WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Welcome SCMs !!  (Read 3810 times)

Offline Laudan

Welcome SCMs !!
« on: February 19, 2012, 04:42:13 PM »
SCMs are just what I had been looking for ever since I took up Linux.
The idea of self-contained applications, which is already popular in Windows (portable applications) and in Mac OS X (application directories) is something that we really, really needed in Linux. Thanks Robert, Jason and the team!

I am fully willing to pay the price of additional memory use for a self-contained application, for a simple reason: I want to be sure that all the dependencies of my application are always in apple pie order, safe within a protected boundary. No system update should be able to mess with my dependencies and to make my application unusable!
It's like living in a fortress, if you like.

The peace of mind that one gets from such a safe system will definitely outweight the downsides!!

Long live SCMs!

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
Re: Welcome SCMs !!
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 09:11:45 PM »
Hi Laudan.  I also was 'bitten' with the self contained model once I re-familiarized myself with it.  Shared vs self contained both have their ups and downs.  And I respect that many of us, users and extension makers alike, will simply stick with the tcz format.  After all, why fix a process that is not broken.

Please feel free to post any scm extension requests.

Offline spence91

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 03:19:37 AM »
Presumably you could run these on any Linux distribution?

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 04:46:30 AM »
For the most part on any current one, if you create an /apps/extension_name directory and mount the extension to that mountpoint.