WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Core v4.4rc3  (Read 34134 times)

Offline coreplayer2

Re: Core v4.4rc3
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2012, 12:40:43 PM »
WOW I don't ever remember a dual slot PIII, but then I forget a lot too..

this old notebook which incidentally runs great, has run flawlessly since 2000  :D

Offline bernhard

• Wiki Author
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2012, 12:59:46 PM »
I just rechecked it, the board is even older than I remembered.
Bios dates back to 04/11/2000. Its an IEI Rocky P220BX.
The manual has copyright year 1998 :-)
It has an usb 2 board in the PCI bus and PloP sits in the MBR of the hard disk so I can
boot from USB without hassle since this old bios does not support booting over USB.
--
  Bernhard
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 01:02:51 PM by bernhard »

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2012, 01:05:17 PM »
Mine was End Of Line in 2000, so same era I guess

either way it still doesn't boot with any version of isolinux/syslinux above 4.0   :(

Am still attempting to boot tc4.4rc3 with isolinux 3.82..

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2012, 01:06:43 PM »
Hi bernhard
To determine the approximate age of the motherboard, check the the date codes on the chips and use
the most recent one.

Offline devzero

« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2012, 02:10:02 AM »
Hello,
i had issues using TinyCore 4.x on Neoware ThinClient. 3.x ran fine, but new cpufreq feature in the base install causing problem for me. (freeze)

I could resolve that by adding longhaul.disable=1 to the bootparams, but i`m not sure if others will easily find this post or workaround. I also reported that upstream and longhaul module is considered to be a candidate for being marked as broken again - Dave Miller needs to decide. btw, blacklist=longhaul did not work, i`m curious, isn`t that param especially for such case?

There is a suggestion at http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=12788.new;topicseen#new  to move the longhaul module into a separate tzc. I don´t know how many people using longhaul actively and successfully. 

What about adding a "safe mode" feature as boot option, like other distros typically offer (acpi=off, noapic, edd=off, no cpufreq etc) ? That would at least make troubleshooting easier....

regards
Roland

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2012, 04:26:25 AM »
The ISOLINUX problem is consistently reproducible with each and every isolinux version  since IIRC 4.0, 4.01, 4.02, 4.03, 4.05, I believe I just attempted 4.06 it's a shame but they all fail to boot on old equipment I have..    Pity really because Grub is considerably slower to boot than isolinux on PC's that it works on.

Isolinux 3.x (all versions) work great on my old notebook, yet for some reason I have trouble booting TC after version 4.1 with it.  I don't think there is any reason for this, right?  Am really looking for tc4.4 to run on older equipment but the isolinux issue makes this a non starter. 

UPDATE:  Have successfully created a new ISO blending CorePlus4.4rc3 and isolinux 3.82 with a rewrite of the boot menu structure which now boots perfectly on my old notebook,  I'm a happy camper thank you
 8)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 04:28:55 AM by coreplayer2 »

Offline philip

« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2012, 11:51:56 AM »
... or if you only use Core (no X) or Xorg did not start and only have a system prompt use:
tce-audit builddb
tce-audit fetchmissing
When I updated from 4.3, following instructions carefully, I didn't get a GUI at boot. waitforX eventually gave up and I was granted a command prompt, so I entered the commands quoted above. Some kernel-dependent extensions got installed, but the one that I needed to start the GUI was not included: graphics-3.0.21-tinycore.tcz. After installing that one manually, everything is fine. Please investigate. Thanks!

Offline vinnie

• HandMace informatic works
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2012, 06:39:16 PM »
I don´t know how many people using longhaul actively and successfully. 
In my case integrated cpuscaling work fine

What about adding a "safe mode" feature as boot option, like other distros typically offer (acpi=off, noapic, edd=off, no cpufreq etc) ? That would at least make troubleshooting easier....
could be a solution

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2012, 11:08:25 AM »
... or if you only use Core (no X) or Xorg did not start and only have a system prompt use:
tce-audit builddb
tce-audit fetchmissing
When I updated from 4.3, following instructions carefully, I didn't get a GUI at boot. waitforX eventually gave up and I was granted a command prompt, so I entered the commands quoted above. Some kernel-dependent extensions got installed, but the one that I needed to start the GUI was not included: graphics-3.0.21-tinycore.tcz. After installing that one manually, everything is fine. Please investigate. Thanks!
Was tested against an Xvesa as well as an Xorg setup. Could be that your dep files were not updated. Using Update .dep files would take care of that,
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2012, 01:51:02 PM »
Seems fromiso doesn't support label/uuid?
Added support for LABEL & UUID
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.