WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: The Control Panel  (Read 11874 times)

Offline konaexpress

The Control Panel
« on: March 12, 2012, 04:28:35 PM »
H, new guy here.

What programming language is the control panel in TC programmed with? I don't really know anything about programming but there has to be a way to make that thing look better. :o And no offense to who ever made it. I would like to help in some way if I could, even if it means I have to learn something new.

Thanks for the 411! -John
Swing hard in case you hit it!

Offline hiro

Re: The Control Panel
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 04:34:44 PM »
It's fltk 1
Tinycore might not look like the product of an arts student, but it works nonetheless :P

Offline konaexpress

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 11:04:52 PM »
It's fltk 1
Tinycore might not look like the product of an arts student, but it works nonetheless :P

O'no, please do not take that the wromg way. :-[ Tiny core is great, I just found it! I have tried allot of "small" distros and you guys had me at the desk top. Tiny core is a keeper in my book and I want to see what you guys do with it.

So then, fltk is the preferred way to program for TC, OK............. Didn't plan on learning C++......................

-John
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 11:23:09 PM by konaexpress »

Online curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 06:55:53 AM »
If you're merely doing GUI changes, the fluid editor can work without writing C++.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline konaexpress

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 07:53:40 AM »
Um....now I am afraid to say anything. :-X You guys have worked hard on this distro.

I was just wondering about changing the looks of it?..................

Online curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 08:03:02 AM »
1. Download the source from 4.x/release/src/fltk_projects/cpanel on any mirror
2. Install compiletc and fluid so you can test
3. Open cpanel.fl in fluid

In the fluid editor you can tweak the looks.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 08:11:07 AM »
Hi konaexpress
If you wish to modify the appearance of the functions called by cpanels buttons, you'll need to download
their sources as well.

Offline konaexpress

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 10:01:07 AM »
Sorry, late to the party again..............

I will get the time and take a look at them. The problem is.....

1. I kinda know what I want to do/ looking for in the design but don't really know anything about C++ other than L. Torvalds hates it.(Joke about C++)

2. My concern is that it might stray from what you guys are doing with TC in that it is a small micro distro and a more robust CPanel would not fit with your plans. Pretty graphics and more options adds bulk and size but maybe a compromise can be found.

I really love what you guys are doing with TC but it is on the verge of not being very usable by dipsh!t Mac users like me. This makes me think that other users have found it and have decided to call it home. Other users like me who are just now finding out after 12 years that OS X has a terminal are going to have problems with the most basic of things like mounting the CD Rom or getting the wifi up when roaming around on a netbook.

It's the most basic things from the point of view of a new user that is difficult to do but I think is a given by Linux users. Out of the small distros out there and I know I do not have to name them, Tiny Core Linux is the cleanest and sharpest I have found. Most small distros are a bit of a train reck to look at and use.

Hopefully I can find a way to help you guys out/ find something I can do for the community and call this home too. Even if it is to eventually make things that don't go out on the main distro but is available for users to download later and use when/if they need it.

Nothing I have said is meant as a slam about TC or your work. Maybe this is not the distro for me for now, but I want it to be so bad.........

Give me some time and I will play and dig around some more and see if I cant find a corner to hang out in. -John

Offline konaexpress

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 12:09:15 PM »
OK, I have been doing some thinking about it. I look at programming like I do at golf. I always knew I could do it but never wanted to give the time that it would take to do it. Two years ago I would have laughed at some one if they would have told me that I would tern into a golf fanatic and now be a mod for a large online golf community.  :o

::) What the hell...........

Besides downloading the fltk apps, what else would I need? A "C" IDE I would imagine of some kind. Any suggestions on this? I like LXDE for my desktop but I guess I could set up another TC in a VBox with FLDE(?) as a base model and set it up for programming as long as I know what apps to download.

Any online tuts that you guys can think of would help me allot to get started....

-John

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2012, 12:22:42 PM »
Hi konaexpress
Just follow curagas instructions in reply #5.
If you click on the icon at the bottom of the screen that looks like a disc drive, the mount tool will pop up,
no need for the command line to mount a drive.

Offline vinnie

• HandMace informatic works
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2012, 05:49:11 PM »
I frankly do not care much about the interface design, only one thing I have to criticize, is really wrong to create an interface with the font not editable (or editable with much difficulty, like having to recompile), basically means to make life difficult for those who have problems of view (me included).
is this is a real shame considering that the fltk are really fast and they are also scalable: I remember this flkt 1 program, with the interface font scalable http://nut.sourceforge.net/
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 05:53:51 PM by vinnie »

Online curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2012, 09:52:37 AM »
That's true, an env var etc could be added to change the default font size. While readable, the buttons etc wouldn't stretch though (standard fltk behavior), so using a much bigger font wouldn't look too good.

Offline konaexpress

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2012, 11:00:05 AM »
I know this is not much and kinda ugly but it is what I have until I can figure out an icon/png that will replace the ugly buttons. Fluid is kinda neat but not the most intuitive program. I will have to figure out a button/png size for this to work. For now, every thing is big so that my old eyes can see it at 2 in the morning. ;D

I could go in another direction if any one has any ideas.

-John

Screen shot 2012-03-21 at 10.46.48 AM by The Kona Express, on Flickr

Offline konaexpress

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2012, 02:01:13 PM »
How about this?

-John

Screen shot 2012-03-21 at 1.56.02 PM by The Kona Express, on Flickr

Offline vinnie

• HandMace informatic works
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2012, 04:35:43 PM »
Ops.
is nice, but I really just enough to change the font :) (because we must also consider the small monitors!)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 04:37:30 PM by vinnie »