WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Looking for term-apps +dwm: irssi-newsbeuter-ranger-bitlbee-jumanji  (Read 6422 times)

Offline tweed

Hi, happy new tinycore fan here.

irssi !!!  there's a tcz?

would love this. is it a mirror and a particular one i need to find as i can't see it in the normal repo.

on the hunt for:
bitlbee
jumanji
irssi
ranger
newsbeuter
dwm

i will try dwm and dmenu perhaps though the default and available wm(s) are cool too.
I should learn to build .tcz myself i wonder.
all great!

thanks!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 03:03:40 AM by tweed »

Offline solorin

Re: Looking for term-apps +dwm: irssi-newsbeuter-ranger-bitlbee-jumanji
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 09:45:06 PM »
irssi should already be in the repo.
http://distro.ibiblio.org/tinycorelinux/4.x/x86/tcz/irssi.tcz
(you should grab it thru appbrowser as there are some dependencies)

dwm takes a recompile to reconfigure. so i didn't see any sense in packaging it for the repository.
it compiles cleanly tho and only needs x-org-7.6-lib.tcz (at runtime).
see: http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,10804.msg56942.html#msg56942

also note you have to create a script in /usr/local/tce.installed when you create the package if you want dwm to be loaded automatically as your wm. refer to the file packaged with other wm's.

if you can configure it with some sensible defaults for Core. IMHO, I don't see why it couldn't go into the repository. but that decision ultimately lies with the repository maintainers.

if your looking for a tiny tiling window manager without all that fuss,  maybe you' d like euclid-wm.
if you do get into package making tho, i'm keen to see bitlbee as well.
for some of the other apps - alas we have different tastes. I currently use vifm instead of ranger and xxxterm instead of jumanji.

cheerio.

. . . if you don't know, now you know. . .
        ----- R.I.P. Biggie Smalls -----

Offline tweed

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 07:49:32 AM »
WOW solorin ... thank you!!!!!

i set the post to inform me of replies though I'll have to check that as I, errr... manually popped by for a look. woohoo! um, for me it'll be dwm as I've just left a fantasically functional xmonad and gone to dwm on my desktop. I'm using tinycore on a USB stick and it's providing a great deal of joy due to having suffered though multiple horrors with that other popular system. yea tinycore! SO logical. Still taking babysteps with TC.

So: dwm um, if there was a default package (that would be great) it would have the default keycommand and that would be fine. and, oh, i though I could just put exec dwm in an .xinitrc and I'd be fine? not so? I think i know generally why this would be though not any of the tech facts yet. the squashed filesystem and all i hazard to guess.

To build i wonder if i have all the required stuff in default system of if need to add some kind of devel gcc package(s).

on irssi, i used appbrowser and it wasn't there. hoping/expecting it my error on that.

i'm still puzzled about the mirrors repo aspects. i added mirrors.tcz and still have a few issues and lots of not quite understanding. mirrors aren't needed though i have some issues ocassionally connecting to main repo.

expecting I'm way off on a few things here.
So, another big thanks!

added note: i guess the forum isn't set to automatically send replies. that should be the default i guess though maybe isn't? if it's not maybe that would be a problem for keeping things moving. dunno what happened if it is the default as i had to set it to send replies manually just now.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 07:52:06 AM by tweed »

Offline solorin

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 06:44:03 AM »
so did you manage to get irssi working despite your appbrowser issues?
if not i guess you could manually install it by copying the extension, the dependency file (.dep), and the md5sum (.md5.txt) from the same directory on ibiblio to your tce/optional directory, also for any dependencies it lists in the .dep file.

'fraid i can't give you much help beyond that - not even sure that advice above won't have unholy side effects.

making extensions is fun and liberating.  http://wiki.tinycorelinux.net/wiki:creating_extensions is the page to read.
you'll need the compiletc extension to compile c/c++ programs. and the squashfs-tools-4.x.tcz to pack it up.
as well as any headers for the dependencies, usually packaged as somelibname-dev.tcz.  for dwm you'll need X-org7.6-dev.tcz

the tce.installed script to load the wm is just how they're packaged around here, i guess. I suppose you could do it anyway you want
if it was just for private consumption. just letting you know in case you wanted to submit something to the repo. there'll be a .X.d folder
in your home folder you can put shell scripts that you want to run upon starting x there.

if that's too much, but you've got few spare bitcoins you'd like to trade, i'd be happy to package anything up for you.

cheerio.

Offline tweed

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 01:48:19 PM »
i noticed there is are 2 version of irssi which is a dev version as well as the stable i guess.
cool! now I've taken the error i got running it as reason to get better at TCL, the run in ram, squashfs
... if I'm even accurate about that.

The error is:
NO WINDOWS: -!- irssi Invalid character set CP1252

easy one i figure.

really interested to get my fav term apps running over the weekend!

