WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: CDROM  (Read 11210 times)

Offline Tejas

Re: CDROM
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2012, 02:33:53 PM »
TC 3.8.4

Something I've just realised, with all TC versions 'tested' till now, 'fd0' has been missing from the equation!
Code: [Select]
                                                                                                               MOUNT TOOL DISPLAY
                                                                                                                   ---------
From now on the 'mount tool' displays not just 'sda1',                                                            |  fd0    |
                                                                                                                   ---------
and the boot varies in behaviour depending on the CD!                                                             |  hdb    |
                                                                                                                   ---------
                                                                                                                  |  sda1  |
                                                                                                                   ---------

NB. Non-standard mount points in the following results are indicative of failure on the part of the 'mount tool' to mount the respective device.

1.  No CD in CD ROM Drive
02:01
tc@box:~$ cat /proc/version
Linux version 2.6.33.3-tinycore (root@box) (gcc version 4.2.2) #2012 SMP Wed May 12 17:05:42 EEST 2010
tc@box:~$ mkdir cd
tc@box:~$ mount
rootfs on / type rootfs (rw,relatime,size=54100k,nr_inodes=6474)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,relatime)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,relatime)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,relatime,mode=600)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,relatime)

CD Inserted

tc@box:~$ sudo mount /dev/hdb cd -t iso9660
tc@box:~$ ls cd
autorun.inf   casper/       md5sum.txt    preseed/
boot/         isolinux/     mint4win.exe

/dev/hdb on /home/tc/cd type iso9660 (ro,relatime)

tc@box:~$ mkdir floppy
tc@box:~$ sudo mount /dev/fd0 floppy -t vfat
tc@box:~$ ls floppy
README.html               kexec-loader.conf~        linux.upx
kexec-loader.conf         ldlinux.sys               modules/
kexec-loader.conf_010312  linux.cfg                 syslinux.cfg

/dev/hdb on /home/tc/cd type iso9660 (ro,relatime)
/dev/fd0 on /home/tc/floppy type vfat (ro,relatime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,errors=remount-ro)
/dev/sda1 on /mnt/sda1 type vfat (rw,relatime,fmask=0000,dmask=0000,allow_utime=0022,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,errors=remount-ro)
Corres 'dmesg': dmesgTC3.8.4NoCD

2.  CD '7P' in CD ROM Drive (Burnt using Brassero under Mint) gives rise to a host of boot errors because the boot INsists On reading the CD in the drive, although it is perfectly capable of informing about the Jolliet Extensions without a CD to read. After an inordinately long time it gives up and normally completes the boot, with only one incident of the system freezing.
02:29
Linux version 2.6.33.3-tinycore (root@box) (gcc version 4.2.2) #2012 SMP Wed May 12 17:05:42 EEST 2010

tc@box:~$ ls /mnt/hdb
Directions/ Images/

tc@box:~$ ls /mnt/fd0

/dev/hdb on /mnt/hdb type iso9660 (ro,relatime)
/dev/fd0 on /mnt/fd0 type vfat (ro,relatime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,errors=remount-ro)
/dev/sda1 on /mnt/sda1 type vfat (rw,relatime,fmask=0000,dmask=0000,allow_utime=0022,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,errors=remount-ro)

COPYING               isolinux/             utils/
EFI/                  live/
GParted-Live-Version  syslinux/
Corres 'dmesg': dmesgTC3.8.4CD7P

3.  CD 'GP' in CD ROM Drive (Burnt using K3b under Kanotix)read by boot without a hitch!
02:48

COPYING               isolinux/             utils/
EFI/                  live/
GParted-Live-Version  syslinux/

tc@box:~$ mkdir flop
tc@box:~$ sudo mount /dev/fd0 flop -t vfat
tc@box:~$ ls flop

Directions/ Images/

/dev/fd0 on /home/tc/flop type vfat (ro,relatime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,errors=remount-ro)
Corres 'dmesg': dmesgTC3.8.4cdGP

4.  No CD 'CD_0' in CD ROM Drive This time 'mount tool' at the second attempt was able to mount 'fd0'.
03:03

autorun.inf   casper/       md5sum.txt    preseed/
boot/         isolinux/     mint4win.exe

/dev/fd0 on /mnt/fd0 type vfat (ro,relatime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,errors=remount-ro)
Corres 'dmesg': dmesgTC3.8.4NoCD_0

Tamam Shud
Maro, hopefully lots of useful data for you to get your teeth stuck into :)

Offline Tejas

« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2012, 02:00:48 PM »
Well, I'm not going to let the grass grow under my feet. It's gone over a month now, barring a holiday or two, and not a peep from the team. It's somewhat disappointing that the team have not seen fit to acknowledge my effort to provide a comprehensive set of results, nor bothered to supply any explanation for some of the puzzling facts I pointed out. :(

When 2.6.33 worked I could very well have gone off and not come back to you at all, and left you guessing. However I know from my stint in 1st Line and s/w support that we would be glad of any feedback for a fix, and we abhorred it when this was met with complete silence.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2012, 10:24:57 PM »
Hi Tejas
It is not reasonable to expect an operating system to function properly if you try to run it on faulty hardware.
Whether that dead drive is a source of your problems is unknown, since you won't take the time to learn how
to operate a screwdriver so you can disconnect it. Speaking for myself, until you remove this unknown from
the equation, I don't see any point in pursuing this any further.

Offline Tejas

« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2012, 05:34:19 AM »
Hi Rich

As far as I'm concerned 2.6.33 does the job, and there's no point in taking anything further!

P.S.  I'm dependent for all my printing needs on the parallel interface of the old box.  So should I take a screwdriver to it and short something of vital importance, I'll be  up for a new USB printer. :(
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 09:09:47 AM by Tejas »

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2012, 09:21:36 AM »
If you don't know how to unplug a computer, and remove the connectors from the faulty drive, maybe you should not be using it.

Offline Tejas

« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2012, 05:36:08 AM »
If you don't know how to unplug a computer, and remove the connectors from the faulty drive, maybe you should not be using it.
I'll use it until it gives up the ghost ;)

Offline thane

« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2012, 10:02:23 PM »
Well, as I said above, I had to disconnect the (dead) hard drive for my old computer to be useful any longer. Maybe that's more like amputation?