WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: libdvdcss  (Read 2703 times)

Offline Mir

libdvdcss
« on: March 07, 2012, 03:18:34 PM »
Hello from the IRC channel!  i was working with TC and got annoyed when i could not play a DVD.  seems libdvdread is insufficent.  i went into the IRC channel and brought it up and glc_ and ^thatstherule^ commented on it.  glc_  mentioned something bout it being possibly illegal in some areas of the world and the legality of hosting it.  ^thatstherule^ mentioned that i should look on the forums here but alas that bore no fruit.

So i thought i would make a request for Libdvdcss or libdvdcss2

I look forward to any development. 

Mir

#tinycorelinux on irc.freenode.net

Offline maro

Re: libdvdcss
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 03:37:47 PM »
... ^thatstherule^ mentioned that i should look on the forums here but alas that bore no fruit. ...

Did you use the 'Search' function for the forum? Because I just searched for the term 'Libdvdcss' (with the 'Search order' setting of 'Most recent topic first) and (ignoring the first hit as this is obviously this thread here) the second hit contains some reasoning (in reply #82) why this won't be an "official" extension. The third thread contains by the looks of it all the information you need to know to resolve your question.

Offline Mir

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 04:05:20 PM »
thanks.  i guess i will just have to compile it for now.

http : // www. psychocats . net/ubuntucat/the-legality-or-illegality-of-w32codecs-and-libdvdcss2/  <-- i posted this on the irc channel (take out the extra spaces)

Sadly i guess i dont understand the legal ramifications of the libdvdcss liscense to understand why people act like its something dangerous like a werewolf with sypilis.

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 04:44:33 PM »
It all has to do with the DMCA.

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 06:05:07 PM »
Yeah it's a sad state of affairs but it's also a matter of CYA   we've all had to compile our own libdvdcss extensions and this status doesn't look like changing any time soon.   But hey your new libdvdcss extension works on all your machines :D

Offline Mir

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 01:22:43 PM »
It all has to do with the DMCA.

There has not been a case agianst libdvdcss using DMCA.  just an FYI.

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 10:28:04 PM »
And lets keep it that way :)