WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: frugal install  (Read 2956 times)

Offline cast-fish

• hi there
frugal install
« on: April 02, 2012, 09:10:38 AM »
hello

"Experienced users can still install Tiny Core to disk, but Tiny Core can run in 48 megabytes of RAM ... or less."

what does this stuff above mean?

is it saying that botting from a Frugal install.....you would not use the 48 megs of ram?....and tinycore does not actually run from RAM in that case....but is running from hard drive while live?

V

Offline tinypoodle

Re: frugal install
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 04:01:13 PM »
Yes. And yes.
Referring to scatter install, not frugal.   ;)
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline cast-fish

• hi there
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 06:17:30 PM »
oh

didn't realize this at all...

my assumption was that the "install" feature of Core plus was a "frugal hdd install" for users.

my assumption was that a "frugal hdd install" just booted in the same manner as  tcl boots off CD
disc...... but pulling files off the hard drive instead of the CD disc as it boots.

(and that tcl ran "live" in ram the same way....be it "frugal hdd booted" or booted from CD)

are you saying that "Scatter mode hdd install" is different from the "frugal hdd install" method
....?

does '"core plus" offer both those methods of install (frugal and scatter)....can't remember?

V.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 06:41:54 PM »
Frugal install is comparable to running from CD.
Scatter install is not encouraged and also not really supported, but not impossible.
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 07:13:24 PM »
Hi cast-fish
It has nothing to do with scatter mode, though with the highly selective cut and paste approach you took, I can see
how it might appear that way. Here is the statement back in its original context:
Unusually Fast. Unlike most operating systems, the Tiny Core can run completely from RAM. Individuals with RAM to spare can even use Tiny Core to load and run their programs from RAM (you didn't know your computer could run Open Office and Firefox so quick). Experienced users can still install Tiny Core to disk, but Tiny Core can run in 48 megabytes of RAM ... or less.
All it says is that if you have enough RAM, you can basically keep all your extensions loaded in memory, but if you have
a much more modest system, you can still run Tinycore.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 08:04:05 PM »
Context matters...   :P

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 08:19:17 PM »
Yeah, when I read that partial quote, I to though it was in reference to scatter mode.

Offline cast-fish

• hi there
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 11:22:59 PM »
Uh   ...thanks

i am not sure because, according to Tinypoodles first reply, he says the OP is correct (if we replace "frugal" with "scatter" then he says the OP is correct)

But then Rich's following reply says  "it has nothing to do with scatter mode"

V.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 11:42:02 PM »
Based on quote being cut out of context I (wrongly) assumed reference to scatter mode, and that is what I elaborated on.

Offline cast-fish

• hi there
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2012, 05:24:20 AM »
oh,

so one can assume that the "full paragraph" is just saying that if your system is very modest...then you would NOT keep all your extensions loaded in ram........

instead, you would perhaps boot up and manually load one or 2 extensions.....should you require different programs in that session....then you would have to reboot and start again....(until SCM arrived last month....but SCM is a recent thing right).

V.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2012, 05:28:14 AM »
No, you would loopmount from a PPR on harddisk, rather than loading extensions into RAM.

Offline cast-fish

• hi there
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2012, 05:45:16 AM »
oh i see

so many options with Tinycore....that PPR sounds real useful for low ram machines then.

V