WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: firefox  (Read 1753 times)

Offline cast-fish

• hi there
firefox
« on: April 13, 2012, 05:21:23 AM »
hello

was wondering if anybody knows if firefox extensions need to be platform specific?...(i know chrome's don't seem to be)

Reason i ask is after using an extension called "memory fox" in win32.... it radically transforms the
performance of FF on old hardware with 256 ram...giving great performance and lots of tabs....it
really is a super tool........ i wondered if it would work on FF 3.6 inside TCL?

I was wondering, if this is how badly they did the FF coding, that some extension like "memory fox"
can radically improve FF's performance on win32...then what's the situation with the quality of the Linux coding of FF?...

V

Offline Rich

• Administrator
Re: firefox
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 06:31:55 AM »
Hi cast-fish
If they are platform specific then either Firefox will request the correct one or you will be given a choice of OS when
selecting it.
I was wondering, if this is how badly they did the FF coding, that some extension like "memory fox"
can radically improve FF's performance on win32...then what's the situation with the quality of the Linux coding of FF?...
More than likely most of the code is the same for both versions and only operating system specific items are coded separately.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 09:11:18 AM by Rich »

Offline cast-fish

• hi there
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 08:57:50 AM »
Hello

ok....i am going to take a look into it...

out of interest

V

ps. if i want to install FF 3.6 using the special FF extension that tcl has.....then i must first compile
the Linux version of FF 3.6 as a .tcz?....then use the coupling extension

V.

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 09:17:32 AM »
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline cast-fish

• hi there
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 03:29:02 PM »
markus

this tip seemed to have a marked effect on firefox...it's more snappy now...for sure.

thanks.

i combined this with the "memory fox" extension and also many other extensions like "faster fox" to result in stunning performance of FF 3.6 (256 ram)

i hope to somehow solve my latest tcl flash issue (they think flash will no longer run in 256 of ram) by using FF 3.6 and all these extensions together with an earlier version of flash (the tcl app library has a special extension for firefox.)

THANKS