WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: [Solved] AppBrowser "Connection Error" on version 4.2.1, not 3.8  (Read 2633 times)

Offline MikeLockmoore

• Good software needn't be big!
Hi.  I've been slow to upgrade to 4.x.  I'm trying now, but have an issue... :'(

I'm trying to install 4.2.1 on a PC that has had (and still has) TC 3.8.  I can boot into 4.2.1 and using NORESTORE bootcode get a clean default X+FLTK desktop.  I can get an Ethernet connection and can ping, nslookup, and wget outside stuff like the tinycore index.html from ibiblio.org.  But every time I try to use the Appbrowser to connect, I get the standard "Connection error..." pop up message.  I looked over the earlier AppBrowser Connection Error threads, but it seems most of those were basic connection errors or proxy configuration problems... I'm not trying to use a proxy right now, just a residential cable service.  (I'm jacked directly into my cable modem... no router in-between).  Any ideas?  Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 02:55:14 PM by MikeLockmoore »

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: AppBrowser "Connection Error" on version 4.2.1, not 3.8
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 04:39:05 AM »
Could be something between you and ibiblio. If you don't already have mirrors.tcz, grab it and try another mirror:
http://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/metalab/distributions/tinycorelinux/4.x/x86/tcz/mirrors.tcz
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 06:42:31 AM »
Hi MikeLockmoore
There were some changes made as to what goes into  /opt  and what goes into  /etc/sysconfig
in TC4.2rc1, see the release notes. Maybe you have a persistent  /opt  that is causing this?

Offline floppy

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 06:42:59 AM »
I tried this.
But a manual copy to "optional" is not possible; no "sudo chmod 777 optional" or fluff paste with sudo
works
error = "Read-only file system".
So, how to install manually mirrors.tcz?
AMD K6-IIIATZ 550MHz MB DFI K6xv3/+66
P4 HP DC7100 3GB 3GHz
Samsung NC10 boot from SD card port (via USB reader)
.. all TinyCore proofed

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 08:47:09 AM »
Floppy, please do not hijack threads.
Start your own.

Offline MikeLockmoore

• Good software needn't be big!
[Solved] Re: AppBrowser "Connection Error" on version 4.2.1, not 3.8
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 02:54:41 PM »
Solved.  :D  My directory for holding extensions and the options subdirectory had funny permission settings.  chmod-ing them to 775 fixed it.  I set up 4.2.1 as a frugal installation and copied parts of the current .iso to its fugal home, but did not notice the permissions were wonky.  Now AppBrowser can fetch the extension list and then fetch and install extensions.

A bit more on how I figured it out... I used the command-line AppBrowser 'ab' to try to fetch and install some extensions.  After I manually wget-ted the info.lst file of all the extensions I was able to use the command-line AppBrowser to browse the repository and look up dependencies, file lists, and so on for various extensions.  However, when I tried to actually fetch and install an extension, I got a message that the permission was invalid.  At first I thought it might be a permission issue with the repository server, but then I thought it could be on my local system and checked that.  I compared the new 4.2.1 frugal folders with an earlier install and found a difference.  Changing to the same permission settings for my TCE directory as the older install fixed it.  I wonder if some of the other people's problems with AppBrowser could be the same cause.  The "Connection Error" message is rather misleading.  I may post a suggestion to avoid this in another thread.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 06:12:31 AM by MikeLockmoore »