WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: actual virtualbox-ose-modules is missing  (Read 5517 times)

Offline netnomad

actual virtualbox-ose-modules is missing
« on: March 18, 2012, 11:16:50 PM »
hi friends,

with the update to kernel 3.0.21 the virtualbox-ose-modules are missing.
i guess arslan is still in his military service...
and he doesn't mind, if the module is upgraded by someone else of the community.

thank you for your help and commitment.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 11:18:27 PM by netnomad »

Offline xk2600

Re: actual virtualbox-ose-modules is missing
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 04:55:10 PM »
Attached is a script to perform the entire compilation and creation of the new modules for 3.0.21.

I just modified the compilation shell script provided by maro in the thread titled 'virtualbox modules for kernel 3.0.21 that created 'virtualbox-ose-additions-modules-3.0.21-tinycore.tcz' and associated files.

Props to maro...

Everything it needs it downloads itself, and stores in /tmp as well as cleaning up after itself. The files are output to the folder where the script is run.

DO NOT RUN WITH SUDO...

to execute:
./cr_virtualbox-ose-modules-3.0.21-tinycore.sh

Good luck. Just as an fyi.... I did test VirtualBox post, and it ran and installed a VM with Windows 7, Windows XP, and FreeBSD fine..

Offline vinnie

• HandMace informatic works
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 06:00:03 PM »
Thanks, i try it soon

Offline netnomad

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 10:39:32 AM »
hi xk2600,

i successfully compiled everything according your description,
but i have no clue what i should do with the compiled files.
would you be so kind and give us some more hints...
should we make a tcz-package with some modules?
which files are the modules?
should we load the modules manually with the help of modprobe?
would you be so kind and provide us a working tcz-package?

thank you for your help.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 11:01:26 AM »
Hi netnomad
The script that xk2600 provided creates the extension and leaves it in the directory you executed the scrip from.

Offline netnomad

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 12:03:51 PM »
thank you,
now i got it.

before i didn't notice that i ran out of memory in my live-session...

Offline uggla

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 11:57:21 AM »
It would be nice if the script would work for tinycore64 as well. I tried but linux-headers-3.0.21-tinycore64.tcz was missing in the repo. Tried with linux-headers-3.0.21-tinycore.tcz but got a lot of errors. The virtualbox-source should perhaps be a different one for 64 bit as well?

Offline mofosyne

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 07:59:47 PM »
I think i got something similar. Mines a 32bit version tho, and it crashed during the 'make' phase. Does anybody have a file already compiled?

Offline mofosyne

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 06:46:34 AM »
I think i saw somebody's file posted here and deleted by a mod. If you had the file, try sending it again to the repo manager or whoever deals with the repo.

Offline xk2600

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2012, 07:09:52 AM »
It would be nice if the script would work for tinycore64 as well. I tried but linux-headers-3.0.21-tinycore64.tcz was missing in the repo. Tried with linux-headers-3.0.21-tinycore.tcz but got a lot of errors. The virtualbox-source should perhaps be a different one for 64 bit as well?

I have modified the script somewhat so it should work on 64bit as well, but am running into compilation issues running it within a 64 bit install. On previous versions 3.x I was able to cross-compile while running from a 32-bit kernel. I'll post my results when I get a chance. Also, last I remember, on 3.x I couldn't actually get the 64 bit modules to run with the virtualbox-ose provided from the repo, as it was compiled in a 32-bit environment with the 32-bit libs. It's been a while though and I unfortunately lost my previous installation of TC when a thumb drive went belly up.

Right now I'm running 32-bit with PAE on the Host (with 16GB of RAM) and 64-bit Guests underneath. Performance is equivilent to VMWare Workstation 64 bit on Ubuntu, so I don't think 64-bit is necissary unless you start getting into really large memory situations for your guests. (Right now all my guests run 4GB and under. I'm not sure what the limitations of PAE are as well.

Also, there are lots of modules that aren't compiled for 64-bit yet. I heard rumor there was going to be a 64-bit repo at some point, in the forums somewhere. I would be willing to contribute significant time to getting everything compiled if this ever happens. With everything mixed its just hard to disseminate which installs are x86_x64 cross compiled or native or 64-bit only.

Offline maro

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2012, 05:50:44 PM »
A minor note: I had prepared weeks ago a script which is (not surprisingly) rather similar to the one found in reply #1. Unfortunately I'd never done enough testing to be confident to post it here (and then I got sidetracked which can happen quite easily with me).

The main difference would be that I did not want to force any user into downloading a ca. 70 MBytes source or *.run file. For that reason I had a look around how other distributions are dealing with this problem and found that Gentoo publishes (within a few days of the release of a new VBox version) a really small source archive for the vbox kernel modules in:
   http://dev.gentoo.org/~polynomial-c/virtualbox

I had done a comparison of these Gentoo provided source files against those created by running the 'export_modules' script (in 'src/VBox/HostDrivers/linux' of the source archive). The difference (when ignoring the '$Id:' comments in the source files) boiled down to quite a small number of additional version strings defined in the Gentoo source files. At least in my limited testing the resulting kernel modules were working fine for me (until I had unrelated issues with Xorg on my newest notebook and got massively sidetracked).

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2012, 12:32:34 AM »
PAE still limits a process to 4gb.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline mofosyne

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2012, 03:54:33 AM »
soooo... what can we do? (especially for somebody who is new to linux)

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2012, 09:53:54 AM »
One solution would be to run 4.3 until someone contributes a module extension, if you need virtualbox often.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.