WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Samsung Unified Linux driver + CLX-3185 + TC CUPS-strategy  (Read 28191 times)

Offline Yleisajattelija

Samsung Unified Linux driver + CLX-3185 + TC CUPS-strategy
« on: February 17, 2012, 01:38:31 AM »
Samsung has multifunction printer/scanner Linux driver pack including only few distros. TC is missing, of course.

It is well known problem with Linux that distros uses many file formats and it is impossible to install driver by standard manner. I had lot of troubles to install CUPS-driver to TC, and it is still crude "all lib stuff persistence" version, because I haven't found yet all files attached by CUPS/Ghostscript filters and config files.

Samsung install script should be modified to TC-style script to make valid TC-extension.

Should have specification for TC -CUPS system file structure, is there any?

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
Re: Samsung Unified Linux driver + CLX-3185 + TC CUPS-strategy
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 02:48:25 AM »
Should have specification for TC -CUPS system file structure, is there any?

the cups extension file structure is that created by ./configure --prefix=/usr/local - you can look at the extension .list file to see the full details

Offline Yleisajattelija

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 02:48:37 AM »
Didn't found much from FHS_3.0 (draft) or  CUPS.org, either.

Up to TC, I think.

Offline Yleisajattelija

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 03:04:07 AM »
I think that /usr/local is part of the problem. My TC CUPS thinks that rastertosamsungs.plc raster file path should be at /usr/lib, not /usr/local/lib.

One part of the problem is local/shared printer, both seems to use their own config files.

How are those CUPS vars handled? cupsd.conf should be configured, but where?

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 04:07:14 AM »
/usr/local/etc/cups/cupsd.conf

Offline beerstein

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 08:43:15 AM »
HI: Hope this fits in here-
I am trying for month to hook up a Samsung SCX-4521F MF to my TC 3.8.4
I used a "SCX4521.ppd"  from the openprinting.org website to install the printer. It never worked. The best result was a completed
print job generating an empty page - error message in the log file.

Question: Is the .ppd file enough to install a printer or do I also need an additional driver?

During the cups configuration procedure (localhost:631) the software asks to select a printer from a menu or down under the menu you may select a space where the apropriate .ppd file is located.
I discovered that the printer manufacturers listed in the menu are generated by: gutenprint.tcz and/or hplip2.x.tcz. If you do not install gutenprint or hplip there are only one or two printer brands to select from.
t(w)o be(ers) or not t(w)o be(ers) that is the question

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 09:43:02 AM »
Maybe this is what you're looking for?

http://splix.ap2c.org/

Offline Yleisajattelija

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 11:49:59 AM »
.ppd driver is not enough, CUPS daemon must started (see TC FAQ, for help) and lot of other things, too. Big problem is library locations, because TC CUPS installation point is "/usr/local" instead of "/usr" for many distroes. For that reason, Samsung Unified Driver installer loads libraries and raster files to wrong directory.

I try to document Samsung unified driver installation when sane part is done, unfortunately THAT will take some time.

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 01:09:51 AM »
Big problem is library locations, because TC CUPS installation point is "/usr/local" instead of "/usr" for many distroes. For that reason, Samsung Unified Driver installer loads libraries and raster files to wrong directory.

Most installers are smart enough to figure that out, but if not, I suspect simply moving the relevent files under /usr/local will work

Offline beerstein

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 10:49:08 AM »
HI: I have a Samsung MF 4521F and I am still trying to hook it to my TCL 3.8.4 system.
I have the .ppd for this machine and the newest cups 1.44 running. With ghostscript, ghostcript_common and foomatic-rip on boot the install procedure in localhost:631 works OK.
But I am getting filter errors such as"job stopped due to filter errors"
There is only one foomatic-rip (binary) at the TCL 3.X repo which does not need Perl any more. It is not very new and I think it might work only with the cups 1311

The CD which came with the MultiFunction has two Linux drivers. The Unified and another one. There is also an install script.
The scripts start but crash with error messages.
This Samsung MF supports only the Samsung Page Description Language SPL. No other printer languages supported. This is no good. Next time I am going to buy a printer or MF I will take a closer look at the specs or move to HP, Canon or Epson.

I looked at splix and will try to install it. But into which location (folder) do I need to install this drivers?
t(w)o be(ers) or not t(w)o be(ers) that is the question

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2012, 08:29:02 PM »
I looked at splix and will try to install it. But into which location (folder) do I need to install this drivers?

If you compile it with "--prefix=/usr/local" I believe it will put the files in the correct place

Offline Yleisajattelija

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2012, 11:08:04 PM »
Last night I digged TC7Sane internals.

a) Bourne shell seems to be good choise, bash generates "mentally invalid"  installation scipts
b) usbfs is valid for udev systems
c) sane-find-scanner finds CLX-3185, -> usbfs is alive
d) scanimage -L won't find CLX-3185, conflicting/missing udev rules suspected
e) Unified Linux driver tries to install 98 and 99 rules, there seems to be TC staff on 98, sane default is 65
f) There is sane scripts tools/udev directory, which probably can be used to re-installs rules for sane

What is TC strategy for maintaining udev-rules? Rules update needs some sort of state-machine to be stable (Xorg crashes are probably due this same problem).

Offline Yleisajattelija

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2012, 10:52:49 PM »
Okay, NOW I see, this "/usr/local" installation point is for PPI method.

Anyway, SANE/CUPS extension maintainer should notice these numerous side effects when changing installation point and at least set those file-location vars correctly.

Of course, if EVERYONE other distros are using "/usr" installation point, coders may hardcode some of those library directories. That's ALSA problem.

Hmm... who is SANE extension maintainer?

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2012, 10:58:53 PM »
Hi Yleisajattelija
Hmm... who is SANE extension maintainer?
Read the  Info  tab in AppBrowser.

Offline Yleisajattelija

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2012, 11:02:04 PM »
Okay, SANE maintainer seems to be Jason W.