WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: New/Updated Tiny Core file architecture diagrams  (Read 6992 times)

Offline ixbrian

• Administrator
New/Updated Tiny Core file architecture diagrams
« on: April 10, 2012, 08:22:35 PM »
We have some new/updated Tiny Core file architecture diagrams posted on the website:

Full System TCZ/SCM architecture:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/tinycorelinux/arch_core.html

SCM architecture:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/tinycorelinux/arch_scm.html

TCZ Mount mode architecture:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/tinycorelinux/architecture.html

TCZ Copy mode architecture:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/tinycorelinux/arch_copymode.html

Offline maro

Re: New/Updated Tiny Core file architecture diagrams
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 10:09:23 PM »
I took a fresh look at these diagrams, and stumbled over "core.gz is a initrd that is mounted as the root file system at boot". I'm not sure that it is correct to describe it as "mounting". AFAIK all files (incl. pre-defined devices etc.) from the initrd are being extracted into the root file system. In my view there is no difference (after the boot process has finished) between those files that came from the initrd (e.g. BuxyBox) vs. those that came from one of the "default" tcz files (e.g. Xvesa). Both are "proper" files in the rootFS, only the format of the archive from which they were extracted and the process which performed that extraction differs.

Furthermore I wonder whether the words "... at boot)" in the small green box of the 'arch_copymode' diagram could be removed, as file extraction and copying is not limited to extensions loaded at boot time. I mean I get the same outcome if I'd use 'tce-load -wic ...'.

Offline ixbrian

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 08:13:36 PM »
I took a fresh look at these diagrams, and stumbled over "core.gz is a initrd that is mounted as the root file system at boot". I'm not sure that it is correct to describe it as "mounting". AFAIK all files (incl. pre-defined devices etc.) from the initrd are being extracted into the root file system. In my view there is no difference (after the boot process has finished) between those files that came from the initrd (e.g. BuxyBox) vs. those that came from one of the "default" tcz files (e.g. Xvesa). Both are "proper" files in the rootFS, only the format of the archive from which they were extracted and the process which performed that extraction differs.

Furthermore I wonder whether the words "... at boot)" in the small green box of the 'arch_copymode' diagram could be removed, as file extraction and copying is not limited to extensions loaded at boot time. I mean I get the same outcome if I'd use 'tce-load -wic ...'.

Thanks for the feedback. 

I will update them to say "core.gz is a initrd that is extracted as the base root file system at boot"  (Let me know if you can think of a better way to phrase that which is still easy to understand)

And I will also update the Copy Mode architecture to say that extension files are copied into the root filesystem when the extension is loaded.

Thanks again for the feedback. 

Brian

Offline maro

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 02:26:55 AM »
Sounds good to me (but I'm probably not the best judge as English isn't my first language).

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 06:41:51 AM »
Hi maro
You could have fooled me. Your spelling and syntax is better than that of many native born Americans.

Offline ixbrian

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 07:16:22 PM »
Diagrams have been updated with suggested changes.   Thanks again. 

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 11:17:03 PM »
Diagrams are great. However what I'm missing is the dynamics, when in which order files created, added to file system and when scriprs, like bootlocal, installation files are executed.

It would be a great addition to the diagrams.
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline xyz-worx

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 01:59:36 AM »
I fully agree to bmarkus. The diagram are great to understand how the different TCL modes work.
I would suggest to rework the 'left side' of the diagrams. I'll explain it as an example of 'TCZ Copy Mode':
  • Place the box 'Files on CDROM....' to the top, because here the boot sequence starts.
  • Place 'mydata.tgz file' beneath the first block
  • Leave the  'TCZ Extension' block on the bottom
It would also  be possible, to split the 'Files on CDROM....' block, because it is interrupted by the sequences of
the other two blocks.
In this way one can see the chronological progression of the TCL boot sequence.

regards
xyz-worx

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 12:21:24 PM »
Hi ixbrian
Minor typo in the "Full System TCZ/SCM architecture" and "SCM architecture" diagrams. At the bottom of the
box labeled "Running Core System" the firefox.desktop entry is listed as /usr/loca/... instead of /usr/local/...

Offline maro

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2012, 03:28:45 PM »
Could it be that a certain keyboard has a problem with the L key? I've noticed that in the "mydata.tgz file" boxes /opt/.xfiletool.st is used instead of /opt/.xfiletool.lst. IIRC this observation applies across all four diagrams.

Offline ixbrian

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 10:21:42 PM »
Rich and maro - thanks for the feedback.   I'll get the diagrams updated tomorrow.   

Offline ixbrian

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2012, 09:02:37 PM »
Updated diagrams are now posted with typo's corrected.  Thanks again for reporting. 

Offline philip

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2012, 10:09:23 PM »
I really appreciate the diagram at
http://distro.ibiblio.org/tinycorelinux/arch_core.html
(the only one I studied).

If the text-boxes are easy to tweak, that graphic offers four opportunities to upgrade "additonal" to "additional"; there is one place near the bottom right where "extionsion" appears instead of "extension".

It's really nice to have a visual overview of how the pieces of TC fit together ... especially the newer (scm) ones. Thank you!

Offline labeas

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2020, 11:10:20 PM »
Yes, the diagram could help a new reader to build a mental-image, if he viewed
it via a 27inch display. But how would a laptop-user extract the info.
NB. info-classification-by-color [an efficient extra-dimension for limited display
area] is noted.