WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: rdesktop and limited access on client  (Read 7190 times)

Offline JimS

rdesktop and limited access on client
« on: March 31, 2012, 06:43:17 AM »
Hi all,

I have both rdesktop.tcz and glibc_gconv.tcz installed. When I connect with a Win 2003 server (simply 'rdesktop i.p. number'), I have only limited access to it's system, more specific: I see only a handful of processes / applications running, so it's almost like I'm logged in as an user, while enter the login details as an admin.
Other than a colour warning in the TC Terminal, I get no error messages / warnings at all.
FYI, I've already reported this as a possible bug on its Sourceforge page (but no reply, so far), Googled for similar cases (nothing found) and all of this works fine when I use the MS RD client on another system.
Is there a way to resolve this issue?

Thanks,

Jim

Offline gutmensch

• Administrator
  • I can make it disappear, have no fear!
    • remembrance blog
Re: rdesktop and limited access on client
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 06:56:15 AM »
Try FreeRDP as well if you wish ;)
If I seem unduly clear to you, you must have misunderstood what I said. (Alan Greenspan)

Offline JimS

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 07:39:14 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion, Gutmensch.
However, this didn't solved the issue.
As you can see on attached screenshot, I'm logged in as an admin (ID 2), so it has nothing to do with user right, though it almost seems like that.

Jim

Offline gutmensch

• Administrator
    • remembrance blog
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 07:43:51 AM »
AFAIK Windows Server treats RDP connections differently than consumer based Windows' so I doubt it's any problem with rdesktop or FreeRDP here. Do you have group policies enabled? Did you check you've got the right ones for full access via RDP (from outside)?

[edit]
There is also a "console mode" for Windows Server when connecting via RDP, which provides full access IIRC
[/edit]
If I seem unduly clear to you, you must have misunderstood what I said. (Alan Greenspan)

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 02:07:36 PM »
Hi JimS
In your screenshot, it lists another administrator, ID 0. Is the administrator logged in locally to that machine?
Maybe there's a conflict. Try logging the local administrator out and then connecting.
I just installed FreeRDP (version 1.0.0, not 0.8.2) and connected as administrator to a Windows 2008 R2 server
running NLA (Network Level Authentication). If you plan on connecting to any machines running NLA, this
appears to be the only client capable of doing it from what I've found. If you want me to check any of the settings
on my server for you, let me know. You'll probably need to provide some instructions on where to find them,
this Windows server stuff is new to me.

Offline JimS

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 04:12:30 AM »
First of all, sorry for my late reaction!

Gutmensch,
You could be right about the different treatment of RDP connections, since it's Wiki page states that RDP is a proprietary protocol. (see: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remote_Desktop_Protocol) Edit: I read on the RDesktop page "Microsoft has recently made RDP specifications openly available via the MSDN library." (rdesktop.org/#docs and msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa383015(v=vs.85).aspx)
Regarding group policies, I'm not a network expert on this, but do you refer to the 'Local Computer Policy'? If so, do I need to check certain settings in the 'Computer Configuration' or the 'User Configuration' tab? But apart from this, when I'm able to login successfully as an admin, I see no reason that the current settings limit my admin rights, compared with a MS RD session.

Rich,
No, there is no conflict when both clients are connected. The same situation happens when MS RD is closed. My FreeRDP version is up to date.
Regarding Network Level Authentication, you're able to connect this way using a Linux client? The client requirements on technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc732713.aspx state that you need MS RD 6 or higher on a Win XP or higher OS version, so please elaborate.
Yes, this stuff is also new to me, LOL

Thanks both of you for the help so far!

Jim
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 04:24:12 AM by JimS »

Offline gutmensch

• Administrator
    • remembrance blog
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 04:30:24 AM »
Heyho JimS!

Basically I refered to the gpedit.msc and actions like they are mentioned here http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/windows_2003_terminal_services_part2.html (enabling RDP, setting full access to user), but when it's working with an MS client I'm not sure where the problem is coming from. rdesktop and freerdp both support RDP version 6, rdesktop 1.7 and freerdp 1.0 support some of the RDP 7 features (Remote FX in freerdp), so this shouldn't be a problem either. Maybe the server is not trusting the linux client, but I didn't ever experience such problems. Are you running 2003 R2 or plain 2003?

Offline gutmensch

• Administrator
    • remembrance blog
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 04:33:39 AM »
"Microsoft has recently made RDP specifications openly available via the MSDN library."

That's only one half of the truth ;) AFAIK the specifications only provide the RDP standard 5, so everything after the development of XP is not exactly specified, but somehow working through reverse engineering.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 06:19:37 AM »
Hi JimS
Regarding Network Level Authentication, you're able to connect this way using a Linux client?
Yeah, I had tried to get a remote connection working about a month ago and failed. Unfortunately for me, the FreeRDP
version I chose to try was the older one, as it was much smaller. While Googling your problem I found the answer
to my problem, so I guess I owe you a thank you. Thank you.

Offline gutmensch

• Administrator
    • remembrance blog
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 06:45:46 AM »
Unfortunately for me, the FreeRDP version I chose to try was the older one, as it was much smaller.
The size is due to static linking of a ffmpeg library, only for Remote FX AFAICS... but shared wouldn't be much better, requiring ffmpeg ;) Just to note, that a much smaller version is possible with 1.0.1 when disabling ffmpeg.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2012, 06:53:42 AM »
Hi gutmensch
Actually, I was referring to the perl5 dependency in this case.

Offline gutmensch

• Administrator
    • remembrance blog
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2012, 07:10:25 AM »
oops, didn't notice the perl dependency... my build script automatically searches for perl scripts and adds it as a dep, only the file
Code: [Select]
/usr/local/share/freerdp/keymaps/xkb.pl
acts as a bad guy here. I'm gonna split it over to the -dev extension, since it's only for special manipulation of XKB maps AFAICS.

[edit]
done
[/edit]
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 07:20:21 AM by gutmensch »