WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: corepkg - a new core package and updates manager  (Read 32860 times)

Offline martin

Re: corepkg - a new core package and updates manager
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2012, 02:17:55 AM »
Quote from: bmarkus
Do not understand. You are promoting a program without making it available in a usable format (aka .tcz)
Because the version of the program for the administration side is compiled with a different setting. I can compile it for administrative use if they want.

forcing a user to compile it.
Chicken and egg I guess. It is useless to users without the package database already generated on the repository (by the admins). I can provide a tcz right now, but users will not be able to use it. Can you use tce-update properly if there are no tcz and md5.txt files in the repository? Same thing, corepkg can't be used properly without pkg.db in the repository.

I wanted to try it but can't spend time for compilation.

So interest is gone.
I compiled it just now, with compiletc.tcz loaded, from the command in the opening post. Worked just fine.

Look, no ill will against the admins here, they just don't want it at the moment, but as something which simplifies some aspects of package manegement and speeds up package updates tremendously, it has a few benefits which can be taken advantage of. I'll create a derivative system and let the users choose.

Offline vinnie

• HandMace informatic works
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2012, 07:41:07 AM »
I do not express regarding the decision to include or not the db (I lack the skills To make this), but if you place on a site the db generated in an automatic way from repository and make a corepkg.tcz pointing directly to the db might work?

Offline martin

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2012, 03:02:26 PM »
I offered that too, no response from the admins.

So I have finished making a TinyCore derivative that is based on CorePkg. It is all GPL and non-commercial. I have a link in my forum signature.

Near complete feature listing of corepkg is:
* Download tcz files, optionally install them.
* Install existing tcz files (tce-load wrapper).
* Fetch package database from master mirror.
* Check and update all existing packages by checking their current md5sum with the new one in the package database.
* Keyword search for any package currently known by the database. Searches the tcz name, the description and the complete info for the keyword.
* Regenerate any missing md5 files.
* Will recursively download a tcz and all missing dependencies for offline use. This is great for downloading on a separate Linux machine all the extensions you want to run on TinyCore if it does not have an internet connection and transferring them over and wanting to know that it will work properly. This is extensively well tested. Others sometimes call this offline downloading.

I hope it proves useful.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2012, 04:07:16 PM »
It is fine that you have decided thet you can make a better dstro than ours.
But where are the sources? You are in violation of the GPL without hosting/providing the sources.
Your link to your external site is in violation of our forum rules and has been removed.
I expect to you respect us and our rules just as now you would expect the same for your site.

I really feel that it is too bad that you cannot join a common effort. But then there are always those that won't.
10+ Years Contributing to Linux Open Source Projects.

Offline martin

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2012, 04:18:03 PM »
But where are the sources? You are in violation of the GPL without hosting/providing the sources.
I only have to show where to get them. I haven't finished the website yet. I was going to link to the TinyCore src and the sourceforge page from the about page.

Your link to your external site is in violation of our forum rules and has been removed.
there are quite a few rules in several places, could you point to the ones I violated in case I overlooked anything?

I really feel that it is too bad that you cannot join a common effort. But then there are always those that won't.
I tried very hard to join the common effort, everything from contribute several extensions to wanting to propose a possible system that is complementary to the base TinyCore idea, but you wouldn't have it. I felt I could handle package updates in a more effective and much faster way than they are currently performed and I displayed it as well as expressing it so as not to seem like I am all words and no action.

So please, tell me how I have fallen foul of your goals and good will by my well intentioned actions.

Offline gerald_clark

• TinyCore Moderator
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2012, 04:21:10 PM »
Linking to someone else's sources is not in compliance with the GPL.  You must provide your own sources.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2012, 04:27:41 PM »
Demanding that we bloat up just to use SQL is the only thing that was rejected.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2012, 04:33:18 PM »
We are not against remasters of Core but trying to comply with the GPL is not easy. I am posting a link to this topic that I was personally, being co-developer of DSL,  involved with at the time.

http://www.linux.com/archive/feature/55285

When I started Tiny Core, I wanted to be sure that GPL sources would be easily available and not have to worry about handling media for such purposes.

Offline martin

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2012, 04:35:51 PM »
Linking to someone else's sources is not in compliance with the GPL.  You must provide your own sources.
I didn't full realise that, and must have had a clause mixed up with GPL v3, which has wording that allows me to provide a link. I am setting up the source directory now.

Offline martin

« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2012, 04:41:37 PM »
Demanding that we bloat up just to use SQL is the only thing that was rejected.
Right, but after careful consideration at the start, I came to the conclusion that using sqlite3 was the only sane and fast way to do what I wanted to do,

You are going after "Tiny Tiny" Core Linux. Based entirely around busybox, as you said.
I am happy with "Tiny Small" Core Linux. I don't mind the extra 400Kb to make the corepkg system work, for my version/remaster. I am based on busybox and sqlite3.

Offline roberts

• Administrator
  • Founder Emeritus
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2012, 04:44:34 PM »
No attribution to Core or all the work of the many volunteers here. You are a real class act.

Offline martin

« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2012, 04:47:52 PM »
No attribution to Core or all the work of the many volunteers here. You are a real class act.
huh? On the sourceforge page, I mention the TinyCore Linux project. On the project forums, I mention TinyCore Linux and provide a link to TinyCore Linux and in the startup scripts of the system, I mention TinyCore Linux. If you download it, check out tc-config in /etc/init.d/. At no point is there not a reference to TinyCore Linux.

edit: Heaven forbid you should look at the about page for my project, which has mentioned TinyCore Linux since the very, very start. Even before I changed the name and was calling it Gadget Linux* (http://www.gadget-linux.info/about.htm) I mention TinyCore Linux.

* Gadget Linux because I wanted to provide a great toolbox to be used with TinyCore Linux, but since there was no administrative support for cooperating with the tools, I went it alone.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 04:51:37 PM by Martin C »

Offline martin

« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2012, 05:35:06 PM »
All sources have been updated. I didn't copy everything because I had only taken 3 utilites (only 2 of which are used in the system at the moment). So kernel, 3 FLTK programs and the busybox stuff. I have updated the about page with this information. The about page, the one where TinyCore Linux acknowledgment and attribution has been since the very beginning...

I will say though, I make no modifications to the GPL'ed programs at all, so why can't I just provide a link to them instead? You don't ask for the source to every extension made, you guys are happy with a link to the home page in the .info file to suffice for those wanting the sources, and those making the extensions are still distributing the software.

edit: Now that this thread is in Remasters/Remixes, I have clarified the opening post as to what CorePkg is for, what it was designed to do and the benefits it brings.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 05:48:13 PM by Martin C »

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2012, 06:02:25 PM »
Hi Martin C
Sources for extensions are here:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/tinycorelinux/4.x/x86/tcz/src/
If the extension was copied from TC3.x without recompiling, the source is here:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/tinycorelinux/3.x/tcz/src/
If it is unchanged since TC2.x, it is here:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/tinycorelinux/2.x/tcz/src/

Offline martin

« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2012, 06:15:32 PM »
Hi Martin C
Sources for extensions are here:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/tinycorelinux/4.x/x86/tcz/src/
Right, must have missed that. Thank you.

I guess I was thinking back to xzgv, xbmc, xterm and xtrans in that noone asked me to provide the source to them when submitting it, and I figured the link to the home page was good enough. Wow, no wonder some program repositories can get quite large. How much space is needed for ALL programs and ALL sources?

I have a few ideas for simplifying some of the stuff in my project to accomodate the extensive source requirement. Might put them to work.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 06:27:21 PM by Martin C »