WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: SCM Handling Suggestions  (Read 1785 times)

Offline SamK

SCM Handling Suggestions
« on: April 08, 2012, 01:59:20 AM »
The following scenario has been experienced on multiple occasions while downloading and/or updating in 4.3.1.

The ScmBrowser completed with the message, "success".  Checking the md5sum via ScmBrowser then indicated, "failed".

Once in this position:
* The app cannot be re-installed via the ScmBrowser
* The app cannot be deleted via the ScmBrowser
* The ScmBrowser no longer shows the app has a pending update
* The app will not, or will no longer, load

For novice users this will be a difficult situation.  The scm and md5 must be manually deleted before a re-install can be attempted.  This in itself is no guarantee of success, as the scenario may be repeated.

Suggestions for Consideration
* The ScmBrowser report success only after successful verification of the md5 against the download/update
* A means be included within ScmBrowser to handle a mismatch in the md5
* A means be included within ScmBrowser to delete/purge the scm and md5

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
Re: SCM Handling Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 07:58:55 AM »
scmbrowser is a front end to scm-load and It does check md5sum. But I see the result was not being forwarded to scmbrowser. I have that now fixed for 4.5rc1.

Since scms are self-contained seems that using a file manager to delete is easy enough. As there is not the dependencies to have to deal with.

BTW, sorry that you must have a poor internet connection.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline SamK

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 10:45:10 AM »
I have that now fixed for 4.5rc1.
Welcome news

Since scms are self-contained seems that using a file manager to delete is easy enough. As there is not the dependencies to have to deal with.
We see this from different points of view.  It is the absence of dependencies that would seem to make this relatively uncomplicated to incorporate when compared to say doing the same for tczs.  Also it is commonplace for apps installed by a GUI, to offer a GUI based means to remove them.  It seems like an opportunity for an easy win by making TC more user friendly without compromising the basic toolkit ethos.  I notice there is a further request for in-built scm deletion in the forum:
http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,13014.msg71546.html
However, as always, it is your decision to make.

BTW, sorry that you must have a poor internet connection.
Although I cannot offer conclusive proof, I am reasonably confident that my internet connection is not the source of this matter.  If it were, I would expect to see a similar incidence of corrupted results across all downloads, this is not the case.  I often download many hundreds of MBs from various sources but experience corruption very infrequently.  The incidence of corruption has risen markedly, but only when dealing with SCMs from ibiblio.  In an attempt to minimize the effect of server load the downloads/updates have been made on different days and at different times of day.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 10:46:52 PM »
I am adding an delete option.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline SamK

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 11:54:38 PM »
I am adding an delete option.
Welcome news