Thanks solorin !!!
crazy busy though wanted to write back here right now.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 07:13:52 PM »
Hi tweed
i noticed there is are 2 version of irssi which is a dev version as well as the stable i guess.
No, there is one version of  irssi. Extensions that contain  -dev  in their name are development extensions
which typically contain headers and libraries to link against. They are only used when compiling.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2012, 01:09:55 AM »
The irssi extension is in need of a rebuild, see the topic in tce bugs.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline tweed

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2012, 02:28:08 AM »
Great to know! sound for me like an opportunity to learn building packages (extensions?) on TCL.
bit of a rush here, i should think about do a quick TCL /packages/entensions read.

thanks! yeah, gonna need to build dwm-newsbeuter-ranger-bitlbee-jumangi

woohoo!

Offline solorin

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 02:34:19 AM »
dwm.tcz submitted to the repository.

cheerio,
solorin

Offline tweed

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2012, 08:07:20 AM »
WHOA!!! solorin... biggest gratitude for help and info.
so, it's been a wacky week with just enough TCL to have me moving forward.

EDIT: I don't understand if TCL can use an .xinitrc with "exec dwm" in it. i seem to recall the squashfs? doesn't work quite like that. (rushing sorry)  The other day i coopied over my dwm binary and put it in /usr/bin. i think i added an .xinitrc as well. can't quite recll. hey, all will work out and TCL is the system to learn woohoo!

---earlier original reply below ---
I figure it best to start a new thead about fat32, multiple USB partitions 'logic or not', and where DO all the .tcz files go (guru-style). My first thread started (before this one) had me stumbling around trying to get running past tx@box prompt on a usb stick boot.  I've yet to clean up what appears to be core files copied from ISO into two locations( folders on stick. 

sorta long one that and rushing here so not attempting to facticize on where things went and what happened to get running without installing and just copying iso files over to grub2 bootable USB stick.
TCL is really really showing itself to be long-term wonderful.

good morning!
indeed! 

yeah, leaving xmonad for (as i understand it), the originator dwm has been very nicely spartan,
and there's tons of very cool patches for dwm.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 08:10:51 AM by tweed »

Offline solorin

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2012, 05:53:14 PM »
dwm.tcz should work out of the box. no need to write an .xinitrc,
granted start-dwm isn't much of a startup script, but hey it get's the job done.

the patches look cool, particularly transparency, and dwm-sprinkles.
and there are a # of status bar programs that would be nice to add.

when you're ready to package stuff, can i ask you to submit them to the repository as different package?
for example: dwm-patched.tcz, dwm-sprinkles.tcz or whatever.
i think people who want a simply configured dwm for tinycore deserve to have one.
that's not to say if you or others want a simple minor change to the configuration that it won't be
considered.

'fraid i really can't help you with your other problems.

Offline tweed

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2012, 09:13:26 PM »
good to know and absolutely!
was going to write back after a play this weekend and expect to have time.
yes on seeing dwm-sprinkles. can't quite recall though i believe i made it a comparison
package thinking that adding custom patches myself would be better based on a couple of
threads i found. may have been some other point on sprinkles though can't recall this moment.

So, hmmm, i do like an .xinitrc and will be interested to discover how TCL needs to differ.
i believe it's a lot to do with? that the packages are kinda standalone-ish and are loaded
with deps at runtime.

tally-ho into the weekend, uhh, or something. yeah, it's been crazy busy. looking forward.

RANGER is every bit as amazing as DWM. The binary should run by itself though it does
like to have a few extras options stuff in /.config folder. I think i have that sorta right.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 09:17:53 PM by tweed »

Offline solorin

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2012, 12:34:51 AM »
whoops. my bad, tweed. just did some testing.
dwm.tcz does not work out of the box.
if you want dwm to start globally (all users) you should add desktop=dwm to your bootcodes.
if you want to start dwm for a particular user just copy /usr/local/bin/start-dwm into ~/.X.d
you can now edit start-dwm to your taste.

i tried copying it to ~/.xinitrc but that didn't work.

it's also possible to modify /usr/local/start-dwm by adding it to /opt/.filetool.lst
but i did that and it didn't start with the modified script.
guess my tinycore-fu isn't strong enough yet.
would anyone else care to shed some illumination on this topic?

cheerio,
solorin

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2012, 12:54:53 AM »
Make sure you don't have any other WM loaded at the same time (flwm?). On a quick look, start-dwm is not executable.

I don't remember the WM interface right now, but see the flwm extension.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline solorin

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2012, 01:04:56 AM »
[Edit:] nope. still not it.
will look at flwm interface.

still thanks much, curaga.

in other news, mods - perhaps this thread should be moved to the TCE section, no?

cheerio,
solorin
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 01:39:07 AM by solorin »