WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: corepkg - a new core package and updates manager  (Read 32856 times)

Offline martin

corepkg - a new core package and updates manager
« on: January 28, 2012, 06:28:19 PM »
Instead of trying to match all current md5 files against the ones in the repository, which generates a LOT of small web server requests to the repository and can take a long time, depending on how many extensions you have, CorePkg downloads one small database quickly and then simply matches against that. Downloads are only made from the repository if there is an outdated package or you are fetching a new package database, and never at any other time. This means update checks are performed in mere seconds, rather than potentially much longer. For more details, check my profile.

Another benefit is instant keyword searches for additional extensions you are interested in, and another is built-in offline downloading for your own private network repository or to simply to transfer to your TCL machine if it has no current working internet connection. This saves having to trace dependencies of a program, and all their sub-dependencies. This saves a HUGE amount of time and effort.

Besides the install feature and dependencies check, this program wont do much else without the master package database. Think of this as something along the lines of "apt-get" for TinyCore Linux. ALL updates checking and management is done on the client side and no remote requests are done unless absolutely necessary. This means it is very fast for updates and upgrades checks to be done.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 02:39:16 AM by Martin C »

Offline curaga

• Administrator
Re: corepkg - a new core package and updates manager
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 01:06:46 AM »
Focusing merely on the license, source that you can look at but not modify? Was this intentional?
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline martin

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 10:59:11 PM »
I am awaiting a reply from administration, but if the admins here are happy to generate the master package database on the server/mirror, I will not only release corepkg as a proper extension, but will also re-release it under the GPL v2 license.

I see a few downloads, but that's it. Is there actually any interest in this as a way of speeding up package updates and management on the admin and user side?

Offline paxrex33

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 12:28:45 AM »
Martin, there is interest, of course.
I was waiting for someone to start this issue.
I think that all of us (TC users) should push the admins to generate the database.
I'm sure that it will be much easier to install and update TC extensions with your package.
I don't know what your database looks like but you could consider adding category to every extension (Driver, Office, Utility, Graphics...).
That way new users would find extensions much easier.

Offline ixbrian

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 08:15:21 PM »
Personally, I wouldn't even look at it based on the non-free licensing (and by non-free I'm referring to the FSF definition of free software)

Offline martin

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 08:23:43 PM »
See two posts above. If the program is deemed useful here, I will re-release it under GPL v2. I am setting up a project on sourceforge now for it.

The source was "open" so people would know there is nothing malicious about it, but ideologies are quite strong, so I will do what I can to ensure it doesn't become useless from code rot and disuse. After some good long bit of thinking, I believe converting it to GPL v2 probably would be for the best.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 10:20:15 PM by Martin C »

Offline martin

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2012, 10:23:31 PM »
Ok done, source is available under GPL v2, both corepkg.c and coreupd8.c is now under GPL v2 instead of a simplified BSD license. Sourceforge project URL available in opening post.

Offline martin

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 03:39:16 AM »
A side project of corepkg, is a graphical package manager designed to handle the new features and abilities of corepkg. Think appbrowser combined with synaptic.

Here is a screenshot of it in alpha stage, but already being able to list packages in the master package database (downloaded through "corepkg fetch") and perform a keyword search. I will change it into two text boxes though, one up top with the listing, one down the bottom with extension info, and a status indicator in the middle of whether you already have the extension installed/downloaded or not.

Anyway, I named it CoreSoMe, an unimaginative combination of CorePkg SOftware ManagEr. Sounding like "awesome" was intentional, as that is what I think of the excellent TCL foundation.

edit: Playing around with image display vs attachment.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 03:45:16 AM by Martin C »

Offline vinnie

• HandMace informatic works
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 06:52:56 AM »
I'm curious to see how it will be in the future

Offline martin

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 04:26:49 PM »
Here is v0.2, showing a "Xorg" keyword search, and selecting one of the results:

Offline martin

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 05:35:47 PM »
Well, it has been made explicitly clear to me that TinyCore Linux will not be using nor directly providing the corepkg software for extended package management and updates, so I will be making a remaster instead which will use it for anyone who wants it.

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2012, 11:37:56 PM »
It is not universal but a dedicated TC tool. Why don't you provide .tcz at SourceForge?
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."

Offline paxrex33

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2012, 12:58:08 AM »
That would be the best bmarkus.
Then every user would have the choise...

Offline martin

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2012, 01:12:30 AM »
It is not universal but a dedicated TC tool. Why don't you provide .tcz at SourceForge?
Because users would still need the package database to be available on the repository for it to work properly and I received a message from roberts that they are not willing to do that.

Then every user would have the choise...
That was what I put forth to the admins here but they didn't go for it.

So in order for users to now take advantage of it, I need to create a re-master that is based on it. Which means creating a TinyCore derivative basically, which is 99% TC and uses corepkg and coresome instead of tce-update and appsaudit.

Offline bmarkus

• Administrator
    • My Community Forum
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2012, 01:37:58 AM »
Because users would still need the package database to be available on the repository for it to work properly and I received a message from roberts that they are not willing to do that.

Do not understand. You are promoting a program without making it available in a usable format (aka .tcz) and forcing a user to compile it. Instead of doing a proper job yourself pushing others. Nice approach. I wanted to try it but can't spend time for compilation.

So interest is gone.
Béla
Ham Radio callsign: HA5DI

"Amateur Radio: The First Technology-Based Social Network."