General TC > General TC Talk

TC for Raspberry Pi

<< < (4/5) > >>

caminati:
The brand new project http://olimex.wordpress.com/2012/03/07/imx233-olinuxino-development-started-today/ looks like a serious one.

Also,

--- Quote ---If there are interested software developers please contact us at www.olimex.com in 2 weeks we will have some limited number of hardware prototypes to ship to the interested to participate in the project development.
--- End quote ---
sounds like a call to developers of TC, which could be an appropriate distro, given the limited capabilities of the thingie.
What do people here think?

curaga:
IMHO it's far too low-end, a few notches below the Pi even. It also seems to be targetting the Arduino market, instead of the htpc/small server/etc that I see the Pi as for.

Also the perf/$ is horrible, both by itself and compared to the Pi (which also isn't that great by that metric).

With 64mb of ram it's going to be tight for many uses.

caminati:

--- Quote from: curaga on March 10, 2012, 11:32:41 PM ---IMHO it's far too low-end, a few notches below the Pi even. It also seems to be targetting the Arduino market, instead of the htpc/small server/etc that I see the Pi as for.

--- End quote ---

Yes, but demonstrating that TC can run on it would be a point alone.
If Arduino has market, this probably will, too. And, betting on its success, the linux distro being available for it could receive some wordspread.
Also, if you browse Raspi forums, you will find many people having in mind uses for which the iMX233 would be fit.

--- Quote ---Also the perf/$ is horrible, both by itself and compared to the Pi (which also isn't that great by that metric).
With 64mb of ram it's going to be tight for many uses.

--- End quote ---

I think that below a certain price threshold, $ metric dominates perf/$.
Just curious: what are good pieces of hardware maximizing perf/$ metric you know of?

curaga:

--- Quote ---Yes, but demonstrating that TC can run on it would be a point alone.
--- End quote ---

It's an armv5, ~400Mhz, 64mb. AFAIK the only existing distro that does compatible binaries is Debian oldstable.
Again, setting the baseline to that would then penalize the Pi, or require two ports.

Merely running TC would take over half of that ram.

Of course, just because I don't see much point doesn't mean it won't happen if someone wants to make it so.

--- Quote ---I think that below a certain price threshold, $ metric dominates perf/$.
Just curious: what are good pieces of hardware maximizing perf/$ metric you know of?
--- End quote ---

On the arm front, looking forward to the Rhombus Tech A10 board. On "existing ARM", the Pi is about the same price while being much better hw (not counting the huge Farnell margins).

In general, right now I'm running an AMD X6, I think it cost 120e. It's been very good for my uses, I can well make use of the six cores.

caminati:

--- Quote from: curaga on March 11, 2012, 01:43:18 AM ---
It's an armv5, ~400Mhz, 64mb. AFAIK the only existing distro that does compatible binaries is Debian oldstable.

Again, setting the baseline to that would then penalize the Pi, or require two ports.
On the arm front, looking forward to the Rhombus Tech A10 board. On "existing ARM", the Pi is about the same price while being much better hw (not counting the huge Farnell margins).

--- End quote ---
I'vn't understood yet when, where and at what price rpi will be available, then there is the latest ethernet port problem.
This is getting tiring, after months, so I'm turning my head elsewhere.
Rhombus-tech, too seem somehow stuck, at least taking the activity on news, pcb and bugtraking pages as an assessment. irc and mailing list are discussing about taking part to gsoc, sigh.
olinuxino guys are talking of a matter of days, let's see.
Moreover, this thing will probably be quite open: I understand that they're avoiding gpu-related closures by not having a gpu :)
I've taken a look at the SoC massive manual, and, if I'm not wrong, it will only have basic vesa modes.

--- Quote ---Merely running TC would take over half of that ram.
Of course, just because I don't see much point doesn't mean it won't happen if someone wants to make it so.

--- End quote ---

I will try and see if I can get one.
My point in echoing that to the forum was that maybe if the TC developers contacted the olimex guys, they could have got an alpha unit.
However, I realize that would mean a lot of work, so maybe it's best to wait the more powerful realizations.

--- Quote ---In general, right now I'm running an AMD X6, I think it cost 120e. It's been very good for my uses, I can well make use of the six cores.

--- End quote ---

Too powerful, there's no fun running TC on it :)

PS: Maybe this topic should be moved to another section of the forum? I fail to see how it belongs here.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version