the kernel that prevents a usb headset from working (apparently ongoing for a couple of years) and some other (ssp mode) issue that prevents a bluetooth headset from working (it used to work)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 07:56:42 AM by Juanito »

aus9

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2012, 07:36:57 AM »
hi

I am lost again. Are  there two holes or 5?

2) which model string did you try pls?

Based on your image ids I think you have only these strings as options?

Cirrus Logic CS4206/4207
========================
  mbp55      MacBook Pro 5,5
  imac27   IMac 27 Inch
  auto      BIOS setup (default)

3) and I assume you could not change the capture settings in alsamixer  the image shows line in or mic (in)

4) so you have powered speakers in the line out mic socket?

5) and for line in, I gather you have no mux showing in your alsamixer for mic volume up?

cheers

Offline Zendrael

• Zendrael's home of projects
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2012, 09:22:30 AM »
Hi Juanito!

I got my Core (4.7.1) installed WITHOUT rEFIt on a MacBook Air (mid2011) following these steps:

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/help/create-a-usb-stick-on-mac-osx

Of course, I replaced the Ubuntu image with the CorePlus image and it just works! Maybe it could be done on a MacMini too?

Now I'm still trying to config some drivers...

See'ya!

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2012, 10:28:36 AM »
I am lost again. Are  there two holes or 5?
The are two jack sockets, one (line out) with three contacts and one (line in) with two contacts.

2) which model string did you try pls?
I didn't try any model string as it is not implemented for the Intel CougarPoint HDMI

and I assume you could not change the capture settings in alsamixer  the image shows line in or mic (in)
alsamixer shows  <    Line    >    Mic         S/PDIF      Capture    Internal Mic   Rear Mic

4) so you have powered speakers in the line out mic socket?
I have the iRig PRE in the line out socket and the powered speakers connected to the monitor/headphones socket of the iRig PRE

aus9

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2012, 05:01:01 PM »
There appears to be an issue with your ids then?

so using the ids showing in uploaded image first page I get ids 10134206:106b2100

I can't spot them in http://www.linux-usb.org/usb.ids

and alsa info for the macmini 5,3 appears lacking
http://mac.linux.be/content/hd-audio-models-alsa-macs

when I googled "alsa 10134206:106b2100"
yours it the first hit but I looked at the second hit
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/alsa-driver/+bug/892697

not knowing you had a CougarPoint you might be interested in the revision number showing in my uploaded image or your image

we have a match of ids and revision number my above link (according to my eyesight)
Mixer name   : 'Cirrus Logic CS4206'
   Components   : 'HDA:10134206,106b2100,00100302'

that explains why I posted the wrong card id

sorry about that

EDIT I can't remember what my first google search was in my earlier post

« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 05:03:29 PM by aus9 »

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2012, 07:23:44 PM »
I got my Core (4.7.1) installed WITHOUT rEFIt on a MacBook Air (mid2011) following these steps

There's a whole thread on the subject here:

http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,13445.0.html