WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: HOWDY!!!  (Read 3442 times)

Offline superj

• possibly know less then everyone else here
HOWDY!!!
« on: February 09, 2012, 03:54:30 PM »
hey everyone,  i am new here  (like y'all couldn't tell)

anyways,  i am amazed that something like this Tiny Core has been around all this time and i know no one who has ever heard of it.  shoot,  i just heard about because i somehow found damn small linux and read what happen to that and then found the dude who started this and a link from a page he wrote led me here.

i,  like many others, do not enjoy the huge operating systems on the market now days.  i try to not run windows on anything at the house but being that i am about as computer illiterate as a person can be,  i have a hard time using stuff that is not fairly friendly.  i currently run ubuntu 10.something on my laptops and pc at the house and like it but i want something faster that doesn't have a bunch of extra junk.  i only use the photo editor,  the text editor,  and the internet browser.  that is what led me to looking for something else,  and finding,  accidentally,  dsl.  then,  finding this.

onto the introduction.  i live in south south texas,  on the gulf of mexico.  i grew up in socal and moved here as a senior in high school.  my dad and my brother are computer programmers but i lived with my mom and step dad so i grew up doing blue collar jobs and never had a computer or used one regularly till joining the military in 1995.  while in the military i learned how to really screw a pc up so i was moved to somewhere that didn't require computers and i got out of the military and didn't use a computer again till about 2000.  i acquired an old p1 proc powered pc from a friend and learned quickly how to access the internet without having to pay for access through one of hte providers but that came to an end soon and life moved on.  after some years and moves,  i now have a p4 pc,  a p4 laptop, and a dual core laptop.  i have broken them a number of times but not having the luxury of having my bro or dad close by,  i had to figure out how to fix them myself so i can physically put together a computer and i cna install an operating system.  that is the extent of my computer knowledge which i believe falls into the realm of knowing enough to be dangerous but not helpful.

i used to race bmws as a hobby and now build jeeps.  i have a degree in aviation technology, powerplants and a degree in aviation technology, airframes. 

enough boring stuff,  onto the fun.

i will ask you  guys tons of horribly annoying questions and i will probably ask you to type things out line by line because i won't understand something you tell me but i can sometimes come up with some funny answers in return for your help.  :)

i am going to try and download tc and put it on my old p4 hp laptop but i know it won't work the first three or four times so be ready!!

thanks everyone,

jason
i can't help with anything computer related but if you are near my house and have trouble,  i can fix almost anything.  :)

Offline vinnie

• HandMace informatic works
Re: HOWDY!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 05:08:11 PM »
Our pleasure, I like the funny replies :)

Offline Lee

• My Core wiki user page
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 10:12:41 PM »
Hi superj, and welcome aboard.

Don't sell yourself short - if you've broken a few machines and fixed them yourself (especially if you've -successfully- fixed them yourself) and you've installed the occasional operating system, you have already demonstrated a willingness to experiment and learn.  Before long you will bear the coveted title of "geek"!

32 bit core4.7.7, Xprogs, Xorg-7.6, wbar, jwm  |  - Testing -
PPR, data persistence through filetool.sh          |  32 bit core 8.0 alpha 1
USB Flash drive, one partition, ext2, grub4dos  | Otherwise similar

Offline superj

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 05:55:23 AM »
That is how I learn about computers, ha ha ha. I try something and the machine stops so I have to google on how to get it going again.  I am working on a particularly hard laptop right now because it stopped working and I wasn't the one who broke it so I don't know exactly what happened.  Then to make it more fun, my son took it completely apart.  I really hope to get it working working because it is my favorite laptop, a p3 1g Dell that I took everywhere when I have to go tdy for work. 

As long as I can fond something on google telling me how to do something, roughly, I am ok.

Sorry if anything is spelled or worded weird,  I am on my iPhone and sometimes it changes words on me and I don't notice till later on
i can't help with anything computer related but if you are near my house and have trouble,  i can fix almost anything.  :)

Offline floppy

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 07:24:40 AM »

i am going to try and download tc and put it on my old p4 hp laptop but i know it won't work the first three or four times so be ready!!

I received a P4 today from eBay: HP DC7100. according order, it is >1GB RAM and >2.8GHz and >20 Gig HDD.
So, youre not alone doing that.
If you are quicker, I perhaps need your help...;-)
So, please keep your eyes open here.. and please help where you can (me especially with my P4).
I will first put a multicore.iso into the CD-reader and see what happens during boot.
Later I will try:
- boot from USB
- or just put the plop-bootloader on the HDD for booting from the USB (if the BIOS dont recognise my USB)
- then update the BIOS (or order a new BIOS chip at www.biosflash.com).. put a bigger processor.. put 3 HDDs > 1TB for data server.. etc.  samba..
AMD K6-IIIATZ 550MHz MB DFI K6xv3/+66
P4 HP DC7100 3GB 3GHz
Samsung NC10 boot from SD card port (via USB reader)
.. all TinyCore proofed

Offline vinnie

• HandMace informatic works
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 07:28:59 AM »
iPhone is not geek!  :P

Offline superj

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 11:12:48 AM »
This iPhone is a dork.  I tried a number of different hack programs because of the iOS that was on it and it took about 3 days to finally crack it.  I had to use the iPad software though, which is a major bummer but since my cliq died in use, I had to do something.

I did get tiny core on the ol' p4 and it ran great.