WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: TinyCore with Symantec Ghost using PXE  (Read 27557 times)

Offline funguy

Re: TinyCore with Symantec Ghost using PXE
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2012, 04:45:18 PM »
>>A: a running windows OS in order to create a core remaster
  The ghost linux files are also on the GSS 2.5 installation cd (/mnt/sr0/Linux/LinuxTools.tgz)

>>B: a virtual linux machine with 256MB RAM
  I just wanted to save a few cds during the remaster..anyone can burn the original tinycore cd and boot a real machine to create the ezremaster

>>C: a second running windows OS with a pxe server.
   Or a linux server for pxe.  Linux is more stable.  Just add an samba share for image storage.

>>... and all that just to be able to run the linux version of ghost...
    Well when you put it like that it is a lot   :)  I do prefer to run ghost from my parted magic pxe image.  Until I figure out why occasional storage modules need to be script launched like hpsa, which only works on newer hp proliants.  I have been putting a lot more effort into making tinycore play nice with all the machines I image regularly. I would just use clonezilla but there are drawbacks, like the fact it can't shrink partitions easily during restore.  Truth is, I just love the wbar in tinycore and the smaller overall size too much to stop trying to perfect it.  Hence the script to help reduce human error as I remaster.

>>then I really don't get the point.
   I just wanted a smaller pxe like tinycore os that has lots of drivers to help ghost image newer hardware.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2012, 02:25:34 AM »
   I just wanted a smaller pxe like tinycore os that has lots of drivers to help ghost image newer hardware.

Oh, nothing against that; I assume tinypoodle's main criticism was about the use of Windows, we are on a linux forum after all ;)

Also TC itself can run as a PXE server.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2012, 08:04:56 AM »
Thanks for all clarifications.

First thing coming to my mind when reading "core + ghost" would be booting a DOS image with ghost from a pxe server running under core...

Note that a pxe server is included in base, including a configuration "wizard", very simple and very low in requirements (X not required).
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline jonatj

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2012, 09:12:15 PM »
Wow funguy, I love what you've done.  I want to use the Tiny Core Builder for VMware View Client and PXE boot it.

The URL for the builder is: "repurpose dot vmwarecloud dot at" 

It looks like the cr_tc-initrd.sh dumps the contents of core.gz and the files listed in copy2fs.lst and merges them in a temp folder and repacks it.  Does it also copy all the files from cde\optional?  And, what does the bootsync.sh line do? 

Then your script adds the Ghost files into the proper folders (using tmp\newinit) and then repack it.  Since the cde\optional folder has a bunch of extensions including the View Client, how would you merge these into the core.gz?  Would the cr_tc-initrd.sh work?

Thanks,

Jonathan

******************UPDATE - 11/1/2012******************

I was able to run the cr_tc-initrd.sh with a slight modification.  Instead of copying the files from copy2fs.lst, I used the onboot.lst.  This seemed to work and when I booted from PXE the GUI started.  However, I think the View Client may have some trouble starting because I see the desktop background and the WBar, but when View Client launches there is a black screen with an X cursor.  So there is something still amiss, but its a pretty good start.  The core.gz is only 20MB! 
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 08:41:36 PM by jonatj »

Offline funguy

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2013, 08:53:09 AM »
Weird thing happened.  I tried 4.7.2 and my base extensions were missing after I ran my old add_ghost_and_create_pxe_core.sh script.  Here is a new fixed script that seems to work better by adding the base extensions to ezremaster.cfg.  Any help improving this script is gladly accepted.  The CDE folder is still auto deleted so that PXE is easier.  PXE is tested and working fine with this new script.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 01:38:38 PM by funguy »

Offline sebus

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2013, 10:38:55 AM »
Thanks funguy for an excellent post.
I have created my image by hand (while adding scsi/raid drivers)
The speed of PXE booting TC beats any WinPE iso hands down.

Definitely best solution around (as long as Symantec produces Linux version...)

sebus

Offline sebus

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2013, 08:40:48 AM »
Just one issue with Optiplex 360 & 380

I use ghost to auto reboot after finish -rb

Machine starts the shutdown, but never passes beyond System Restating - but it never does!

Most likely the issue as here

sebus
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 08:54:27 AM by sebus »

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2013, 10:15:39 AM »
Not the same, as that is in the kernel.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline sebus

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2013, 10:28:19 AM »
Exactly, can not reboot TCL on this machine either (by normal reboot), just the fact that Ghost invokes the command, makes no difference
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 11:14:07 AM by sebus »

Offline TechRavingMad

« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2013, 12:37:08 PM »
I know this has been a while, but is there a how-to on how I can add the megaraid_sas modules to this remastering process?  I'm probably just being dense, but I don't see how to do that as part of the remaster.  Everytime I try something it works fine in my VM, but after copying over the iso it doesn't load the kernel module I need to see my drives.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Offline genec

« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2013, 10:54:05 AM »
I personally would do it via a dynamic remaster like my dynamic multimaster or dynamic remaster (and yes, I have a CPIO.GZ that contains the scsi .tcz and a lot of other kernel module extensions).

Offline sebus

« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2015, 01:15:41 PM »
In case anybody still interested in this.

ghost version 12.0.0.7026 available in trial symantec_deploymentsolution_7_6_x64.msi (only Windows based, but Linux executable is there!) works in 32-bit latest 6.1 core:

Download http://esdownload.symantec.com/akdlm/CD/MTV/symantec_sim_7_6_67_win_en.exe

Install filling whatever info, ignore SQL warning, no reboot, download the trial of Altiris Deployment Solution 7.6 (7.6.1395), extract ghost executables from msi saved in C:\Program Files\Altiris\Symantec Installation Manager\Installs\Altiris

Then one can copy the executable to core.gz following the guide:

http://devblog.htssoft.com/2012/09/customizing-tinycore-linux-install.html

sebus

edit:

Newer version of ghost 2.0.0.7031 is available in Symantec_deploymentsolution_7_6_hf1_x64.msi
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 01:25:02 PM by sebus »

Offline sebus

« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2015, 07:14:54 AM »
Ghost build 12.0.0.8019 (did not yet test it)

Code: [Select]
Open this link (pref in IE11), no need to download anything
https://www4.symantec.com/Vrt/offer?a_id=32763
then download
http://esdownload.symantec.com/akdlm/CD/MTV/Symantec_Ghost_Solution_Suite_3_0_HF4.exe

A new version of LessMSI has been released (v1.4), which adds Win10 support.
LessMSI allows extracting files from MSI files with a nice GUI, and can clearly display the contents inside the MSI.
7-Zip can also open MSI files, but in some cases (like the Ghost MSI) cannot display the contents properly.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 07:17:34 AM by sebus »

Offline sebus

« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2015, 08:54:55 AM »
msi with Standard tools only

Code: [Select]
http://esdownload.symantec.com/akdlm/CD/MTV/Symantec_Ghost_Standard_Tools_3_0_HF4.msi
Ghost works fine in TC 6.4.1

Offline sebus

« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2015, 01:12:55 PM »
Linux executable is only 32-bit, so only works with TinyCore-6.4.1.iso, but NOT with TinyCorePure64-6.4.1.iso (pity)