WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: minefield xchat  (Read 10040 times)

Offline softwaregurl

• Suspended
minefield xchat
« on: December 03, 2008, 10:19:52 AM »
I typed the command from the menu files to see what error is give.  I get this from both minefield and xchat.  They don't start.
Code: [Select]
Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
Using the fallback 'C' locale.
Illegal instruction
Old wounds that have never healed need to be re-exposed before the cure can be applied.  The cure must be available before the wound is re-exposed.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: minefield xchat
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 10:40:11 AM »
The locale error is not important; Illegal instruction on the other hand.. How old is the cpu on your computer?

Xchat can be pretty quickly fixed, as it's a small app, but FF, honestly, was such a beating it might take a lot of time before someone finds the time & will to redo it.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 11:59:37 AM »
I am in the process of converting my extensions to i486 compatibility.  I wasn't thinking of non-i686 usage until recently, and after quite a few extensions were made.  I have changed over a few of them already and I was hoping I could get most of them done before the issue was noticed.

I had pulled out my Pentium 4 from safe keeping to play with kernel some but I will let it be of service in the extension rebuilding marathion.  I will start with GTK2 and Xchat and work my way down. 

Of course, folks are always welcome to rebuild and submit an extension.  The build scripts should pretty much work with some minor changes like the menu and other things that have changed the last few months.  The CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS would preferably change to:

export CFLAGS="-march=i486 -mtune=i686 -Os -pipe"
export CXXFLAGS="-march=i486 -mtune=i686 -Os -pipe -fno-exceptions -fno-rtti"

« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 12:03:44 PM by Jason W »

Offline softwaregurl

• Suspended
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 12:17:14 PM »
200mhz pentium 2 tiger GT200.  I'm using this one because theres nothing important on it, has cd burner and boots from cd.  I'm pooring over BLFS so I can understand compiling. 
Old wounds that have never healed need to be re-exposed before the cure can be applied.  The cure must be available before the wound is re-exposed.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 12:28:20 PM »
Pentium 2 Intel should work just fine.  But anyway, I am putting together for you a temporaty GTK2/Xchat you can use for now.  I will post the link.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 12:37:13 PM »
I'm surprised it was a P2 - I can't think why FF would default to SSE optimization. But forcing 486 on it will be on my todo list.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 01:47:55 PM »
Oh well, tried to whip together a temporary xchat package from slackware but it is taking more time than I thought.  I will spend that time rebuilding GTK2 and such instead.

Offline softwaregurl

• Suspended
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2008, 03:35:37 PM »
i checked sysem stats about the processor.
processor : 0
vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
cpu family : 5
model : 6
model name : AMD-K6tm w/ multimedia extensions
stepping : 1
cpu MHz : 200.458
cache size : 64 KB
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 1
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr cx8 mmx up
bogomips : 402.76
clflush size : 32
power management:
part of dmesg
Initializing CPU#0
PID hash table entries: 1024 (order: 10, 4096 bytes)
Detected 200.458 MHz processor.
Checking if this processor honours the WP bit even in supervisor mode...Ok.
CPA: page pool initialized 1 of 1 pages preallocated
Calibrating delay using timer specific routine.. 402.76 BogoMIPS (lpj=670028)
Mount-cache hash table entries: 512
AMD K6 stepping B detected - probably OK (after B9730xxxx).
Please see http://membres.lycos.fr/poulot/k6bug.html
CPU: L1 I Cache: 32K (32 bytes/line), D cache 32K (32 bytes/line)
Checking 'hlt' instruction... OK.
SMP alternatives: switching to UP code
Freeing SMP alternatives: 13k freed
ACPI: Core revision 20080321
ACPI Exception (tbxface-0629): AE_NO_ACPI_TABLES, While loading namespace from ACPI tables [20080321]
ACPI: Unable to load the System Description Tables
weird, boot CPU (#0) not listedby the BIOS.
SMP motherboard not detected.
Local APIC not detected. Using dummy APIC emulation.
SMP disabled
Brought up 1 CPUs
Total of 1 processors activated (402.76 BogoMIPS).
I'll see what's in bios. Cpu not listed by the bios does sound wierd  And it's an AMD not Intel.  edit:  I see Plug and Play Aware O/S in a lot of old bios.  Is TC?
further edit:  now i'm getiing beeps-of-death intermitently on startup.  I'm going to save myself a battle. I have other motherboards that would love to live inside this case.
I have an AMD k6 that is 450mhz, and it will not run i686 compiled apps.
Of course, folks are always welcome to rebuild and submit an extension.
As soon as i have a reliable, disposable box I am ready to try compiling.   
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 05:17:33 PM by softwaregurl »

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2008, 04:00:05 PM »
I have an AMD k6 that is 450mhz, and it will not run i686 compiled apps.  I am almost done rebuilding GTK2.  The GTK2 apps are mostly small and shouldn't take long.  I will finish GTK2, Openssl, and Xchat and a few others tonight.

If there are other apps that anyone has trouble with due to this issue mention them here and they will be put in front of the line.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 04:02:37 PM by Jason W »

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2008, 08:26:18 PM »
GTK2, openssl + devs, leafpad, Xchat are rebuilt as i486 and in the TCE extension area.  I will convert those to TCZ tomorrow. 

Softwaregurl,

I didn't see that last of your post as I was going to ask you to test the apps with your machine.  Well, my beloved P4 can go back in the closet for safekeeping since GTK2 is rebuilt, and the AMD K6 can come out as a test box.  Some guys garage their best cars saving them for the car show; I do that with my best PC.  I have many good Pentium 2's and 3's to get use out of first ( makes no sense so don't ask me why ).  Anyway, back to compiling...

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2008, 07:26:52 AM »
I see Plug and Play Aware O/S in a lot of old bios.  Is TC?
Linux in general is a plug-and-play OS, instead of plug-and-pray ;)

If that option is off, the bios initializes all devices -> longer boot, but may improve ISA cards in linux
If on -> bios part of boot faster, no devices initialized. Linux can usually initialize everything, but there are some weird chips that it can't handle yet.

Offline softwaregurl

• Suspended
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2008, 07:39:27 AM »
Thanks curaga.
Jason W, no info file for xchat and others.  404 from site http://tinycorelinux.com/files/tce/xchat-2.8.6.tcel.info

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2008, 07:50:46 AM »
softwaregurl,
Xchat and some of the -dev extensions were properly renamed to .tce rather than .tcel as they contain no shared libraries.  Until the info list in the repository refreshes itself ( it does so once a day I believe ) those extensions that were renamed are not visible on the site or accessable by the extension appbrowser.  It is there as

http://tinycorelinux.com/files/tce/xchat-2.8.6.tce
http://tinycorelinux.com/files/tce/xchat-2.8.6.tce.info
http://tinycorelinux.com/files/tce/xchat-2.8.6.tce.md5.txt

The TCE extensions will be dealt with first, then converted to TCZ and uploaded when that is done.  For the next few days or so there will be extensions that do not show up for a while during this process, but hopefully not many.

I have not tested them out on my AMD but they work on my main PC.  But they should be fine since they were built as i486.

Offline softwaregurl

• Suspended
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2008, 08:14:05 AM »
xchat works now but I did still have to get gtk+ and openssl for it to work.  Im in #tinycorelinux now.