WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: Core V4.3rc2  (Read 14223 times)

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
Core V4.3rc2
« on: February 06, 2012, 10:17:28 AM »
The second release candidate of Core 4.3 is ready for public testing:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/tinycorelinux/4.x/x86/release_candidates

The major theme for Core v4.3 is self contained mountable/unmountable applicaton extensions.

Change log RC1:
* New scm-load for new extension type supports icon removals and menu updates from all supported window managers.
* New scm an 'ab' like command line tool to maintain scms, browser repo, list local, install, uninstall, add to boot, and remove from boot, etc.
* New scmbrowser an FLTK GUI to manage your scm extensions.
* New scm-fetch.sh and scm-search new internally used support programs for scms.
* Updated tce-setup to load/mount scm via scmboot.lst
* Updated busybox with latest password patch.
* Updated tce-update to use md5.db file for quick updating and checking with AppsAudit.
* Updated tc-functions to correct virtual disk mounting.
* Updated tc-config to support CSV in blacklist boot code.
* Updated rc.shutdown to allow persistent home & opt inside a virtual loop mounuted disk.
* Updated tc-terminal-server for new core name.
* wbar.tcz new icon for scmbrowser, code cleanup in rm icon and nohup to wbar.sh
* Xlibs.tcz added Sytem Tools menu for scm.
* Xprogs.tcz for new scmbrowser.

Note: All seven supported window managers have been updated to support scm type extensions.
I have recently posted them to the regular tcz repository.

You will need to update your WM as well as Xlibs, Xprogs, and wbar which are in the release candidate area.

==================
Change log RC2:
* Updated scmbrowser Local->Updates option. Unmounted updates in place, mounted/in use requires reboot.
* Updated appbrowser mirror/search GUI anomaly and writable TCEDIR as reported.
* Updated Xlibs.tcz, Xprogs.tcz, and wbar.tcz to support Xprogs.tcz OnDemand.
* Minor adjustments to freedesktop items as requested.
* New scmbrowser icon.

Note must update your Xlibs.tcz, Xprogs.tcz, and wbar.tcz as may be required.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline maro

Re: Core V4.3rc2
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 01:41:16 PM »
After gazing at the change in '/usr/bin/setupdesktop' for a bit I've come to the conclusion that merely adding a comment line was probably not the aim. In particular the fact that the comment is (apart for the leading '# ') identical to the following line, makes me wonder if this is rather an attempt to disable said line gone wrong. And that the line was just not removed as it was probably intended.

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 12:10:04 AM »
What is about .scm dependency handling? For example l3afpad.scm depends on gtk3.scm and Xorg-7.6-libs.tcz but they are not installed ScmBowser so you have to find what is missing and install manually. OK, if something is self contained it means no dependencies, however...
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 12:15:33 AM »
An .scm doesn't get mounted at next boot, you have to add it manually to the boot list. It would be logical to add automatically. If it is downloaded, user want to use it in most cases.
Béla

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 12:16:56 PM »
After gazing at the change in '/usr/bin/setupdesktop' for a bit I've come to the conclusion that merely adding a comment line was probably not the aim. In particular the fact that the comment is (apart for the leading '# ') identical to the following line, makes me wonder if this is rather an attempt to disable said line gone wrong. And that the line was just not removed as it was probably intended.
:-[

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 12:20:28 PM »
What is about .scm dependency handling? For example l3afpad.scm depends on gtk3.scm and Xorg-7.6-libs.tcz but they are not installed ScmBowser so you have to find what is missing and install manually. OK, if something is self contained it means no dependencies, however...
But if you use this tool, scmbrowser, the dependencies follow. So the suggestion is, I don't want to use this tool, I want to manually download scms individually, then I want to use this tool to fix things up?
OK. But seems backwards to me, as you are eventually using the tool that you didn't choose to use.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 12:22:10 PM »
An .scm doesn't get mounted at next boot, you have to add it manually to the boot list. It would be logical to add automatically. If it is downloaded, user want to use it in most cases.
Given the current direction that scms are being used, I would agree. I will make such adjustment.

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 10:57:00 PM »
But if you use this tool, scmbrowser, the dependencies follow. So the suggestion is, I don't want to use this tool, I want to manually download scms individually, then I want to use this tool to fix things up?
OK. But seems backwards to me, as you are eventually using the tool that you didn't choose to use.

