WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: IDEA: Remastered TC to deploy and get hardware information.  (Read 3825 times)

Offline HappyMan

IDEA: Remastered TC to deploy and get hardware information.
« on: February 14, 2021, 12:42:13 PM »
Hello everybody

1.   What I want to do:
I want to remaster TC and add some extensions like lshw, dmidecode smartmontools, HDSentinel ,BurnInTest etc etc
2.   What will be the usage of it:
I will deploy this to bare metal machines in order to get detailed hardware information.

So far I have already made a remastered iso with the extensions that I want.  At this point I want to mention that before I make the remaster I also added some lines into bootlocal.sh file.
For example /bin/lshw -xml etc etc  (which will produce a xml file with several hardware information)

At this point I want to make a dialog which will pop up at the beginning of the boot of my remastered TC. This dialog will have several options for me. For example I will be able to check the health of the hdd using HDsentinel. Another thing is to have an option to format the hdds of the bare machine.

Imagine that when this remastered iso will be booted, it will automatically run in background BurnInTest  and some lines from bootlocal.sh and it will generate a -xml file which will contain several hardware information.
I will make sure to add the output of several other extensions like HDSentinel into this xml that will be produced from lshw.

I know how to make this dialog and what scripts I must add inside.
What I don’t know is how this dialog will pop up directly after the boot of the remastered ISO.
Imagine that I deploy from network this iso into a bare metal machine (desktop computer)
BurnInTest run in background really fast. The lines from bootlocal.sh run also in background and produce xml with hardware info really really fast.
Then a dialog pop up with several options.

How I make this dialog to pop up and stay as infinite loop?
If i choose an option from this dialog it has to stay there and not disappear.

Lets say hypothetically I made this dialog.
Where do I put it?To which directory in TC? Do I have to configure anything inside TC? This dialog interacts with anything inside TC?

I don’t know if I explain well what I want to do.
If you need any clarifications please let me know

Offline Rich

• Administrator
Re: IDEA: Remastered TC to deploy and get hardware information.
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2021, 02:00:40 PM »
Hi HappyMan
Welcome to the forum.

... What I don’t know is how this dialog will pop up directly after the boot of the remastered ISO.

----- Snip -----

Lets say hypothetically I made this dialog.
Where do I put it?To which directory in TC? ...
Presumably you want X to be running when you launch this dialog. Your dialog will be controlled by a script I suppose.

Place your script in /opt, for example  /opt/MyDialogs.sh.

Add the contents of the attached file to your  /opt/bootsync.sh  file before it calls  /opt/bootlocal.sh.
This should cause your script to be launched as soon as X is running.