WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Fluff beta version(s) leading to new Version 1.1  (Read 25823 times)

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: Fluff beta version(s) leading to new Version 1.1
« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2012, 12:03:12 PM »
@Mike

Prepare to be initiated into darkest C secret #4587, the automatic concat of strings ;)

#define TERM "xterm"

system(TERM " -e nano");

This would preprocess to

system("xterm" " -e nano");

Which would then compile as

system("xterm -e nano")
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline MikeLockmoore

• Good software needn't be big!
« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2012, 02:01:01 PM »
Hi curaga.  I know that one!  I use it.  I don't think it's too helpful here... I'd like to make things flexible for users, so the terminal to use should probably be something configurable in the .conf file.  That way, if the user has installed an alternate terminal emulator and prefers using it, she/he can configure Fluff to use it too.  Maybe need a way to pass the local directory to start in to the configurable terminal command too.  I make no promise on when I might implement this kind of configurability.  :P

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #47 on: June 11, 2013, 04:14:10 PM »
To compile fluff_1.0.7  in TC-5.0 Alpha, a minor change to the makefile and an additional dependency is needed.

First, " fltk-1.1.10-dev.tcz " is required to compile

additionally the following change to the makefile.  Seems like a change to the linker in g++ ??

linking libstdc++.so.0.6 to the command line in fluff's makefile

from this

Code: [Select]
all: ${PROG}.cpp
g++ ${CXXFLAGS} `fltk-config --cxxflags` -Wall -c ${PROG}.cpp
gcc `fltk-config --use-images --ldflags` -lfltk_images -lm ${PROG}.o -o ${PROG}
strip ${PROG}
echo `ls -l fluff`

to this

all: ${PROG}.cpp
g++ ${CXXFLAGS} `fltk-config --cxxflags` -Wall -c ${PROG}.cpp
gcc `fltk-config --use-images --ldflags` -lfltk_images -lstdc++ -lm ${PROG}.o -o ${PROG}
strip ${PROG}
echo `ls -l fluff`

fluff now compiles in TC-5.0-Alpha  and runs great (despite a couple of additional minor warnings)

« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 04:32:37 PM by coreplayer2 »

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2013, 03:07:19 AM »
You shouldn't use gcc to link c++. It will crash and burn.

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2013, 09:26:41 AM »
Thank you for the heads up, that is as I understand also.   but that was the resolution recommended by the compiler error message.   So have pm'd MikeLockmoore 
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 09:55:35 AM by coreplayer2 »

Offline MikeLockmoore

« Reply #50 on: July 24, 2013, 12:08:06 PM »
Thanks coreplayer2 for the build suggestions.  I would like to set up an installation of TC 5.0 Alpha on a USB stick and do some tests and at least minor updates to my FLTK app packages including Fluff over the next several weeks.  I won't have much time in the next week or so however.  :(

My new main Linux laptop is a < 1 year-old Sandy-Bridge-class dual core Pentium machine from ASUS, which came with Windows 7 and I think uses UEFI  for the boot loader.  Any advice on how to set up a bootable TC 5.0 USB stick to work with this?  Or anybody?  :)  I've hesitated because TC 4.7 has been out so long and now TC 5.0 is coming and I was not sure how well UEFI is supported.

Currently, I have Xubuntu 12.04 installed on the hard drive along with a boot option for Windows 7 (which I only use to grab pictures from an SD memory card because that drive is completely dead in Xubuntu).  But if I get back to using TC again regularly, I would do a better job of keeping the apps maintained, maybe even improved.  Later, after TC 5.0 is officially released, I would like to do a full frugal or similar install on my hard drive.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: July 24, 2013, 01:16:53 PM »
.. and I think uses UEFI  for the boot loader.  Any advice on how to set up a bootable TC 5.0 USB stick to work with this?  Or anybody?  :)  I've hesitated because TC 4.7 has been out so long and now TC 5.0 is coming and I was not sure how well UEFI is supported.

There's a whole thread on the efi/uefi saga:

http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,13445.msg89096.html#msg89096

In short tc-5.x (and tc-4.x with a recompiled kernel) will boot from a usb stick on both mac (efi) and pc (uefi) and I've tested tc-5.x on both.

BTW - a couple of your fltk apps need recompiling for the updated libpng in tc-5.x  ;)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 03:39:13 PM by Juanito »

Offline MikeLockmoore

« Reply #52 on: July 29, 2013, 08:05:36 PM »
Thanks Juanito.  I think I've read some of that thread before, but I need to do so more carefully so I can get a good working installation.  I want to make sure my stuff compiles and runs properly with the new TC series.

Offline jls

« Reply #53 on: October 02, 2013, 08:38:24 AM »
tryng to build in 5.x
tce-load -wil fltk-1.1.10-dev.tcz
Downloading: fltk-1.1.10-dev.tcz
Connecting to repo.tinycorelinux.net (89.22.99.37:80)
fltk-1.1.10-dev.tcz  100% |*******************************|   540k  0:00:00 ETA
fltk-1.1.10-dev.tcz: OK
jls@pc2:~$ make package
g++ "-march=i486 -mtune=i686 -Os -pipe -fno-exceptions -fno-rtti" `fltk-config --cxxflags` -Wall -c fluff.cpp
fluff.cpp:580:1: warning: narrowing conversion of '255' from 'int' to 'char' inside { } is ill-formed in C++11 [-Wnarrowing]
fluff.cpp:580:1: warning: narrowing conversion of '216' from 'int' to 'char' inside { } is ill-formed in C++11 [-Wnarrowing]
gcc `fltk-config --use-images --ldflags` -lfltk_images -lm fluff.o -o fluff
/usr/local/bin/ld: fluff.o: undefined reference to symbol '_Znaj@@GLIBCXX_3.4'
/usr/local/bin/ld: note: '_Znaj@@GLIBCXX_3.4' is defined in DSO /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6 so try adding it to the linker command line
/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: could not read symbols: Invalid operation
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [all] Error 1

dCore user

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: October 03, 2013, 03:34:55 AM »
That's a bug in fluff's Makefile, already been mentioned. It tries to use a C compiler for C++ code.

Offline MikeLockmoore

« Reply #55 on: October 06, 2013, 08:55:11 AM »
Yeah, I guess gcc would link the C++ stuff in my earlier Tiny Core installations.  Just change gcc to g++ for the link step in the makefile, if you have not yet.

I've tried again to get TC 5.0 running on my current laptop without success, probably because this laptop has UEFI boot firmware (but not SecureBoot, thank goodness). 

I have tried a few different ways to do a USB stick installation and a frugal hard disk installation and so far nothing works.  Perhaps I will post the specifics of some of my recent attempts to see if anyone can offer some suggestions.

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #56 on: October 06, 2013, 09:17:02 AM »
Just to get tc booting, have you tried setting legacy mode (or legacy USB, or...) within the BIOS.  All UEFI BIOS capable pc's should come with a legacy option.
Once booted, you should be able to install grub v2 to your USB drive using the appropriate tc-5.x extension.

As a precautionary measure, AIUI it's not advisable to boot to your existing install while in legacy mode.  At least make a backup

Good luck,

I'm still using the re-compiled latest version from this thread in tc-5.x, maybe I'll take a look at the makefile..