No. What I'm saying is that installing l3afpad.scm gtk3.scm is not installed, neither Xorg-7-6-libs.tcz by ScmBrowser. It can be an issue of l3afpad.scm don't know. Try it on a stock 4.3rc2
Béla

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 11:33:41 AM »
Reposted Xlibs.tcz and Xprogs.tcz with small update for writable tce check. Will be rolled into next cut.

Offline AbNoRMiS

• nothing can be impeccable in this imperfect world
    • @ß№®M!$
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2012, 09:55:16 AM »
dear roberts
may be better if to place the scm separately from tcz, as in the repository, rather than simply a bunch?
for example /tce/applications (or /tce/programs) and /tce/optional
when they in large numbers would be easier to find out what applications are downloaded,
and  if uninstall an application that doesn't need more, easier to find and remove it
(without removing any extra files due to the extremely unfortunate set of circumstances :) )
also it seems to me that it will be more convenient when updating applications and packages via ftp

p.s.
sorry for offtopic, but pity that the wget option --timestamp was not included in appbrowser initially
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 12:05:59 PM by AbNoRMiS »
Basic Design Concept © @ß№®M!$
please forgive my terrible english :)

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2012, 04:04:49 PM »

No. What I'm saying is that installing l3afpad.scm gtk3.scm is not installed, neither Xorg-7-6-libs.tcz by ScmBrowser. It can be an issue of l3afpad.scm don't know. Try it on a stock 4.3rc2
I had based my comments on loading midori.scm.
How would such dependencies for l3afpad load given that there is no l3afpad.scm.dep?

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2012, 04:11:08 PM »
dear roberts
may be better if to place the scm separately from tcz, as in the repository, rather than simply a bunch?
for example /tce/applications (or /tce/programs) and /tce/optional
when they in large numbers would be easier to find out what applications are downloaded,
and  if uninstall an application that doesn't need more, easier to find and remove it
(without removing any extra files due to the extremely unfortunate set of circumstances :) )
also it seems to me that it will be more convenient when updating applications and packages via ftp

p.s.
sorry for offtopic, but pity that the wget option --timestamp was not included in appbrowser initially
I would agree if scms were indeed sc. However, given that scms are not truly sc it is better to have dependencies in the same place rather than to having to be searching for them. As it is the level of complication (dependencies) is again increasing the complexitiy of the system.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2012, 05:03:31 PM »
l3afpad.scm.dep added.

I am open to making scm's truly sc.  That is actually my own preference, though I thought that making the large toolkits as shared deps would be more palatable as we are used to efficiency.  But, we have the tcz if we want shared libs and maximum memory and size/download efficiency. 

Larger size is the price of simplicity and non-breakable reliability.  Though with no scm being used as a dep, then there can be more stripping of development flies and stuff from scm's.    Gtk2 takes up about 7MB of RAM per instance.  I imagine QT would be similar.  For a modern machine that is peanuts.  And older machines can run the same apps, just perhaps not as many different ones as once.  How many different apps do we run at once anyway? 

The build system for scm's makes it easy to build gtk2 with one click, so I am game for a truly sc scm.  We can discuss further in the scm area if there are any ideas or concerns.

Offline Jason W

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2012, 05:29:51 PM »
But to build gtk2 or gtk3 into every small gtk2 app is going to be a real pain. Same with qt if it emerges. 

How about to start with this, we only allow scm's to be in the dep files of scm's.  Everything else needs to  be in the scm.  That way no slippery slope of dependencies on tcz's   And then only one or two entries would be in the scm.dep file.   And then we could have a separate scm "tce" directory if desired.

I will copy Xorg-$VER-lib into the gtk2 and gtk3 scms, and rid of the Xorg-lib dependency. Building against the gtk2 in /apps would need Xorg-lib  and Xorg-dev installed, but those are build deps and not runtime deps, which will not be in an scm dep file but rather in the buildscm include files.

EDIT:  All scm's now only depend on scm's.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 06:16:19 PM by Jason W »

Offline AbNoRMiS

• nothing can be impeccable in this imperfect world
    • @ß№®M!$
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2012, 04:36:43 PM »
stopped working the function "download only" in scmbrowser

and i'm sorry for the next stupid question :)
/apps/bin will be added to the path by /etc/scel/.profile in the next releases?
Basic Design Concept © @ß№®M!$
please forgive my terrible english :)