WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Source Code Tarball  (Read 17900 times)

Offline Areal Person

Source Code Tarball
« on: December 13, 2011, 06:55:17 PM »

Is there a source tarball, Or must I click every file in the source directory tree
to download it ?

I can't believe there's no tarball of the source code.  :P

Offline Rich

• Administrator
Re: Source Code Tarball
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 07:20:38 PM »
Hi Areal Person
You don't state what you are looking for. The latest kernel is here:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/tinycorelinux/4.x/x86/release/src/kernel/
Just two files, the patched kernel and the config file.
If you are looking for a tarball containing the source for the 3500+ applications, there is none.

Offline Areal Person

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 11:16:48 AM »
Thanks, that's what I was looking for, just the Tinycore source code.

So Tinycore is just the patched kernel and a config file ?

Kool ! I want to do some development on that in VirtualBox.

It looks kinda funny, the src files say 3.0.3, but I thought the binary package was 1.4.3 ??
Whats up with that ??

Thanks.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 11:32:12 AM by Areal Person »

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 01:18:13 PM »
Hi Areal Person
I'm not sure if you have ever compiled a kernel before, if not, may I suggest you read the following:
http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,8717.msg47128.html#msg47128
http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,12010.msg63942.html#msg63942
but I thought the binary package was 1.4.3 ??
I don't know what you are referring to here.

Offline crankypuss

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 02:38:57 AM »
Hi Areal Person
You don't state what you are looking for. The latest kernel is here:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/tinycorelinux/4.x/x86/release/src/kernel/
Just two files, the patched kernel and the config file.
If you are looking for a tarball containing the source for the 3500+ applications, there is none.

I've recently been considering the idea of a new "distro" but the terms of the GPL make it look nearly impossible.  According to the GPL, if you distribute the binaries you must also distribute the "corresponding source" code.  I'm no expert on the legalisms, but offhand I would say that TinyCore is massively out of compliance.  Don't get too mad at me, I think this aspect of the GPL sucks, and I am beginning to expect that very few distros are actually in compliance. 

Frankly I think "what the world needs" is either a newer version of the GPL than GPL-3, or some kind of repository tool that would round up the source code for all the unmodified binaries that people are (illegally, according to the GPL) distributing, so the game is playable according to the rules.

Anyway I have serious doubts about the viability of the GPL as a license for free source projects because of just this issue.  I've been looking at other, non-GPL kernels, but the Linux kernel seems (so far) to be the best one going... haven't looked at them all yet.  And I absolutely do not want to sit down and write a kernel from scratch, that's one fugly job.  So maybe I'll try to come up with some kind of repository tool, or work with the FSF folks to see what can be done, or maybe I'll just shake my head and walk away, keep using Linux but not contributing because of the risibility of the required license.

We live in "interesting times" just like the old Chinese curse refers to. <g>

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 03:26:21 AM »
I'm no expert on the legalisms, but offhand I would say that TinyCore is massively out of compliance.

The source code for the extensions is found in, for example:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/tinycorelinux/4.x/x86/tcz/src

..but  maybe you were thinking we were out of compliance for another reason?

Offline Guy

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 03:52:41 AM »
I've recently been considering the idea of a new "distro"

If you do decide to make a new distro, use Tinycore long enough to understand how it works, and incoporate ideas from Tinycore.

In particular the frugal installation. The operating system and apps are read-only, which greatly reduces the likelihood of filesystem corruption.
Many people see what is. Some people see what can be, and make a difference.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 10:52:47 AM »
Hi crankypuss
According to the GPL, if you distribute the binaries you must also distribute the "corresponding source" code.
I didn't say the sources for extensions was not available, only that they are not all packed into one massive file.
keep using Linux but not contributing because of the risibility of the required license.
If you wish to compile and submit an existing program GPL program, just include the the source with the submission.
If you wish to submit a program you wrote yourself, decide on how you want to license it. If you go with GPL, include
the source with the submission, otherwise, you don't have to.
That should satisfy compliance on your part.

Offline crankypuss

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 12:45:24 PM »
I'm no expert on the legalisms, but offhand I would say that TinyCore is massively out of compliance.

The source code for the extensions is found in, for example:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/tinycorelinux/4.x/x86/tcz/src

..but  maybe you were thinking we were out of compliance for another reason?

Apparently I misunderstood Rich's post where he said "If you are looking for a tarball containing the source for the 3500+ applications, there is none."

Thans Juanito.

Offline crankypuss

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2012, 12:50:32 PM »
I've recently been considering the idea of a new "distro"

If you do decide to make a new distro, use Tinycore long enough to understand how it works, and incoporate ideas from Tinycore.

In particular the frugal installation. The operating system and apps are read-only, which greatly reduces the likelihood of filesystem corruption.

Thanks Guy.

Offline crankypuss

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2012, 12:54:45 PM »
Hi crankypuss
According to the GPL, if you distribute the binaries you must also distribute the "corresponding source" code.
I didn't say the sources for extensions was not available, only that they are not all packed into one massive file.
Yes, I did mistake your meaning there; my bad.
keep using Linux but not contributing because of the risibility of the required license.
If you wish to compile and submit an existing program GPL program, just include the the source with the submission.
If you wish to submit a program you wrote yourself, decide on how you want to license it. If you go with GPL, include
the source with the submission, otherwise, you don't have to.
That should satisfy compliance on your part.

I'm a little confused about "submit a program", are you assuming but not stating TC there?  If not there must be some "big submission place in the sky"? <g>

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2012, 01:02:26 PM »
If you wish to contribute an extension, just do it.