WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Funny colors on opera Browser  (Read 7352 times)

Offline kagashe

• My Tryst with Linux
Funny colors on opera Browser
« on: December 04, 2008, 01:55:56 AM »
Hi,

I have downloaded tinycore_1.0rc2.iso and running it after copying the iso to /tinycore and adding kernel and initrd lines in /boot/grub/menu.lst as follows:
kernel /tinycore/boot/bzImage tce=hda8
initrd /tinycore/boot/tinycore.gz quiet

I installed opera.tce

Opera is showing funny colors e.g. it is making Ubuntu logo as blue.
I mean it is showing red and brown colors in shades of blue.

kagashe
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 06:24:17 AM by kagashe »

Offline kagashe

• My Tryst with Linux
Re: Funny colors on opera Browser
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 04:57:19 AM »
I discovered that my machine can't go beyond 640x480x16 on Xvesa, although, it works on 1024x768x24 on Xorg. I used Puppy Linux to check.

I thought this was not a bug. Then I found that even after appending vga=7XX corresponding to 640x480x16 the system is booting into 1024x768x32 using Xvesa and showing funny colors.

This is a bug for my hardware.

kagashe
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 08:47:48 PM by kagashe »

Offline ^thehatsrule^

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 11:33:33 AM »
I wonder if you would need to use the Xfbdev for tinyx, but I don't think there's an extension for that... (could try taking the one from DSL perhaps?)

I saw from the other thread that you were using an intel display chip.  There may be an option in your bios to increase the shared memory given to the video/display chip.  For others, this has helped them use higher screen resolutions without the intel driver.

Offline kagashe

• My Tryst with Linux
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 08:37:31 PM »
I wonder if you would need to use the Xfbdev for tinyx, but I don't think there's an extension for that... (could try taking the one from DSL perhaps?)

I saw from the other thread that you were using an intel display chip.  There may be an option in your bios to increase the shared memory given to the video/display chip.  For others, this has helped them use higher screen resolutions without the intel driver.
There is no option in the BIOS. The resolution setting in the Xvesa line was 1024x768x32 which I changed to 1024x768x24 and the colors became normal. The bold fonts in the browser are still ugly and I will try to correct it.

You should still look into the problem how the OS is selecting the resolution for Xvesa or introduce a wizard similar to the one in Puppy Linux.

kagashe

Offline ^thehatsrule^

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2008, 09:04:21 PM »
There's xsetup if you want to configure yours.  I think the hardware reports what it supports though, or else X wouldn't launch, but I'm not sure.  I'm not sure whether or not trying to autoprobe for what seems to be a hardware implementation problem is a good idea.  You can load xorg and configure that like in your other thread if you'd like to.

Perhaps setting the default depth to 24 is a good idea anyways, since I don't think 32 is really used.

Offline kagashe

• My Tryst with Linux
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008, 09:57:24 PM »
There's xsetup if you want to configure yours.  I think the hardware reports what it supports though, or else X wouldn't launch, but I'm not sure.  I'm not sure whether or not trying to autoprobe for what seems to be a hardware implementation problem is a good idea.  You can load xorg and configure that like in your other thread if you'd like to.

Perhaps setting the default depth to 24 is a good idea anyways, since I don't think 32 is really used.
I have checked once again and found that I had also used -swaprgb option in addition to changing the resolution. In fact -swaprgb option is sufficient to change the colors to normal even on 32. Sorry for the earlier remarks.

Yes. I am going to try Xorg as well but would like to tweak Xvesa as much as I can.

kagashe

Offline kagashe

• My Tryst with Linux
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2008, 11:43:33 PM »
I am sorry. Whatever I reported for Xvesa -swaprgb option is not true. This option only changes colors to some extent like what was red or orange becomes blue but blue itself is not represented correctly. The desktop of this OS which is only one shade of blue was shown in many shades including green.

Anyway as repoted in Xorg thread it is working for me now.

kagashe

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2008, 12:46:11 AM »
This is exactly the sort of issue I have with an intel i855 graphics chipset and Xvesa - no matter what I do, the colours are not correct due to an inability to assign main memory ram as video ram - the full version of X solves the memory issue.