WelcomeWelcome | FAQFAQ | DownloadsDownloads | WikiWiki

Author Topic: How to remaster Tiny Core?  (Read 10677 times)

Offline StefanSch

How to remaster Tiny Core?
« on: January 22, 2012, 09:03:25 AM »
Since Tiny Core has no GUI, I wonder how I would remaster it. (The ezremaster tool is GUI only, right?)
I like to create a Tiny Core remaster to use "links" for browsing with the Framebuffer device.

Any pointers or experiences would be appreciated.

TIA
Stefan

Offline StefanSch

Re: How to remaster Tiny Core?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 09:07:07 AM »
Ahhrgh, I meant the Core-version, the one without GUI... The naming conventions confuse me, all tiny, sorry.

Offline curaga

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 11:17:56 AM »
The wiki has instructions for manual remasters. But the ezremaster gui is not limited to remastering the version it is running on, you can do a console-based remaster from the gui too.
The only barriers that can stop you are the ones you create yourself.

Offline StefanSch

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 09:55:23 AM »
Thank you.

Offline coreplayer2

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 02:30:35 AM »
When remastering a core install, I cheat.

I install Xvesa, Xprogs.tcz and flwm_topside.tcz  then run ezremaster from the desktop menu and exclude these mentioned tcz's from the remaster.  the result is a core.iso

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 10:52:36 AM »
Hi coreplayer2
Actually that is not cheating, and might be a necessity for someone requiring one of the many
drivers included, such as wireless support or firmware.

Offline med458

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 12:40:32 AM »
Rich: I am wondering, what do you mean firmware, my friend.

Offline tinypoodle

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 01:02:44 AM »
Some wireless and NIC cards require the installation of firmware before becoming functional.
"Software gets slower faster than hardware gets faster." Niklaus Wirth - A Plea for Lean Software (1995)

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2013, 06:44:50 AM »
Hi med458
Basically, firmware determines how a piece of hardware will behave and resides in memory provided by that
hardware, not in the memory that your programs run in. It can consist of data and/or executable code. Historically,
firmware was permanently programmed into hardware before it was shipped. Nowadays, hardware is capable of
being reprogrammed after it's been shipped to fix bugs and provide new features or enhancements. If you have
ever "flashed"  your motherboard or video board, you have changed its firmware. A piece of hardware can also
request firmware in the form of a file during boot time, and that is what is being referred to here, usually involving
a network card.

Offline med458

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2013, 12:41:54 AM »
Hi med458
Basically, firmware determines how a piece of hardware will behave and resides in memory provided by that
hardware, not in the memory that your programs run in. It can consist of data and/or executable code. Historically,
firmware was permanently programmed into hardware before it was shipped. Nowadays, hardware is capable of
being reprogrammed after it's been shipped to fix bugs and provide new features or enhancements. If you have
ever "flashed"  your motherboard or video board, you have changed its firmware. A piece of hardware can also
request firmware in the form of a file during boot time, and that is what is being referred to here, usually involving
a network card.

This was very helpful to me, my friend.  I have had questions about this and now I know the answer.

Offline med458

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2022, 10:14:48 PM »
The wiki has instructions for manual remasters. But the ezremaster gui is not limited to remastering the version it is running on, you can do a console-based remaster from the gui too.

I tried to enter the wiki, but it my user/pass is rejected.  It seems very locked down.  Can it be accessed?

Offline Juanito

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2022, 02:43:49 AM »
Access to the wiki is blocked on the server and we cannot contact the server admin.

Offline Rich

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2022, 06:18:23 AM »
Hi med458
An alternative link for viewing the Wiki can be found here:
http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php/topic,25220.0.html